What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wet Weather Football

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
I really just thought i'd float an idea here. Maybe even just a quick thought that i had.

Do you think Neil Henry has spoken to the boys about wet weather football yet ? Because if i remember correctly this was adressed with me in about u12's. I think the pre match instructions were something along the lines of "boys, its wet.. its greasy... i want you to go out there employ some long passes and play like its dry", "oh and boys.... dont forget to leave some yawning gaps in the defense... we looked a bit too good last week".

This match has been absolute bush league so far... very much reminiscent of the manly match. After the game plan that Elliot applied for the last few years I thought the boys could revert back to a gameplan a little less expansive.

On individual performance, Zillman has struggled unfortunately. Howell is the worst centre i've ever seen, i'm starting to wish we still had bulgerelli.

I'm on the Gold Coast at the moment, and i am more than happy to start the "down with PJ Marsh Brisbane sector". Parrra have really had the best of the home ground advantage. The ref is bowing to there every whim.

Anyway, really a little dissapointed.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Really... i think i was being a bit rash.

We canberra fans dont have anyone to blame but ill nino.

I curse thee....

bileduct

Coach
The wet weather goes a far way to excuse the poor handling but I really cannot understand how we can give so many possessions away through forward passes.

Not just this game either.

bileduct

Coach
Anyone know what happened to Josh Miller?

He came out of a tackle in the first half clutching his ribs and was soon yanked off. Seemed to me that it could be a recurrance of last year's injury, which would be a shame.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
But i think its the wet weather where we really look horrible... ie manly.

The forward passes out of dummy half are understandable, trying to gain metres by getting the forward running on to it receiving it at the line. But the timings not been right, and maybe our hooking options just aren't up to that level.

I think Costigan's been really solid, really really impressed. Purtell is trying really hard and hasn't been our worst.

Carney hasn't kept ball in hand enough for mine, and i just think we should be alot simpler in the conditions. Seriously, i dont even think melbourne or the cowboys would get away with playing a really expansive game of football in the wet.

And the thing is, Parra have been playing in exactly the same conditions and they haven't had butter fingers to the extent we have.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Double Post- but i also thought i'd take the chance to say that i think we'll be back next week and i think the boys were out there busting there asses. All application it just wasn't happening and maybe chancing the arm too much cost em.

On Howell though- his not a centre, put him on the wing or dont play him, his a good winger.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Watching the replay of the first half again, how did hindmarsh make it the full 60 metres?

I was calming down... but that is absolute bush league.

LOL

Timbo

Staff member
We were f**king horrendus. No ifs or buts.

No disrespect to Parra-but they did NOT play well enough to win by 30. We were just falling over ourselves to give it to them.

nickraider

Juniors
That was absolutely pitiful. Sounds stupid, but I reckon Parra were worse!! We couldn't hold the ball and there tries were arsey to say the least bar a couple!!

shear_joy9

Coach
One of the worst performances I've seen a canberra team pull out.

Wet weather sure, absolutley no excuse to have more than double the handling errors the opposition makes, miss-tackles 30-10 or something. Discraceful.
Mirrors the bulldogs game last year.

I expect an apology from Neil Henry during the week.

On a side note, Weyman's run made me laugh when he charged over Burt.

nickraider

Juniors
shear_joy9 said:
One of the worst performances I've seen a canberra team pull out.

Wet weather sure, absolutley no excuse to have more than double the handling errors the opposition makes, miss-tackles 30-10 or something. Discraceful.
Mirrors the bulldogs game last year.

I expect an apology from Neil Henry during the week.

On a side note, Weyman's run made me laugh when he charged over Burt.

Yeah, at least outta my Weyman did some damage!!!

sydraider

First Grade
Its all about turning up fellas.

We didnt

When we do though, we will see the same results as the newie game.

Learning curve guys, we just had one, we will get better but there wil be heartache along the way.

I'd rather be a part of the big picture than be a team that just wins a few.

Persistance will reward us.

canberra_raiders2k2 said:
how'd TLL go? we need a good player on the field.
TLL had a great game in PL. He made some grea runs and offloaded the ball well in attack. In defence he really did put some guys on their arses, was easily the best forward out there for canberra in premier league.

legend

Coach
After the game I too came to the conclusion we try to play an expansive game in wet conditions with absolutely no adjustments to our style of play.

The last 20 we actually looked to play a structured game but by then the Eels had well and truly switched off.

Howell was horrendous and his persistance to run our of the line cost us at least three tries. Hew is by far the worst player we have in first grade.

As for the rest, they should think about donating their paycheque to a worthy cause because they didn't earn it last night.

scottyeel

Bench
nickraider said:
That was absolutely pitiful. Sounds stupid, but I reckon Parra were worse!! We couldn't hold the ball and there tries were arsey to say the least bar a couple!!
:lol: :lol: :crazy:

Leethal

Juniors
Howell is a disaster. How many penaties did he give away? Does he not understand that coming up out of the line creates gaps and overlaps? FFS, you might take an intercept 1 time in 10. The other 9 times you leave your team-mates in the sh*t. How does he get a game every week??

Costigan also needs to work on discipline, but at least he can play.

Latest posts