What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do we all think of Terry Campese?

twistedbydesign

Juniors
G'day guys, I would be interested in hearing a few of your opinions on Campo and his future at the Raiders.

At the start of the 2004 season he was the guy we were all talking about as 'the next big thing' - massive five eighth with a good passing and running game and an enormous right boot.

Towards the middle of 2004 our attention turned towards Todd Carney. Toddy has now had an extended run in FG, and whilst he may have been overhyped a little I think the general concensus is that he will be a quality first grader in the coming years.

Now, at the end of 2005, William Zillman and to a much lesser extent Marc Herbert have been talked up as great prospects by the club and fans alike.

So where does this leave Terry? In the last two seasons he has had injury troubles and produced just a few games in FG, which have been largely uninspiring. Is this guy still a player of the future or just an overhyped junior with a famous last name? Does he belong at lock, and if so why isn't he picked there in PL where he can learn from an international backrower like Dave Furner?

Raider_69

Post Whore
IMO it leaves Terry with the honour of taking over Toots when he retires... Campo is big, strong, got a decent step and running game, has a long kick on him, average play making... thats the ingredients of a very handy ball playing lock

6. Zilly
7. Chilli
9. Linc
13. Campo

thats our future IMO

I think Campo played a game at Lock in PL before he got inured, I'm pretty sure he was named at 5/8, but that could be more to do with the injury crisis.

Kris_man

Bench
I don't rate Campo at all based on his first grade performances. I don't think his running is near good enough for a lock, and I don't think his skills are good enough for a half.

nickraider

Juniors
I think Will Zillman will be a player of the future for us. Can play a number of positions and has more skills than Campese.

brenno

Juniors
Think he can develop into a lock. Would like to see him play some FG in the lock position though. He's got some talent yet, he made some poor decisions with the ball and his kicking game wasn't that flash. I would like to see him run the football more. If campo is a half then not sure where he fits in with zilly and herbert coming through. Those kids are guns.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Id think Lock or Herbert back to Flegg, he was playing SG ball at the start of this year so no point rushing him

thickos

First Grade
He has the size to be a lock, excellent kicking game so he'd provide a number of options from there. Passing game leaves a lot to be desired and he needs a dose of the angry pills but he's still young and I'm sure will play a major role in the future.

aussies1st

Staff member
Better at lock where he can do his huge bombs when the team feels it best to. He could also play centre as he has the size.

Stuart

Juniors
I cant see a future for him in the halve (Herbert, Carney and Zillman are ahead of him for mine), but at lock definately. I think that the club should make a real go at transforming him over the offseason as his running game needs a lot of improvment if he is going to join the forwards.

Raider_69

Post Whore
agreed, get him abit bigger and get him to focus on his running game, then have him as a ball playing lock

ed bbay

Juniors
lock or center but will never be picked there for some reason he needs to be given a spot in F/G for all of us to see we need to bite the bullet with Woolford & Croker their taking up positions that youg guys could be in we did it with our best player ever BRADLY CLYDE & stuart so why are we hanging on now ! . i belive we used to blood a up & coming 5/8 at center when he started out his name was LAURIE DALEY he turned out all right .

twistedbydesign

Juniors
I agree with the sentiments there mate to a degree, though I thought Jason Croker had an awesome second half to the year. His experience will also be a big help to any young blokes that do get a chance.

edabomb

First Grade
aussies1st said:
Better at lock where he can do his huge bombs when the team feels it best to. He could also play centre as he has the size.

Hopefully he can learn to aim his bombs >1 meter from where hes standing too. Just another example of an overhyped junior IMO.

aussies1st

Staff member
Oh they go way further than 1m. They usually go all the way into the in goal thus giving no chance for our wingers.

Stuart

Juniors
I still think he can make FG standard eventually, he has had a pretty tough couple of years with injury which have stunted his development IMO and im willing to give him more time. That said if he doesnt show some big leaps froward in 2006 he should probably be cut.

I think lock is his position from now on, im not convinced he has the skills to be a good 5/8, but if he works hard on his running game i think he will be a handy addition to our froward pack late 2006/2007.

aussies1st

Staff member
I hope Zillman is moved to 5/8 instead of playing fullback unless we desperatly need him there. Then Campease can move to lock to begin his new career as a lock.

Latest posts