What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you Aussies think?

Roosterphin

Juniors
I think if RL can put international footy ahead of SOO where it should be then no kiwi kids will have no probs playing for NZ. But when SOO is considered the pinnacle you cant blame them for wanting to play it

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Roosterphin said:
I think if RL can put international footy ahead of SOO where it should be then no kiwi kids will have no probs playing for NZ. But when SOO is considered the pinnacle you cant blame them for wanting to play it
They should be allowed to do both anyway. SOO elegibility isn't determined by where you were born, it's determined by where you first played grade football.

ibeme

First Grade
In the case of Hunt, he came over when he was twelve. It's not as if he was poached. His formative years were here, and the mates he grew up with through high school. If he calls himself Australian, than he's Australian. It's not as if he was recruited from NZ. His parents chose to move here when he was a kid. If it's a good enough place to live, it's good enough to call home.

For those who are recruited from NZ, then they only came over for football. They're Kiwi's.

blackfriday

Juniors
i say because australia invested the money and time in someone, they have a right to keep them playing for them because they were the ones who put in the risk. if the kiwis wanted all these blokes they should gather up a few coaches and start investing to keep their youth over there.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
blackfriday said:
i say because australia invested the money and time in someone, they have a right to keep them playing for them because they were the ones who put in the risk. if the kiwis wanted all these blokes they should gather up a few coaches and start investing to keep their youth over there.
There simply isn't the money to do that. League is a minority sport in a country of 4 million. There will always be more money in the Australian game. The best hope for NZZ League is essentially to be part of the Australian system. Players should be encouraged to play over here, but not to relinquish their international elegibility.
On K. Hunt, I hav no problem with him deciding he wants top represent Australia if he so wishes, however I do have a problem if he is forced to relinquish the right to play for NZ to be elegible for Origin. The two should be unrelated.

Murphdogg1

Juniors
Ibeme u make a good point but Karmichael Hunt has stated that he is a kiwi but he wants to play for QLD

My thinking is he wants to play for Qld because SOO is a superior level of footy than international, not that he is doing it cos he is Aussie

blackfriday

Juniors
There simply isn't the money to do that. League is a minority sport in a country of 4 million. There will always be more money in the Australian game. The best hope for NZZ League is essentially to be part of the Australian system. Players should be encouraged to play over here, but not to relinquish their international elegibility.

you're very right there. league isnt that popular and im betting that the kiwi leaguies all tried their hand at union and found it too slow/boring.

Murphdogg1

Juniors
ur an idiot, how is Union slow and boring in NZ

its slow and boring in Australia, not in NZ which is why almost everyone plays it in NZ

Humphrey

Juniors
ibeme said:
In the case of Hunt, he came over when he was twelve. It's not as if he was poached. His formative years were here, and the mates he grew up with through high school. If he calls himself Australian, than he's Australian. It's not as if he was recruited from NZ. His parents chose to move here when he was a kid. If it's a good enough place to live, it's good enough to call home.

For those who are recruited from NZ, then they only came over for football. They're Kiwi's.

Good Call "íbeme' ! I appreciate the difference more now with the came as a kid v recruitment scenarios :clap:

All in all from the comments Ive read on this thread already you guys dont have a problem with any Kiwis displacing Aussies in NRL teams - the right player is the best player theory is a good one

Iafeta

Referee
I like how Cullen Sports/Warriors have worked very hard with NZRL to better develop "the farm". Hopefully that will stop it from happening, you'll always end up with one or two I guess, but hopefully the best ones choose their country.

I agree with Space; once you play for Queensland you should still then be able to play for New Zealand. Its a State of Origin in terms of where you played grade footy after the age of 16? It shouldn't preceed you from playing internationals elsewhere in your country of birth. That sort of illogical thinking has stopped New Zealanders from choosing the country they wish to in too many situations (IE more than 1 - 1 is enough).

In all seriousness, I'd rather have my old fellow chopped off than give up the right to represent New Zealand. There'd be nothing better to represent paradise itself.

hop

Juniors
There'd be nothing better to represent paradise itself

sydney was voted world's best city.. so u might understand why someone would want to than represent australia... but i understand where ya comin from

Dont you guys think it would be a far greater challenge as a player...to play for NZ and try and beat Aussie in a test series!!!? That would be the highlight of any non-aussie player's career...that feeling could even outweight winning the premiership.

Iafeta

Referee
Dirk DIGgler said:
Dont you guys think it would be a far greater challenge as a player...to play for NZ and try and beat Aussie in a test series!!!? That would be the highlight of any non-aussie player's career...that feeling could even outweight winning the premiership.

Absolutely! The pride and the passion - I remember the story of how the Muss told of Vinnie Anderson crying for his country and how it spurred them on.

Watching Sione Faumuina and Nathan Cayless openly cry during the National Anthem this year showed how proud they were. Proud to get out there, defy the odds, play with mana and for each other.

FLO

Juniors
What do you Aussies think?

kiwi players should only be allowed to play in club competitions, SoO is simply none of thier business. They should play for thier country or not at all but why anyone would want to represent or support a country that they flat-out refuse to live in is something only the perpetrator of such a vile crime can understand.

bayrep

Juniors
Here's the funny thing about SOO its mate against mate and state against state rah rah we get the point... But its never the best players playing in the comp. It may be the best Aus players but its not selecting from the best NRL players. Which is what the SOO relies on. Now if SOO is considered the pinnacle for a player what does it matter what country he represents ? as it has already been mentioned early and everyone knows the players are selected on where they first played.

Why am I waffling on...... Because half the young kiwi players that go over to Aus and develop their league skills are living and breathing the Aus culture on what it means to play in the SOO, so of course they are influenced in wanting to play for the SOO at a young age.

So open the SOO up to all players that play in the NRL you still get the mate and state thing but you are opening it up to the best players in the comp and the kiwi's still go onto represent NZ.

Or change the order of what is more important the SOO or International league. That way you will get the young kiwis wanting to knock Aus of their pinnacle.

Stop being so bloody stupid! :roll:

State Of Origin is about the best of NSW taking on the best of QLD.

Its a game where you repre4sent your state....its not a fricken allstar game or some BS made up exhibition series.

If the bloody Kiwi's want to play Origin....to bad! :x

drake

First Grade
Craig Smith, ex-Dragon played for both QLD and NZ.
Thets choice ay bro!
You can qualify to play for a country if you
a: were born there
b: live there.

Origin is solely on where you made your grade debut in RL.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Iafeta said:
Watching Sione Faumuina and Nathan Cayless openly cry during the National Anthem this year showed how proud they were. Proud to get out there, defy the odds, play with mana and for each other.

They were crying cause they were thinking about the pain the Aussies were about to inflict on them, it had nothing to do with national pride.