What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wests to play in christchurch

HappyTiger

Juniors
20 00 people showed up for the round 26 clash this season why would they play the game in Christchurch.Is their better financial gain in it.

LeagueNut

First Grade
That surprises me. I thought the Warriors were now one of the better teams to draw 'away' crowds, which is why Canterbury & Canberra don't want to play in Wellington any more.

Do the Tigers have some kind of link to Christchurch, like a junior recruitment program or something? This is the second home game they will have played there ... but the less said about that 1996 match the better!! :x

King Tigerman

Juniors
no no no no no no no

we shouldnt be playing OUR home games in christchurch while were at it why dont we play the cowgirls in cairns melbourne storm in geelong & the boncos at carrara

if auckland want to play sides in christchurch it should be their home game i beleive thats what eric watson said when he originally bought auckland

Gobbso

Juniors
That's f**ked, but i can understand why they have taken the game over to Christchurch. It all comes back to crowd figures. They were piss poor this season (at both Homegrounds). So the fans don't have anyone to blame but themselves. How do we stop the Joint-Venture from taking its games over the NZ and being played at Telstra Stadium? Bums on seats at BOTH Grounds. All sypporters should take a leaf out of St.George-Illawarra's book. They have no drama's about travelling to both Kogorah as well as Wollongong. Its time Wests Tigers fans did the bloody same. None of this not going to Campbelltown, because its shit, and vice versa. Time to wake up, time to grow up and support the Joint-Venture correctly!!!

King Tigerman

Juniors
stgeorge fans dont whinge bout kogarah because they left for a few years & got the joint fixed up i was there saturday & looks in far better condition than leichhardt

if thats what we have to do (leave leichhardt for 2 years & force the council to do something about the ground) than do it

also northpower is better than christchurch at least there well have some support

Gobbso

Juniors
King Tigerman said:
stgeorge fans dont whinge bout kogarah because they left for a few years & got the joint fixed up i was there saturday & looks in far better condition than leichhardt

if thats what we have to do (leave leichhardt for 2 years & force the council to do something about the ground) than do it

also northpower is better than christchurch at least there well have some support

King, i wasn't referring to the state and condition's of the ground's...i was making a valid point about St.George-Illawarra fans couldn't give a shit whether they play at, be it Wollongong or at Kogarah. As long as they get to see their team they are happy, at their crowd figures prove my point. That's what true, fair dinkum Wests Tigers fans should be like. Be it at Leichhardt or Campbelltown, they are the Home Grounds of the Joint-Venture, and true Joint-Venture fans turn up at BOTH grounds to watch their team play. Not just one or the other...that's what's killing this club and the reason why home games are being taken else where.

King Tigerman

Juniors
but did stgeorge fans care when they were at aussie stadium even though they still got healthy crowds

1 year away from leichhardt have the place fixed up then well get 15000 v the cowgirls like stgeorge did this year

Gobbso

Juniors
King Tigerman said:
but did stgeorge fans care when they were at aussie stadium even though they still got healthy crowds

1 year away from leichhardt have the place fixed up then well get 15000 v the cowgirls like stgeorge did this year

ARGHHH! its like talking to a brick walll...wait no its not, the wall doesn't respond :lol:

King your missing the point i am trying to make. Don't worry. You are a champion supporter who always get his arse to both grounds! So really, you are doing your part for the Joint-Venture buddy...

HappyTiger

Juniors
Maybe were only guarenteed one Double header next season.Playing this game in NZ will make an even Split of Campbo and Leichhardt Games.

King Tigerman

Juniors
but why cant we play the cowgirls at northpower instead & get 5-7000 more people through the gates , also weve got to consider a home game v auckland theres a chance it wont happen

yappy

Bench
What a joke. It had better be at the expense of a double header. Not that I care, but the JV is showing it's true colours. Maintaining the identity of the two clubs my arse. Showing utter contempt for the fans more like. Up until now only Super League clubs did this sort of crap, (Oh I forgot Wests Tigers is a Super League club :roll: ).

