What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What a Game!

Iafeta

Referee
They have won a few close games this year in fairness though;

Newcastle away
Roosters away was a struggle for most of the game
Penrith at home

In honesty warrior123, without the blinkers on, where did you think this side would finish after going through the fiascos they did pre season and a change in coach, and as ozbash has pointed out, the loss of key personnel such as our greatest ever player Stacey Jones. Because I got a newsflash for you, they're going to finish I think about 9th or 10th which will be better than I realistically thought.

In the long term scheme of things, in my view, the corner has been turned.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Get a life ozbash. You have a problem with me then deal with it with me in private. Unless you can't go one on one and want back up.

ozbash

Referee
leave me alone you stalker :iwstupid:

you,ve never been the same since i rejected your drunken advances at the big top after staces last game.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
ozbash said:
leave me alone you stalker :iwstupid:

you,ve never been the same since i rejected your drunken advances at the big top after staces last game.

You've.

Don't you have a ' button on your computer or something?

ozbash

Referee
no,,, i don,t :cool:

anyway' back to the thread...

nobody has bothered to tell me why our front row was benched for a 1/3rd of the game.

crazy bussiness from a coach i've come to respect.

Skram

Juniors
Iafeta said:
In all honesty, with what happened pre-season, without the right mental approach we could well be fighting it out with Souths for the spoon right now. Instead, I honestly sense an upward turn for this club which will be beneficial in the long term. Call me optimistic, but I'm positive about whats happened the last 6 weeks - 4 terrific wins, 2 close losses to major premiership contendors in matches where quite conceivably we could have and probably should have won. That's a positive for me.

While I agree that it's a huge positive that the side was mentally able to overcome the -4, I wonder what would have happened had they realised their potential earlier.
Cleary has had an undeniably great first year as coach. His blooding of new players has been fantastic but part of me thinks he was too apprehensive earlier on to make changes I think he could blatantly see needed to be made (the halves situation, Toopi etc.).
This added with the length of time it took the players to realise the -4 situation was a hurdle that could be overcome will have cost the team the chance to make the 8 more than anything, certainly more than any close late season losses.

Skram

Juniors
ozbash said:

nobody has bothered to tell me why our front row was benched for a 1/3rd of the game.

Because Price was coming off a monster of an origin game, much like Willie Mason he was used a sparingly as possible, because Wiki isn't exactly a spring chicken and Cleary must have had a fair idea the game was going to go down to the wire and he'd need Wiki in the later stages and lastly becuase Tuimavave and Guttenbeil have been doing especially well in replacing Price and Wiki and they continued that form on Sunday.
Had Wiki and Price played during that 3rd quarter of the game we would have lost it in the last ten minutes, not golden point time.

Iafeta

Referee
Gutts and Tuimavave have been terrific off the bench. Yesterday's loss was no reflection on them.

Price was completely hammered from Origin, I think it's a little unrealistic to expect him to go the 80 again.

You could argue it'd have been better if both them were on, but after the game, Cleary was more than happy with Guttenbeil and Tuiamvave off the bench. I agree. Wiki has been mostly outplayed by them this year.

Skinner

Coach
Jaysus....Ozbash and Skinny....the human brain was never designed to
comprehend anything like that :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

AliN

Live Update Team
scary stuff I reckon :)

Unfortunately our options in extra time weren't good after a very intensive and riveting 80 minutes of footy by both sides.
The boys have to take the defeat on the chin and absolutely hammer the Eels.
If Hindmarsh does contest his charge he won't be playing which is a huge loss for the Eels along with Tahu and Smith out thru injury.

ozbash said:

wasn't their three props on the field at the end also.

Iafeta

Referee
Correct douglas. IIRC Price and Wiki were certainly on, I suspect Gutts was on too and I guess they're playing him as a rotation prop currently.

Iafeta said:
Correct douglas. IIRC Price and Wiki were certainly on, I suspect Gutts was on too and I guess they're playing him as a rotation prop currently.
i was meaning wiki, price and tuimarve. so gutts was on as well interesting

JoeD

First Grade
The one flaw I saw wasn't that Price and Wiki were off at the same time but Price, Wiki and Luck were off at the same time. Luck was damaging in the first 20 but then didn't seem to get much game after that (I could be wrong, for various reasons i didn't always have my full attention on the game)

ozbash

Referee
Luck was damaging in the first 20 but then didn't seem to get much game after that

yea, i thought the same thing joe. and cringed every time sione went to pass. i think he was in one of 'those' moods.

Latest posts