What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are your favourite fights of all time?

Dr Gonzo

Juniors
I have a collection of fights I have built up over the years... current count is around 1700 or so. I have hard drives full of them... I have every career fight of the really well known guys like Tyson etc and heaps of older stuff like Sugar Ray Robinson and Hagler etc

A few favourites you guys might wanna check out, i avoided obvious stuff like Ali etc and tried to focus on 70s onwards

1. Arturo Gatti vs Irish Mickey Ward... these guys fought a few times and each time it was legendary. Pure action, and the second fight especially is just brutal. Two great warriors, not the most skilled by a long way, but fought with so much heart. Tough as nails.

2. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Tommy Hearns... Speed vs power, two totally different styles. SRL was fast and fleeting, Hearns was a huge welterweight with scary one punch power. A true classic. I could watch it over and over.

3. Marvin Hagler vs Tommy Hearns. Fast paced, brutal power, wild aggression and almost perfectly even fighters in different ways. Not a long fight but bang for your buck its all there.

4. Diego Corrales vs Jose Luis Castillo... i remember watching this live and when it ended i just sat there with my mouth open. Non stop back and forth between hard as nails Mexican legends.

5. Lastly, Barrera vs Morales. Baby faced assassin vs El Terrible. Mexican legends leaving it all in the ring. Must watch for everyone who loves boxing

Honourable mentions....

Toney vs Jirov
Taylor vs Chavez
Foreman vs Holyfield
Holyfield vs Bowe
Mosley vs De la Hoya
Pacman vs Marquez
Arce vs Centeno

Horrie Is God

First Grade
I like wars, so the Harding/Andries battles are my favourites..

Then the Ward/Gatti stoushes..

Then Wood/Mundine I for the lol's..

El Diablo

Post Whore
some good fights on the list so far

Holmes v Noron was good and Foreman v Lyle was a fun fight

cbf compiling a big list

jack coburn

Juniors
my fav by a mile was mickey ward vs emmanuel burton. Was an absolute slug fest for 12 rds. ref only had to seperate them 3 times during the entire fight and 1 of them was after the bell. Couldnt believe there wasnt a rematch. It won fight of the yr.

Hag;er hearns was good as was hagler leonard(still think hagler was robbed)

Dr Gonzo

Juniors
I like wars, so the Harding/Andries battles are my favourites..

Then the Ward/Gatti stoushes..

Then Wood/Mundine I for the lol's..

Man the story of Harding is really sad. I saw him one night in Sydney... it was at the Friend in Hand pub in Glebe. He was drunk off his head and trying to fight people. I had a chat with him once when he was sober and he said he doesnt remember anything about the Andries fight. His mind is scrambled

my fav by a mile was mickey ward vs emmanuel burton. Was an absolute slug fest for 12 rds. ref only had to seperate them 3 times during the entire fight and 1 of them was after the bell. Couldnt believe there wasnt a rematch. It won fight of the yr.

Hag;er hearns was good as was hagler leonard(still think hagler was robbed)

Emmanuel had a very weird style and was a challenge for any fighter in his prime... kinda like Sam Soliman. He lived in Newtown about 3 years back and was a local at the Courthouse Hotel. I remember a guy I know sparred with him in Erskenville

some good fights on the list so far

Holmes v Noron was good and Foreman v Lyle was a fun fight

cbf compiling a big list

I love the footage of Holmes doing a flying kick off a car into the head of Trevor Berbick

Lots of people remember Holmes for beating an over the hill Ali and also losing badly to Tyson but in reality he was an all time top 10 heavyweight fighter... he had such an amazing jab and so light on his feet for a big guy

Plus he gets points for fighting Butterbean haha

abpanther

Staff member
I really enjoyed the Bowe v Holyfield series, man they were some brutal encounters

El Diablo

Post Whore
Man the story of Harding is really sad. I saw him one night in Sydney... it was at the Friend in Hand pub in Glebe. He was drunk off his head and trying to fight people. I had a chat with him once when he was sober and he said he doesnt remember anything about the Andries fight. His mind is scrambled

Emmanuel had a very weird style and was a challenge for any fighter in his prime... kinda like Sam Soliman. He lived in Newtown about 3 years back and was a local at the Courthouse Hotel. I remember a guy I know sparred with him in Erskenville

I love the footage of Holmes doing a flying kick off a car into the head of Trevor Berbick

Lots of people remember Holmes for beating an over the hill Ali and also losing badly to Tyson but in reality he was an all time top 10 heavyweight fighter... he had such an amazing jab and so light on his feet for a big guy

Plus he gets points for fighting Butterbean haha

Holmes could take a punch too

not many would have got up from the shots that drooped him when he fought Ronaldo Snipes and Ron Lyle

even that first right hand that Tyson dropped him with would have seen most blokes out cold

[youtube]_LijnCa33Uw[/youtube]

Last edited:

Dr Gonzo

Juniors
Holmes could take a punch too

not many would have got up from the shots that drooped him when he fought Ronaldo Snipes and Ron Lyle

even that first right hand that Tyson dropped him with would have seen most blokes out cold

[youtube]_LijnCa33Uw[/youtube]

That right hand Tyson hit Holmes with was an absolute peach... he set it up perfectly with the jab and pow... i would rate it as the second best right hand I have ever seen, the best being Tommy Hearns shot on Duran. Hearns had a right hand like a lazer.

Holmes did have a great chin... but he didnt fight Ron Lyle from memory?

ill check but im pretty sure Lyle was slightly before Holmes prime and they never fought

Latest posts