What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers take over bid

Tiger5150

Bench
What heritage is that?

Tigers have none....

A soulless club foisted on to the public as an appeasement to the Murdochracy.

You have no heritage. You sold it.

If you ceased to exist, your fans have shown they'll be quick to support some other club.

I wasnt making the case of a Tigers heritage, I was responding to Bunniesmans fantasy.

You said it yourself, we havent ceased to exist, and our fans have a principled club to follow.

Back to the original point that I was expressing to Bunniesman. Please point out to me a single actual thing that Souffs did to provide their own future? They did nothing and continually failed until two fairy godfathers bailed them out.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I wasnt making the case of a Tigers heritage, I was responding to Bunniesmans fantasy.

You said it yourself, we havent ceased to exist, and our fans have a principled club to follow.

Back to the original point that I was expressing to Bunniesman. Please point out to me a single actual thing that Souffs did to provide their own future? They did nothing and continually failed until two fairy godfathers bailed them out.
Balmain And Wests cease to exist.

It was ridiculous trying to honour a Wests legend with a jersey he never played for.

Souths wouldn't prostitute themselves to Murdoch and his minions and there'd be no way in hell, we'd follow a Souths Sharks team.

You obviously never heard of 'Group 14' .btw.

Souths had to have $10 million guaranteed in sponsorship and cash before the judge would even hear their case. Group 14 found it.

We sure as hell didn't do stupid antics like call ourselves Sydney Rabbitohs which didn't work.

Tiger5150

Bench

It was ridiculous trying to honour a Wests legend with a jersey he never played for.

you'll get a warm fuzzy feeling at 5:30at Campbelltown then.

Souths wouldn't prostitute themselves to Murdoch and his minions .

No they were saving themselves for Holmes A'Court. Very chaste and principled. Im sure they wore white.

Souths had to have $10 million guaranteed in sponsorship and cash before the judge would even hear their case. Group 14 found it.

So their strategy was to beg? And they managed it once? Two years later they were all gone and the club was broke again and had to be bailed out.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/po...er-quitting-souths-board-20021013-gdfpwz.html

Mr Spock!

Referee
Straight from Rusty's book of foods.

The same rusty that souffs fans voted to sell out to...
Souths fans don't care if the club is financed by chook raffles from a leagues club or superstar actors.

So long as our club exists.

We can't help it that your club threw out all its heritage to appease Murdoch.

Mr Spock!

Referee
you'll get a warm fuzzy feeling at 5:30at Campbelltown then.

No they were saving themselves for Holmes A'Court. Very chaste and principled. Im sure they wore white.

So their strategy was to beg? And they managed it once? Two years later they were all gone and the club was broke again and had to be bailed out.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/po...er-quitting-souths-board-20021013-gdfpwz.html
So finding sponsorships is now begging is it?

Look you've shown that you don't have a clue as to what the hell was going on.

Just face it.

Souths live on and are successful.

Whatever club you followed doesn't.

Souths wouldn't prostitute themselves to Murdoch and his minions and there'd be no way in hell, we'd follow a Souths Sharks team.

We sure as hell didn't do stupid antics like call ourselves Sydney Rabbitohs which didn't work.

Murdoch never invited Souths to join, though. They were a financial basket case at the time and might very well have jumped ship if given the chance. Who knows? Easts however were invited and rejected the offer.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Bahahahahaha

SL hated Souths.
They didn’t hate Souths, they just thought it’d be prohibitively expensive to make them a sustainable business. Which turned out to be correct.

That’s also why they weren’t interested in Souths and why Souths couldn’t cash in on SL, which makes your whole ‘we didn’t sellout to Murdoch’ point redundant, because Souths couldn’t ‘sellout’ to Murdoch even if they wanted to.

Tiger5150

Bench
How'd it work out for Balmain and Canterbury?

Glad you asked.

I can only speak for Balmain but our average home crowds raised from 7500 when we changed to Sydney Tigers to 10335 threes years later when Super LEague hit. Turnover increased to over $10M in that same time. As a result Balmain were in a strong position to make their own decisions about their future in the aftermath of Superleague and were able to have a suitable JV with Wests rather than be swallowed by Parra or get kicked out like Souffs.

What did Souffs do and how did it work out? They did nothing, got kicked out, begged for money for a court case, LOST the court case and got let back into the comp at the mercy of Rupert Murdoch and promptly went broke anyway.

Tiger5150

Bench
So finding sponsorships is now begging is it?

Sponsorship? There was no team, there was no club, there were no players, there were no Souffs games. So yes, Souffs were begging for donations from rich mates.....for 1 year, then they all left.

Where did all those sponsors go after that? How did the club go broke with all these rich sponsors? Why did Souffs drop to their knees in front of PHaC & Rusty if they had all these sponsors? Which of these powerful sponsors were on the jerseys in 1998 & 1999? Such a powerful history of sponsors.

1998_team.jpg

1999_team.jpg

Canard

Immortal

I don't get the notion that the merger of two clubs means there history is null and void.

That seems like arbitrary internet rules.

Tiger5150

Bench
We adapted and survived. Our history is still here.

This is the thing, Souffs fans (why always Souffs fans? Its never Roosters fans, occassionally Parra fans like jilted lovers) can spout off about "you have no history/heritage" but for me genuinely it is exactly as it was sold to us, that we now have twice the heritage.

Balmain is burned into me. My dads photo is still in the foyer of Balmain PCYC (alongside Junior) and I have many years of memories ingrained in me that nothing can take away, but I also now get to acknowledge and celebrate as an interested stakeholder in Magpies heritage, such as todays celebrations at Campbelltown and I do have a genuine sense of celebration about their heritage. Not sure it would have ended up the same with Parra.