What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does Briers have to do?

He was still pretty good in a losing side v Bradford. The thing I've always liked about him is that he often stands tall in a very ordinary Wire team. They might have bought some bigger name players of late like Swann, Gleeson, Faafili, Reardon etc but the Wire team is still ordinary and has been for the entire SL era. Briers has been a standout at that club for years while Long, Deacon, Harris etc have been part of some brilliant sides, full of internationals. What's more Briers probably gave Australia more trouble in one game in 2000 than any other British half has done since. Only Sculthorpe has perfomed better against Australia in a single game. Briers may not always produce huge performances but I can't believe he hasn't been given one chance, just one, to play for GB against Australia, especially when the likes of Sheridan, Sinfield, Orr, Harris (post union), Deacon and Horne have all been given a shot. I don't mind him playing for Wales instead, that's good for Wales, but if GB continue to ignore him and continue to lose because of a poor kicking game and a lack of creativity in the halves I think they've only got themselves to blame. If given a chance he might not produce but how will they ever know unless they give him a try?

bartman

Immortal
In theory Noble told him what he had to do, just we can't see exactly what that is...? Doesn't play his club game the way Noble wants his halves playing it I guess - doesn't mean he'd be no good though.

You're right, enough people have been given a go in the role, can't see why he wasn't one of them. This is the last series GB play for a few years isn't it? So I guess Wales it is for Briers.

terracesider

Juniors
Sam_the_man said:
He needs to start taking the ball to the line and running it.

Why? Educate me in the modern game. :lol:

Plenty others to do the running. As ECT said, we need desperately somebody at half back with a good kicking game.

pmarrow

Juniors
For the first time ever I agree with a Briers to Britain rant. Kicking has been our weak point in tests for the last ten years and I think Lee Briers could solve that the way his kicking has been pin point this season.

The only problem is Long and Briers won't work together IMO.

PARANoIR

Bench
Couldn't agree more. It's a joke to see people like Rob Burrow wearing the lions jersey, but Briers doesn't get a look in.

And what about Cooke? Surely his court case was the only reason he missed out because on form he would be one of the first picked. There is no obvious choice for loose forward unless Noble uses Ellis there. Cooke and Horne orchestrated Hull's win this morning and GB needs someone to do the same for them. I find it hard to find a place for Horne due to his jack of all trades nature but Cooke is the obvious choice for loose forward, especially with a player like McGuire at standoff. GB need another playmaker with a kicking game if McGuire is going to play at 6. Briers would solve that issue if he was at 6 but without him Cooke needs to be at 13 at least.

I would love to see an NRL club in the future pick Paul Cooke up. A ball playing lock forward.He would certainly make it out here.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Paul Cooke's kicking game in the match today was nearly the difference. It's a crime that he isn't in the GB squad. He should be in the team. Sean Long may aswell not have feet and he is again going to be the sole kicking option for GB. Sad and stupid decision. Add Briers and GB would have WC kickers either side of the ruck.

S.S.T.I.D said:
Paul Cooke's kicking game in the match today was nearly the difference. It's a crime that he isn't in the GB squad. He should be in the team. Sean Long may aswell not have feet and he is again going to be the sole kicking option for GB. Sad and stupid decision. Add Briers and GB would have WC kickers either side of the ruck.

S.S.T.I.D,you have to admit Sean Long's kicking game is better than what we have at Souths.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Newcastlerabbit said:
S.S.T.I.D,you have to admit Sean Long's kicking game is better than what we have at Souths.

Haha. I have a better kicking game than anyone at Souths.:D

The Wood

Juniors
Newcastlerabbit said:
I would love to see Briers test himself in the NRL.I have no doubt he would make it out here.

You think..? Against the likes of Lockyer, Orford etc...? Flattering but I'm not too sure if I agree.

As for what he has to do to get into the GB squad, I think he will have to be the most consistant half back during the season and play in a team that has made the top four either before or after the play offs.

Hang on a minute...?

Rich

Juniors
If we were playing another series at home then I would pick both him and Paul Cooke. Their organisational and kicking skills are exactly what we've been lacking for too long now. Far too many half backs in England are labelled great based only on their support play and impressive try tallies.

However, in a boiling hot and humid Australia I fear that Briers' lack of speed and average defence would be a problem. We need, more than ever, a youthful, mobile and athletic squad.

Latest posts