What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Does Campbell Have To Do?

You know, if Preston Campbell played any other sport he would be the first player picked for Australia. But it seems Campbell isnt doing something right.

Sure he has a Dally M medal, a Premiership ring and is the form 5/8th in the competition by a long, long way. But what else does he need to do before selectors will give him the rep jersey he deserves.

If Campbell isnt in the top 25 Australian players then the Bulldogs are the Popes favorite club!

You only had to see how the New Zealand Warriors were torn apart by Campbell to see he had to be the Australian 5/8th.

So Im at the point where Im wondering what it takes to be selected for a rep team. In the past these players have been flat out robbed by selectors:

Anthony Mundine - 1999
Nathan Blacklock - 2001
Rhys Wesser - 2003
Preston Campbell - 2001, 2003

Ask the New Zealand players if they would like to take on Campbell again in a few weeks time.

As a youngster growing up I loved seeing the form players play for Australia. These days, it just doesnt happen.

Lead the league in try scoring for three years straight....you wont get a look in at Origin time.

Win a Dally M Medal, lead one team within one game of a Grand Final, lead another to a Grand Final win, be in the best form of any "half" in the League....but dont expect to be considered by selectors.

The kangaroo's use to be the best 17 football players on Earth.

Now they are just the 17 prototype players that fit the mould the selectors want. They look for athletes, they look for the safe option....and they leave the football players at home because the selectors and coaches dont have any guts!

nospam49

Tommy Smith

Referee
I agree with you, even if i dont like you :D . As hard as it is to believe, Trent Barrett seems to be a shoe-in for all rep teams as 5/8 when fit. He has done F*@# All since the 2002 Origin series yet i read somewhere that Lockyer will be picked at FB to accommodate Barrett at 5/8! Why? I have NFI. It's just that some players are darlings of the selectors.

Aries

Bench
It's got me beat also...

He is without doubt the form 5/8, has been for a while.

I thought once Anderson was relieved of the coaching job, he would get a fair go, but it seems he is paying for the fact he actually has a go at tackles that others just stand there and look at, or POINT TO.

You have to actually have a go at a tackle for it to be a "missed tackle"...

Maybe Preston should just stand there and point at them in the future :roll: :roll:

I can see NO OTHER reason why he would be left out of the squad!!

He can also cover Fullback, half, wing and hooker and if he doesn't make it, then the selectors should be sacked...

OVP

Coach
1. He needs to grow

2. He needs to prove he can lead a team around the field. 5/8 is a leaders spot.

3. He needs to have some tiny bit of defensive capabilites.

He has neither of the above.

Tommy Smith

Referee
OVP said:
1. He needs to grow

2. He needs to prove he can lead a team around the field. 5/8 is a leaders spot.

Alan Langer was no giant.

The last two Aus 5/8's have been Timmins and Crocker.

Agree about the last part.

Le Rouge

Juniors
Campbell has been overlooked for a while now. He is and has been deserving of a rep jersey for a while. He probably should of been on the last kangaroo tour aswell

Ever since his time at the Sharks when Ando stepped in.....notice the sharks form since he stopped playing there. :p

A few people are pushing for Campbell to be selected to play in the ANZAC test match coming up.

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1264&storyid=1130390

I'm hoping he gets picked ..he won't disappoint. I reckon if there's concerns over his size and defence just pick big guys to make up for it ....It works for the Panthers.

Tommy Smith

Referee
tiger pride said:
He is far better than Barret, and if he is not in the 25, then this is a joke!
To be honest with you, i think Barrett is the superior player. BUT, rep. teams or atleast the preliminary squad should be picked on form (no doubt past performances for Aus should be considered too) and Campbell has been the best available 5/8 so far whereas Barrett's claim to fame this year is dropping the ball over the line. That should atleast warrant a spot in the 25.

Having said that, Campbell is one of many players that could say they were hard one by so theres no point whinging. You dont know the true meaning of snubbed unless your name is Kevin Hastings.

OVP

Coach
Tommy Smith said:
OVP said:
1. He needs to grow

Alan Langer was no giant.

The last two Aus 5/8's have been Timmins and Crocker.

Agree about the last part.

Tommy, the only reason why those 2 were selected were because of injury. For a longterm spot, neither would ever be contemplated. A long term spot needs someone who can do point 2 (lead a team around the field) ... noone else. Im sorry, but Barrett or Gower are the ONLY choices, unless Freddy comes out of retirement.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Tommy: well I must admit, I haven't seen anythig special from Barret in years. He was rep-material in the past, but I do not believe he is now.... But hey, he was picked over Campbell according to the other thread, so hey!! Bad luck Preston! And a bit of bullsh!t too IMO!

knights04

Bench
No offense to anyone, but the selectors are racist full stop. Nathan Blacklock should have played for Aus and NSW since 1999. Rhys Wesser undoubtedly the best fullback of 2003 was left out of state of origin and a Kangaroo tour. Preston Campbell has been a star since 2000 and will probably never play rep football as well unfortunately. I would put all three players in the side pending they weren't injured or suspended. :doubt:

Aries

Bench
OVP said:
1. He needs to grow

Gee, what possie did he play in the GF last year?