As for fans turning up Gobbs, well the Warriors were always one of the biggest draws at Campbo. There are heaps of kiwis and Islanders in the area who used to get to the game, and that was back when both teams were far from semi bound. And why would you bust your arse to support a joke of a team when they only give you five home games (could this make it four?) and do sod all promotion. Shit even in the darkest days the Magpies would work heaps harder to get a crowd. Noyce was actually part of that once - what's his problem now?

Taking the game away from the fans is short sighted and only damages the long term viability of the side. (bring it on I say!) Far better to tough it out, give the fans maximum exposure of (supposedly) 'their' team (at least it may have been before it became a franchise), and try to build for the future.

Are they trying to butter up the troops for a full time move? It reminds me of Wests in 99. Run the organisation into the ground so that you get no despute when you offer the 'saviour' package. Where to for the Tigers? Gosford, Gold Coast, or EnZed?

Bald Tiger

Juniors
If this is true it is unbeleviable. The club have lost the plot. The Warriors are one of the most entertaining sides in the competition. They are a side people want to watch. There are thousands of new zealands living in Sydney. We could promote the game to them to help draw a crowd. And further more, if we really want to compete for a position in the top 8 why would you want to play a top side like the Warriors twice in NZ?

Once Dead

Bench
Bald Tiger said:
If this is true it is unbeleviable. The club have lost the plot. The Warriors are one of the most entertaining sides in the competition. They are a side people want to watch. There are thousands of new zealands living in Sydney. We could promote the game to them to help draw a crowd. And further more, if we really want to compete for a position in the top 8 why would you want to play a top side like the Warriors twice in NZ?

I'm with Yappy.....there's gotta be something behind it........you come to expect it from the administration we have......

Gobbso

Juniors
Financial incentive. That's the only thing that's persuaded them to do so. Its not going to cost Wests Tigers a cent, and they'll reap the benefits if a decent crwod rocks up. Plenty of $$$ made through gate receipts. That's what they are looking at. They can't get it at home, so might as well try else where so to speak.

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Its for 3 seasons - 2004-06.
True Gobbso financial gain - just have to be careful that the short-term financial gain does not damage the clubs longer-term financial interests. One less home game, and an attractive one, and assuming two games at Telstra (again for financial reasons) means season ticket holders at each ground only get five games.
Maybe they think thats an incentive to take out a season ticket for both grounds but only the die-hards will do that.
Maybe they need some incentive to get people who only a season ticket for one ground to upgrade to a 10-game package at both grounds.
The point is we have to encourage fans to go to both grounds if we want to start to get our home gates up - and do specific promotions in that area for each game.

simon says

First Grade
Gobbso said:
Financial incentive. That's the only thing that's persuaded them to do so. Its not going to cost Wests Tigers a cent, and they'll reap the benefits if a decent crwod rocks up. Plenty of $$$ made through gate receipts. That's what they are looking at. They can't get it at home, so might as well try else where so to speak.

Exactly,i dnot know why everyone is doing there nut.Theyll get 25k there for sure and it wont cost us a cent to put iot on.Im sure there would be financial incentive their as well,especially as we have signed on to play there for three years.

Id say itd ber worth about 500k to play there.We played at Cambo this year,got less than 10k and made bugger all cash.This way we make a cool half mill.Sounds like smart business to me.

And we only have ourseleves to blame.If we supported our team we would have all our games at home.So if you dont like the fact that we are playing games away form home to raise money.....there is an easy solution,go to all our games,and get yer mates along as well.If not you have to cop stuff like this on the chin.

yappy

Bench
You're kidding Simon. It's not the fans responsibility to promote their stinking games - it's the clubs. Like I said sure it may have some short term benefit, but in the long term it merely helps breed resentment and disconnection at home. You don't actively work to destroy one of your major assets (your fanbase) if you're smart. WT's though ain't smart.

I hope they take all their stinking home games all over the country, but it won't do a thing to build a strong club for the future. They can start calling themselves the Wandering Tigers. They've got FOUR home grounds now, and there's no guarantee they won't take the cash from the Central Coast or Gold Coast or even Adelaide or Perth. If they still play the two games at Telstra that means either Leichhardt or Campbo gets 4. Talk about building up the loyalty to the locals. It's a dumb business decision if you are trying to strengthen your already weak position in your major markets. It only makes sense if you are trying to leave these markets completely (or you're just not very business savvy).