What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What bat do/did you prefer using when you play/played cricke

chileman

Coach
I always found the Slazengers the best...maybe that's because it was the most expensive one WE COULD AFFORD :lol: some say they founf the Kookaburras to light but I didn't mind them either....what's your favourite!

fish eel

Immortal
i used to love my gunn and moore maestro and then the gunn and moore diamond i had

Anonymous

Juniors
I only ever owned 2 bats after graduating from $39.95 kashmir willow status when I was 13....one was a Gray Nicholls, which gave me pretty good service, and the other (buy far the most expensive) was GM.....I really liked the bat, and played some good innings with it, but the f*ckin thing kept breaking, and eventually I spent most of my last year or so of cricket just borrowing bats...so I would have to vote for Gray Nicholls on that basis.

Kasper

Bench
I used Gray Nic all my life until two years ago when I switched to a V900 pro. Tonnes better than the Gray Nics!

S2H

Juniors
I owned a Bubble Special edition but started using a GM diamond that a mate owned. I liked the weight, feel and pickup of the GM better althought both were great bats.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Gunn and Mores or Grey Nick scoops have always been goo to me.

I just bought a new Kooka the other day. It felt great in the shop, 9 grains, and plenty of meat.

Brougth it home and realised is has a signature on it "Damien Martyn". Damn.

RICHO

Juniors
I use/used a Gunn & Moore Purist.
Great cricket bat, although rather expensive!

Red Bear

Referee
Grey Nichols and Slazenger man. Have owned 3 bats, a V100 which was great, a Grey Nichols Escalibur which was orright and my newest bat wich i got this season is a grey nichols Gladius - fricken awesome bat.

Mighty Dragon

Juniors
By the way, I'm looking for a bat which has the cross if St George on the front, and a red dragon on the back.

I have seen quite alot of people use it, and am pretty sure it is only available in England.

Does anybody know the name of the bat/ or ANY info on it???

Thanks in advance.

SirShire

First Grade
Used a G & M Maestro.

Now I use Kookaburra, which I find are the best. I've used mates pumas before too, which are a top bat.

ChatRat

Juniors
The trick with bats is not the brand but the weight and the shape of the handle. The willow will either be consistently good or consistently bad depending on where and when it was harvested. Bats also wear out and the ones we remember with nostalgia - the Super Scoops for example - had protective coatings on them to stop the wood from drying out and cracking.

Never let anyone borrow your bat. The number of people who used to lean on my bats and see how much the handle bent in the blade when pressure was applied used to set my teeth on edge. Of course the damn thing's going give eventually, don't force the issue.

If you're looking for a bat for your kids, I'd be recommending the Kookaburra. Way way too many kids kill their cricketing careers with a bat that is either too big or too heavy. Kookas are a light bat with an oval handle that encourages the batsman to hold the thing correctly - and it gives better rebounding from the shot. Other brands have copied this, but not with every bat - so that's the thing to look for.

Once you're a seasoned player, go for any weight bat you like depending on your own style of play and physical strength.

I always felt more comfortable with Gray Nics English Willow bats over the Indian Willow bats. English Willow grows slower and is therefore harder.

azza

Juniors
I loved my Kookaburra Ridgeback (still do) - has a great pick up and a superb sweet spot. Used a gray nicholls for a while (I think it was a millenium) and it had a broader blade and was pretty good but rate it below the Kooka. Have had occassional use of the slazenger V800 I think it was and that was a really nice bat as well.

azza

Juniors
ChatRat said:

I always felt more comfortable with Gray Nics English Willow bats over the Indian Willow bats. English Willow grows slower and is therefore harder.

That's actually inaccurate. I've used both Kashmir and English Willow and both are OK for club cricket, but at the higher levels players use English Willow because it is softer and therefore has a better sweet spot (but also results in chips and bruising). See for example from: http://www.owzat-cricket.co.uk/about_cricket_bats/about_cricket_bats.htm

"Most bats are made from English Willow which by nature is a soft fibrous wood, with a “honeycomb” type cell structure. It is perfect for the manufacture of cricket bats because of its natural moisture and its ability to be pressed in the manufacturing process to give great ball striking qualities. Starter and particularly smaller Junior size bats tend to utilise more lower priced Kashmir Willow... this is harder and therefore more resilient but generally gives less ball striking satisfaction."

SirShire

First Grade
I love my Kooka. It suits my batting style which is an even blend of power and technique.

If I batted like Gilly, where my batting was predominantly power-orientated, I would most definetly take the Puma. Dead set, it anyone bowls something short to you when you have one of these, I garuntee that you'll send it to the ropes. They are a huge bat, but they are meant for the big hitter.