What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you Aussies think?

Humphrey

Juniors
Over hear in New Zealand its always on the New Zealand Rugby League and District Leagues lips (not to mention the media) that you guys have too many young Kiwi boys (and Im talking 15-18's) on your NRL Club books, tucked up in your feeder Clubs or Rugby League Schools

In fact theres a movment by some here to get a ruling from the NZRL to prevent any players under 18 taking up any options in Australia

What do you Aussies think?

Big Mick

Referee
well they get a better chance to develop their game over here. And if NZRL really wanted to keep these juniors, they would wouldn't they.

They have programs in place to develop the juniors they want, but when an Aussie team develops them from say 15 years of age, makes them a superstar, then Kiwi's have a whinge about how he was ours, etc.

m0j0

Bench
Big Mick said:
but when an Aussie team develops them from say 15 years of age, makes them a superstar, then Kiwi's have a whinge about how he was ours, etc.
Unless the Roosters do it, and then everyone complains about how he was a Kiwi. :lol:

legend

Coach
I think they should make an allegiance to the Kiwi's before they come over.

I'd love to see the Kiwi's with a side that includes S B Williams, Benji Marshall, Karmichael Hunt etc.

I think they would be a big chance of knocking off Australia within a few years.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I think players should be allowed to develop where they see best. If kiwi kids think australia's where their gonna develop better, then the NZRL should be looking at ways to improve their system so that kids stay there.

It's like with aussies and english soccer. young kids go o/s cos there's more opportunity there and the systems are better to develop them

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It's a tough question because the NZRL sdimply doesn't have the money to keep them in NZ and even if they did they wouldn't have the opportunities to play at the level they get here. Maybe there should be some way that they can be contracted to the NZRL but still go and play for clubs over here, so that NZ still has acess to them for international competition.

legend said:

I'd love to see the Kiwi's with a side that includes S B Williams, Benji Marshall, Karmichael Hunt etc.

I think they would be a big chance of knocking off Australia within a few years.

That is a perfect solution.

ouwet

Bench
Southern Rooster said:
legend said:

That is a perfect solution.

Yeah it is! Good to see Sonny-Bill Williams committing to the Kiwis

Foz

Bench
I'd prefer the kids to stay in NZ. The problem is though its either Australia or Rugby Union for a lot of them.
I look at it more as a League V Union thing than a NZ V Australia deal.
Do whatever it takes to keep them in League.

We need another NRL team in New Zealand. It will allow these kids to develope and in 10 years time you'd have two very strong NZ clubs.

Red Bear

Referee
Got no probs with the Kiwi's playing in oz but i think they should play for NZ(eg marshall and Hunt should be Kiwi's not ozzies). Good to see Sonny Bill playing for the kiwi's.

You know...the IRLF....if we ha d a REAL one....they would put in place rules that would stop these Kiwi's coming over here for a few years and they being dragtging into Australian rep sides.

I think its a disgrace that Hunt will play for Queensland and probably Australia.

I think I heard that Hunt came to Australia when he was 12. Now he is 17 and he is an Aussie?

Adrian Morley has almost been here for longer then Hunt!

Booyah

Bench
nospam49 said:
You know...the IRLF....if we ha d a REAL one....they would put in place rules that would stop these Kiwi's coming over here for a few years and they being dragtging into Australian rep sides.

I think its a disgrace that Hunt will play for Queensland and probably Australia.

I think I heard that Hunt came to Australia when he was 12. Now he is 17 and he is an Aussie?

Adrian Morley has almost been here for longer then Hunt!

I read something about the whole Karmichael thing a few months back when all the uproar about him shafting NZ selection was still around.

I won't go into specific details but basically, he feels he owes something to the state of Queensland for their loyalty to him. They gave him a start at the big time and he wants to repay that. It is also the place he now calls home. He lives in Australia now.

I have also never seen in print him stating "I want to play for Australia".

It's his choice anyway.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Murphdogg1 said:
If Hunt (or more accurately when) plays for QLD can he still play for NZ later??
Yes but if he plays for NZ Queensland won't select him, it happenned to Craig Smith and Tonie Carroll. Carroll had to publicly renounce playing for the Kiwis to be elegible for Queensland. If the Qld selectors dropped that attitude it would solve a few problems, it was funny how they were happy to keep selecting Adrian Lam while he played for PNG.