What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you reckon to introducing contested scums & line-outs to League?

Tommy Smith

Referee
Im not a big Union fan but i do believe that Rugby League would be a far greater spectacle with contested scrums (not the current farcical scrum situation we have) as well as line-outs (maybe with a stipulation of the team who kicks it out only gets one if they kick a 40/30 or 30/40).

Why? Because there would be alot more contested posession which mixed with League's fast pace and limited tackles would make the game much more interesting to watch.

Now i know most people will quickly dismiss it but think about it; i reckon about 4 out of 5 attacking opportunities in the opposition 20 come from either a knock-on or a penalty. But with more contested possession and opportunities for the attacking team to obtain the ball in the opposition half i believe alot of intrigue would be added to the game.

If you dont agree then can you think of any inventive ideas that woud allow the attacking team to retrieve the ball in the opposition half, i.e. the 40/20 rule which is the best thing to happen to league as far as rule changes is concerned in a long time.

Raider_69

Post Whore
the line outs thing is one of the worst ideas ive herd in some time, the line outs in union are a farce as it is. Boring as bat sh*t too

contested scrums, be nice to see a scrum become useful again, but again the scrum is a bit of a mess in union, so im not sure

ledzep

Bench
Contested scrums are an absolute waste of time
Guess how many scrums were won against the feed at the 03 union world cup... less than 1%

Ridders

Coach
the whole idea is a waste of time....contested scrums would just slow the game down and lineouts would be a shamble in league

Tommy Smith

Referee
Ok well what about Dennis Fitzgeralds idea (think it was him) of allowing one-NFL type pass per game lol Or his idea of getting rid of conversions!

Actually i think Dennis would like my idea seeing as he wants to merge the two codes.

Charlie124

First Grade
A contested scrum might sound like a nice idea in theory but the endless re-setting of them would slow the game far too much. As for line-outs, why dont you just watch union? im all for small changes to the game to make it better/free flowing but suggestions like that are a bit over the top.

One rule i think should and probably will be changed is the "benifit of the doubt" rule, but i imagine all of us agree there.

PARANoIR

Bench
LINE OUTS IN LEAGUE?! No f**king way. Stupid idea.

Contested scrums however, I could most definitely handle.

strewth_mate

Bench
Looking at the alternative which we have though, a scrum that isn't contested is sometimes frankly embarrassing. I wouldn't necessarily mind either way, but no lineouts.

Azkatro

First Grade
You're mad. They would all bog the game back down which is turning around and going backwards.

I think it was Bill Harrigan who suggested one forward pass per half/game a few years back in an article somewhere (Big League?)

Kurt Angle

First Grade
To put forward these rules means you have no understanding of the mechanics of Rugby League.

Scrums are a sham, it is a stupid activity that no one cares about, it's current incarnation is something that is nothing more than fecal residue from the archaic game we spawned from.

Lineouts were removed in 1897, though they would of been a vastly different incarnation back then. I don't mind lineouts, but would require 2 bean poles, and basically take away from the athleticism from our game.

The forward pass if the most stupid rule... the main premise of games than allow forward passes is the action takes place off the ball... runners do their thing away from the ball, and various guys scatter in all directions.. once they make a lead, then the ball gets to them.

Without a forward pass, guys have to get the ball, then do something special with it.

Knightmare

Coach
I'm all for bringing the contest back into scrums. Otherwise we might as well not have them at all, it's a waste of game time and a waste of the forwards' time.

t-ba

Post Whore
I always felt that RL is missing fat props lying about for 3 minutes before a scrum.

t-ba

Post Whore
Tommy Smith said:
Thats why we have George Rose.

Georgy has nothing on the likes of the Ox or Rodzilla...

...With the way flopzgibbon drops onto every completed tackle though, he wouldn't be out of place in Union.:p

Tommy Smith

Referee
t-ba said:
Georgy has nothing on the likes of the Ox or Rodzilla...

...With the way flopzgibbon drops onto every completed tackle though, he wouldn't be out of place in Union.:p
\
Too true. Shayne Dunley wouldn't look out of place either. In the middle of those ruck & mauls he'd be able to gauge, hair-pull and exercise his reflux condition to his hearts content.;-)

t-ba

Post Whore
Tommy Smith said:
\
Too true. Shayne Dunley wouldn't look out of place either. In the middle of those ruck & mauls he'd be able to gauge, hair-pull and exercise his reflux condition to his hearts content.;-)

He has the blessing of every single Manly supporter (Except for Dessie) in any future RU endevours that may cut his career at Manly short. preferably if that involves him leaving before friday's match.