What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do people think about Jarrod Mullen?

Yosh

Coach
As the title suggests, what do people think of Mullen? Knights fans all know how good he is, as we see him week in week out carrying the team.

I personally think Mullen is miles ahead of someone like Pearce or even Maloney. He has an amazing kicking game, his defence is outstanding, running game is great and he has a good long passing game.

Do people think he deserves another shot at origin? Maybe even game 3?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I've always been a fan of Mullen. He has a sounds skill set. But I think he might be a little burnt from his last stint in Origin.

Not this year. Maybe next. Id like to see him play in a really successful side first and play in some big games.

Fire

First Grade
He won't get a shot in game 3.

Depending on if NSW win this year and what he does between now and the next series, he might get a spot beside A. Reynolds in the halves.

But don't forget this is NSW, so next year will probably be

#6 Pearce
#7 A. Reynolds
#14 Gidley (no offence)

I really can't see him getting a shot again. Welcome that as it will allow him to play for you during the Origin period.

Mr Saab

Referee
A player introduced to origin way too early who was thrown onto the scrapheap like Campese.
He wont play origin ever again unless there are injuries to A Reynolds, Pearce during the origin period.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I rate Mullen.

He has improved every season, and has the best left to right pass in the game, kicking continues to improve as does his defence.

He would have been my NSW 6, with Carney @ 7 and defending left.

Rod

Bench
I've never been so convinced than I have this year that media hype has a say in who gets picked for Origin. Maloney and Merritt are the two picks that stand out like beacons to me that support this theory. Now don't get wrong, Maloney is a good player, he may even have a very good game 3 and go on to play Origin in 2014, but he basically got selected for NSW on about 6-8 good games for the Roosters and his supposed 'combination' with Mitchell Pearce. It certainly can't have been because of the way he played for the Warriors last year. The simple question for me is whether he is a better five-eighth than Mullen. Personally I can't see any way, whether you're basing it on this year or last, that he is.

As for Mullen, he really is the forgotten man:

- Probably now outright leading the Dally M count or perhaps 1 point in arrears.
- Exceptional kicking game.
- Exceptional defense for a half.
- Pinpoint passing game.
- Very good and still improving decision-making (when to grubber for a repeat set, when to put up the bomb etc).

Now back to my original point. Anyone who has watched him this year I don't need to tell all this to. But the crazy thing is not that Mullen got overlooked for Origin, which wasn't really surprising at all, but that whenever there are discussions about NSW halves, especially in the media, Mullen's name barely gets tossed around, if at all. Maloney, Carney, Sutton, J. Reynolds etc., these guys get mentioned every week as NSW half options. It just seems to me like they pick and choose their fancied players to talk up and don't look at anyone else.

Of all the hours of Origin discussion, deadest Sterlo must have been the only guy to talk up Mullen as a genuine possibility the whole time. As far as the various guys on these panel shows are concerned, sometimes I feel like I'm watching a different game to these guys and they're only interested in watching/commenting on the same select players every week.

I guess my point is hypothetically speaking, if all the papers and magazine TV shows that we see every week had been raving about Mullen's form all year, how many people would have been shocked to see him there for game 1 instead of Maloney? Not many I'd wager.

I think he's next to no chance of being picked for game 3, and I think it's only a slim chance he gets picked next year. There's a real chance he could retire having played 1 game for NSW because he got picked as a 20 year old and didn't play out of his skin. What a shame that would/will be.

Nightward

Juniors
Of all the hours of Origin discussion, deadest Sterlo must have been the only guy to talk up Mullen as a genuine possibility the whole time. As far as the various guys on these panel shows are concerned, sometimes I feel like I'm watching a different game to these guys and they're only interested in watching/commenting on the same select players every week.

Sterlo is the only front-line commentator on Nine with an interest in analysing and promoting the game rather than running his own agendas and self-aggrandisement.

Fittler is a space cadet, Johns is more interested in his own profile, and Fatty (whilst sometimes funny) is just hopeless.