Who won?

He was good enough to play 5/8 against the chooks last year....

Here chook chook chook!!

Maybe you will be back on Friday night, looking for another feed of HUMBLE PIE, or maybe you will sing his praises. or maybe you will hide :lol:

knights04 said:
No offense to anyone, but the selectors are racist full stop. Nathan Blacklock should have played for Aus and NSW since 1999. Rhys Wesser undoubtedly the best fullback of 2003 was left out of state of origin and a Kangaroo tour. Preston Campbell has been a star since 2000 and will probably never play rep football as well unfortunately. I would put all three players in the side pending they weren't injured or suspended. :doubt:

A few years ago I would have gone off big time at anyone making that statement.

Anthony Mundine was brilliant at the end of 1999. He was actually outplaying his opposing 5/8ths....and he didnt get a look in.

Nathan Blacklock was breaking short term, mid term and long term try scoring records and was over looked for years. There was one year there when he was a lock for NSW....he demolished the Tigers the day before and the NSW selectors snubbed him.

Preston Campbell, Dally M Winner, Premiership winner....a proven performer under pressure and a leader.

I would have argued with you a few years ago. But look at that list....

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Tommy Smith said:
I agree with you, even if i dont like you :D . As hard as it is to believe, Trent Barrett seems to be a shoe-in for all rep teams as 5/8 when fit. He has done F*@# All since the 2002 Origin series yet i read somewhere that Lockyer will be picked at FB to accommodate Barrett at 5/8! Why? I have NFI. It's just that some players are darlings of the selectors.

Whilst I dislike you and your antics i agree with u here, although you forgot to add, that even though Barrett has done nothing in terms of Saints for a few years, at rep level, he has been Awesome.

Pigskin

Juniors
Gower will take Wing's bench spot as a back up hooker/half

Kimmorley will get the halfback leaving Hill and Barrett to fight out 5/8 and right now Hill would be a hot favourite as a combo with Kimmorley

Campbell needs to put on about 10kgs and miss 10 less tackles per game ..... he's a game breaker .... but I'll be very surprised if he ever wears green and gold .... and nor should he

whoever above that mentioned Allan Langer .... when he first played Origin sure he was small .... but in his best years to today he is/was a big ball of muscle .... just short ..... and he was a good defender .... like comparing apples and oranges comparing Langer to Campbell

Oink !

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Pigskin said:
Gower will take Wing's bench spot as a back up hooker/half

Kimmorley will get the halfback leaving Hill and Barrett to fight out 5/8 and right now Hill would be a hot favourite as a combo with Kimmorley

Campbell needs to put on about 10kgs and miss 10 less tackles per game ..... he's a game breaker .... but I'll be very surprised if he ever wears green and gold .... and nor should he

whoever above that mentioned Allan Langer .... when he first played Origin sure he was small .... but in his best years to today he is/was a big ball of muscle .... just short ..... and he was a good defender .... like comparing apples and oranges comparing Langer to Campbell

Oink !

I think Sherwin should be the Halfback.
I think Barrett Should be the 5/8
Scott hill should be the Lock.
Centres is a Cross between Hodges Cooper/Gasnier IMHO.

Kimmorley, should come nowhere near the Test team. He misses more tackles than Presto. Fact.

drake

First Grade
Even though I'm a die hard Dragons supporter, I think selection should be a reflection of on field performance, not potential. Baz, who I like immensely as a person, has not earned his green and gold jersey. I know he has been plagued by injuries, and he is one of the few players of the classic 5/8th style, but he has done nothing in the last few years at the Dragons to deserve a walk in to a 'Roos jumper.
Maybe I just want him to concentrate on playing well on club level, I'll spew if he plays a blinder for Aus, then comes back to the Dragons and does F all.

Selection for Rep teams, especially NSW and Australia seems to be based on hype over form. And there does seem to be a racial bias against Koori players, especially NSW. QLD don't seem to give a rat's what colour a bloke is, as long as he can do the job.
Campbell is an extremely unorthodox pivot, but he gets the job done. Also he can play many positions, Anderson had him play hooker! :shock:
I think the little feller should be in the 25. Lad's got plenty of ticker.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
the prob is that selectors get their "favourites" and barret is one of those. Just like Jason stevens has been in the past.

I am aware of the race factor but I dont necessarily think thats the case. Tuqiri and Sailor were winegrs for a long period of time, tallis always got chosen.....

Dykes was the dally M 5/8 a few years ago and he never has had a shot. All you talking about wesser, what about schif? I'm sure parsons got a dally m props award and he's never had a go. these guys arent aboriginal but they've never had a go despite their ability. How long did it take blokes like ricketson and campion to be awarded rep selection?

selectors tend to stick a lot of the time with people who have "proven themselves". I think barret is pretty ordinary but due to his record at rep selection he gets picked despite playing like a 3rd grader....