What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does everyone think about this rule change proposal?

LESStar58

Referee
Can't say I think too much of this proposed rule change? Why stifle the peed of the game when the markers are allowed to stand NEXT to each other...

source: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20726112-2722,00.html

Proposal to make game more open

Brent Read
November 09, 2006

SOME of the game's greatest minds will today discuss a revolutionary rule change that could put the NRL's most potent dummy-half runners on the endangered species list.

The NRL will host a think tank in Sydney where it will discuss a number of rugby league's contentious rules, including the powers of the video referee, the knock-on, stripping and obstruction. One of the most radical changes could result in markers being given more freedom, a suggestion put forward with a view to reducing the amount of dummy-half running in the game.
Under the present rule, markers must stand directly in front of the tackled player at the play-the-ball. The rule change would result in markers being given freedom to move within a defined area, meaning they could stand beside each other.
"It's been recognised by a lot of people in the game that dummy-half running is increasing dramatically," said referees coach Robert Finch, who will be joined by luminaries including former premiership coach Warren Ryan and Test halfback Greg Alexander.
"People within the game believe we need to look at ways to minimise it."
Finch said the change would still cater for play out of dummy-half, where the likes of Newcastle's Danny Buderus, Wests Tigers' Robbie Farah and Melbourne's Cameron Smith orchestrate much of their side's attack.
However, the idea is to promote a more expansive game rather than one based predominantly on running out of dummy-half.
While a change at marker is unlikely to win widespread support, several others are expected to receive positive airing.
The stripping rule could be altered to allow stealing in tackles where two defenders are involved, or where one defender drops off.
The rule could also be adjusted so only differential penalties are awarded, meaning a team cannot take a shot at goal from the infringement.
That would stop games being decided on controversial stripping penalties.
In July, Wests Tigers forward John Skandalis was ruled to have stripped the ball illegally from a Canberra player in golden point extra time, allowing then-Raiders captain Clinton Schifcofske to kick a goal which won his side the game.
NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley stressed today's think tank was primarily to discuss the possible changes before they were considered by the coaches and players next week.
"Neither of those meetings can change the rules but in relation to the referees' interpretations it's important to get the feedback of the people who participate in the game," Annesley said.

Thoughts?

aids

Bench
horsesh*t rule
square markers, simple, easy to police, no grey areas.

floating markers, no dice

edit: and the striping rule is a bit of a dogs breakfast adding an extra defender to the mix wouldn't add to anything.
also it was payten not skando, the golden greek has never had a penalty against him since the under 8's

Jono078

Referee
Id rather they left the markers as they are I think..

Also I hope they bring up the double movement rule, ridiculous rule that is.

innsaneink

Referee
*Paul* said:
Simpler to have dummy half caught = turnover.

Why though, what is wrong with dummy half running?

Its not like its ao epidemic thru the game....despite what the so called experts say

Its a skill, not every player can exploit it, yet they wanna consign it to the history books for some obscure reason.

Inferno

Coach
Im happy with it they way it is.

Only suggestion for Golden Point is to score minimum 2 points. So you can with either a penalty, 2 field goals or a try.

Also a fan of the dummy half scoot.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I like the dummy half runs, they open the game up

the ball stripping rule needs work

the biggest problem I have, is the BOD rule should be scrapped for the attacking team grounding the ball

the BOD should should favour the defending team as their really has been no consistency from the video umpires with that rule

unless the ball is visibly grounded, it should be no try, imo

greeneyed

First Grade
No reason to change anything. I'm sick of these annual conflabs where the coaches just get together to try to shift the rules this or that way to suit their own team. Just leave the rules the same for, say, three years. Then consider variations.

lockyno1

Post Whore
The one that I want change is golden point> golden try. But a field goal can be kicked, however it is not the end of the game if you kick a field goal.

mepelthwack

Juniors
Inferno said:
Im happy with it they way it is.

Only suggestion for Golden Point is to score minimum 2 points. So you can with either a penalty, 2 field goals or a try.

Also a fan of the dummy half scoot.

So Steve Clark would be even less likley to ping the blatantly offside Raiders?

Scrap GP altogether.

supersoniceagle

Juniors
The problem is that players get tackled, get up and walk forward making it impossible for markers to get in position, therefore dummy halfs are constantly running from there

*Paul*

Juniors
innsaneink said:
Its a skill, not every player can exploit it
Maybe in the old 5m days, most of them now are purely touch football style scoots to gain cheap territory.

If they ran the risk of losing possession then it really would become a skill to pick and chose your moment.

Nuke

Staff member
Personally, as a winger, I love the square-markers as it is. I wouldn't change that rule at all.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
leave the markers, allow stealing in the tackle no matter how many players are involved, but if the ball goes backwards call it play on, if the defender knocks it forwards the knock on's against them.

maybe from stealing they should be diffferential so we dont see games won by penalty goals due to the attacked losing the ball or deliberately dropping it

Latest posts