There's a reason Sterlo only does the Sunday shows and isn't on the Footy Show any more. That they had to bring in Slater to try and restore some decorum pretty much says it all.

mongoose

Coach
He and A. Reynolds are the form halves of the comp. He shits on Maloney, PEarce and the bulldogs Reynolds.

timka4

Bench
Mullen is an underrated player for sure, still carries the media stigma for alot of people as being inconsistent (true pre-bennett) but has been consistently fantastic this season, and was consistently good last season.
Still don't think Maloney is the answer for our No. 6, hope he proves me wrong though as he was good in game 1. However, I think he'd be a better 7 however.
As long as Pearce is gone in 2014 (as I don't think changing the halves for game 3 is a good idea, especially throwing someone like A.Reynolds in).
Any of the halves combination below is 10x better than what we have now. I do think Mullen should be our 6 (or Carney again without Pearce).
I think there'll be a lot of eyes on Mullen to see how he performances in the finals this year if Knights make it, which they should.

6. Mullen
7. Maloney/A. Reynolds/ Carney

Sir Biffo

Bench
Mullen, Campese, Josh Reynolds and Carney are all better than Pearce or Maloney.

So next year it will probably be A Reynolds/Pearce.

Even Wallace is better than Pearce, and has played better in both his origins than Pearce has ever played. He played his second game where he was very quiet in a team of pure pus with a ruptured testicle. Pearce had dirt in his vagina in game 3 last year but apart from that no excuses.

I'm not ready to throw Malony off to the scrap heap just yet, bear in mind he has an incompetent half working along side him in a side that was smashed in the opening 20 mins. But back to Mullen, yes I do rate him. He's better then all the other five eights NSW has, he's not as flashy as Carney but like him he's a natural. I would give him a shot next year.

Nightward

Juniors
Even Wallace is better than Pearce, and has played better in both his origins than Pearce has ever played. He played his second game where he was very quiet in a team of pure pus with a ruptured testicle. Pearce had dirt in his vagina in game 3 last year but apart from that no excuses.

This is something I really don't get. Wallace not only suffered from having an extremely limited opportunity to prove himself (especially considering the tripe continually dished up by Pearce), he literally gave up a nut to play for his state.

If he'd done that playing for us, Queensland would still be selecting his corpse in 2413.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
A player introduced to origin way too early who was thrown onto the scrapheap like Campese.
He wont play origin ever again unless there are injuries to A Reynolds, Pearce during the origin period.

As has been said, you are aware that Mullen is a 5/8 right and not a half back? It's perplexing that you would have an opinion on him, but seemingly not know what position he plays :crazy:

Swarzey

Bench
I just love how Mullo is second along side Inglis and Sutton (lawl), one behind Cronk in the Dally M and still can't warrant any recognition. It's frustrating as a massive fan of Mullen to see him continuously left out of the discussion when it comes to "form players" this season when really he's been far more consistent than a lot of the players that are brought up.

Thing is, we'll be right here next year when he's still playing incredible football and still being acknowledged, wondering when his second chance will come when.

Mullen is the form half in the comp. I wouldn't trade him for Cronk or thurston. I'd go as far as saying that Mullen is now a better player than both Cronk and JT. Could you imagine Mullen playing with cam Smith at hooker? It would be joey like. And I have absolutely no doubt in mind that A huge reason why joey is now an immortal is because of Buderus.

Last edited:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I am no Pearce hater.

Nor Maloney.

But to me the best NSW combo is Mullen 6 on the right, Carney 7 on the left, both with licence to team up, plus run off each other, or swap when required. Share the kicking and be instructed to take the line on as well.

They went Pearce and Maloney, but to be fair, we lost that game up the middle.

Pearce thus far, has never stood out, either as MoM or worse on field.

Maloney one good, one with poor discipline.

But again, would be

6. Mullen
7. Carney

was stated before SoO 1 this year.

Latest posts