What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What could have been for the Kiwis

lucablight

First Grade
It may be a bit early yet but it does seem pretty unlikely that NZ are going to win the tournament. Can anyone imagine how awesome they could have been if they had these players playing at the same time

Sonny bill Williams
Benji Marshall
Issac Luke
Manu Vatuvei
Roy Asotasi
Jason Cayless
Stacey Jones
Brent Webb
Krisnan Inu

I think they're all quality players and if they were in the team at the same time then New Zealand would be more than a match for Australia.

I haven't even mentioned guys like Webster, Toopi, Whatuira, Hape and Solomona because I don't know what their form is like at the moment but they have played well for New Zealand in the past.

I think one of the problems for New Zealand has been their inability to get their strongest team on the park at the same time. Alot of the replacements simply aren't up to it.

It's a shame because I think if there was a side that regularly threatened Australia then international rugby league would suddenly get alot more interesting.

Your thoughts?

Phillips

Referee
Hape is playing union.. Toopi is injured and without a club, Solomona switched to Samoa

i have no idea why Jason Cayless wasnt picked

not picking Moimoi was a massive mistake, behind Asotasi he is the kiwis best prop.

Nathan Cayless makes the side and captains it and the bloke isnt even the best prop at the Eels..

i'd have picked Taniela Tuiaki aswell..

lucablight

First Grade
If Solomona is still as good as he used to be then NZ should have done what Australia did with Tupou and picked him.

I know Fui didn't play all that great when he last played for NZ but on his day he is the most damaging prop in the world. I have a feeling he wasn't picked because there's a perception he can only play in 10-15 min bursts.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
If Solomona is still as good as he used to be then NZ should have done what Australia did with Tupou and picked him.

I know Fui didn't play all that great when he last played for NZ but on his day he is the most damaging prop in the world. I have a feeling he wasn't picked because there's a perception he can only play in 10-15 min bursts.

Most damaging prop in the world ? Mate I want 20 bucks of what your smoking.

As for the perception that he only plays in 10 to 15 min bursts, where is the evidence to the suggest otherwise ? I don't remember the eels using him for 80 minutes too often.

lucablight

First Grade
Most damaging prop in the world ? Mate I want 20 bucks of what your smoking.

As for the perception that he only plays in 10 to 15 min bursts, where is the evidence to the suggest otherwise ? I don't remember the eels using him for 80 minutes too often.

I stand by that comment. Moimoi is the most damaging prop in the world when he's at the top of his game. I don't think any other prop leaves as much carnage as he does when he runs the ball up hard. Maybe you could tell me who you consider as more damaging if you don't agree?

Phillips

Referee
Moimoi would have been a better option than some of the other nuffies NZ picked.

with Asotasi out, he should have been first prop picked. no doubt about it

lucablight

First Grade
TBH I've always thought Frank Pritchard is overrated. Good for one big run then goes missing and misses heaps of tackles.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
It may be a bit early yet but it does seem pretty unlikely that NZ are going to win the tournament. Can anyone imagine how awesome they could have been if they had these players playing at the same time

Sonny bill Williams
Benji Marshall
Issac Luke
Manu Vatuvei
Roy Asotasi
Jason Cayless
Stacey Jones
Brent Webb
Krisnan Inu

It's a shame because I think if there was a side that regularly threatened Australia then international rugby league would suddenly get alot more interesting.

Your thoughts?

Just think if Australia had a full strength team with no injuries :crazy:

NZ need to develop more "star" players like Luke and Prichard if they are ver going to become a force. Injuries are always going to happen

Spitty

Juniors

Solomona didn't decide to play for Samoa because he wasn't picked for NZ. He actually changed allegenses. Therefor he wasn't available for selection in the NZ team.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Solomona didn't decide to play for Samoa because he wasn't picked for NZ. He actually changed allegenses. Therefor he wasn't available for selection in the NZ team.

I thought he turned his back on the Kiwis because they didnt pick him for the 2007 ANZAC test??

So much for the passion of the guy after he cried because he couldnt get his passport or some crap for the 2006 ANZAC test. :sarcasm:

lucablight

First Grade
Just think if Australia had a full strength team with no injuries :crazy:

NZ need to develop more "star" players like Luke and Prichard if they are ver going to become a force. Injuries are always going to happen

I would say Australia undoubtedly has alot more depth than NZ so injuries do not affect them as much.

1.Webb
2.Inu
3.Whatuira
4.Ropati
5.Vatuvei
6.Marshall
7.Jones
8.J.Cayless
9.Luke
10.Asotasi
11.SBW
12.Pritchard
13.Mannering

14.Hohaia 15.Lima 16.Sika 17.J.Smith

That team would have been a handful.

Lets face it, the Kangaroos are awesome. They could have 12 or more players out with injuries and they would still play just as well. They just have so many class players to pick from while NZ have a relatively small number to choose from.

Also, NZ make it harder on themselves by ignoring most of the Kiwi players who move to ESL.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Lets face it, the Kangaroos are awesome. They could have 12 or more players out with injuries and they would still play just as well. They just have so many class players to pick from while NZ have a relatively small number to choose from.

Also, NZ make it harder on themselves by ignoring most of the Kiwi players who move to ESL.
most of the esl players that go to england turn to crap.

Solomona, Meli, Lautiti = all lazy and overweight.

A player they will have to look at is Rangi Chase going to Castleford to play in the halves.

Will get regular game time - so will give us another option - aswell the continued development of club-hopper Arana Taumata.

ucantseeme

Juniors
I am hoping Wayne Bennett will work some magic if NZ make the final against OZ.

Otherwise it'll be another case of "lets wait for some Benji brilliance..."

If SBW was in the team NZ would be a massive chance. Even though he is a traitor, he was massive for NZ in the Anzac test this year.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
1. Inu
2. Nightingale
3. Soliola
4. Matai
5. Vatuvei
6. Marshall
7. Jones
8. Asotasi
9. Luke
10. Rapira
11. Williams
12. Pritchard
13. Smith

14. Chase/Taumata
15. Blair
16. Manu
17. Mannering

Would of liked to mix the old with the new...

Phillips

Referee
1. Webb
2. Soliola/Tuiaki
3. Inu
4. Matai
5. Vatuvei
6. Marshall
7. Chase
8. Rapira
9. Luke
10. Asotasi (c)
11. Mannering
12. Pritchard
13. Sa

14. Hohaia
15. Matulino
16. Moimoi
17. J Cayless

hutch

First Grade
any international team with rangi chase in it has no chance, he is barely nrl standard.

Latest posts