What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does everyone think about this rule change proposal?

Prodigiousman

Juniors
If they take the Penalty Goal out of play - Hazem El Masri will have nothing to do - but get subbed on for goalkicks!

Not that he does much but he is as close to a NFL Place Kicker as you'll see... well we did see Ian Herron and Eion Crossan so maybe I'm being harsh.

(before dogs fans go wild - tongue planted firmly in cheek here)

ocko

juniors
hazem has become a much better player in open play the last few years, he's not just a goalkicker.

and for the record, you cannot make an interchange in between a try being scored and the conversion being kicked, so having a specialty kikcer on the bench is useless.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
ocko said:
hazem has become a much better player in open play the last few years, he's not just a goalkicker.

and for the record, you cannot make an interchange in between a try being scored and the conversion being kicked, so having a specialty kikcer on the bench is useless.

For the record champ... read my post again.

Or should I just change my name to Joe King

jamesgould

Juniors
*Paul* said:
Maybe in the old 5m days, most of them now are purely touch football style scoots to gain cheap territory.

If they ran the risk of losing possession then it really would become a skill to pick and chose your moment.

I say the if tackled - handover rule would be great, if restricted to the first two tackles of a set.

It might be a little complicated, but the first two tackles are where you get boring Brian Carney-like runs from dummy half every single set ... after then it tends to be more interesting play, or actually taking advantage of genuinely slack markers.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I think it could be a great idea as long as the markers are not allowed to more until the ball clears the ruck not as soon as it hits the ground. Otherwise I could forsee a scenario whereby the ball is played close to the line and the markers that are crouched simply dive on the ball.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
For mine three main areas to look at are (off the top of my head):

* Walking off the mark - it got to epidemic stages as the season progressed and players kept getting away with it. For mine this is more of a blight on the game than the stripping rule because it makes the game look terribly sloppy almost every ruck and impacts the referee's ability to keep the 10m despite this 'allowing for walking off the mark' call...

* Stripping rule has to stay as it is but the change comes from the Video Ref making an ON THE RUN call on it - from first view. Hate the idea of a replay deciding anything but if the Video Ref has the POWER to watch every carry and play the ball to immediately let the Ref know it was a strip - then penalty. But the ref shouldn't have to listen to him every ruck - he should make the decision on the run also but if the Video Ref sees something in the play immediately - he overcalls the onfield ref in this instance.
Also players dropping off should be discarded entirely from calculations - one on one strips should occur when there is only one player in contact with the ball carrier - not the 2nd or 3rd man in gibberish that is never ruled on consistently.

* Benefit of the Doubt to the defending team. No brainer here – unless you can say without any doubt that the attacking team has grounded the ball – a try cannot be awarded.

Bucket

Bench
in re: to GP i like warren ryan's idea of being golden try but ever minute a player from each team gets taken off the field by the coach so effectively it could go on until it is 1 on 1 trying to score a try.

TheBourbonBeast

Juniors
My radical rule changes:

Bring back unlimited tackles.

Allow one player on each team to be a designated lead blocker allowed to block any player he wants.

6 point tries.

Bring back the scrum to all it's former glory.

No stripping rules.

Canard

Immortal
Its only really teams with small quick guys that exploit dummy half running to its full extent.

Once they changed the "interpretation" of the ruck at about Round 7 this year, it overnight finished off the Cowboys season.

So Id say the "epidemic" is nowhere near as bad as made out.

If anything the change in the rule interpretation mean that teams like Brisbane, Melbourne, St George and Canterbury could "Bash and Barge" with Big Forward play over the rest of the comp, and teams with nippy little backs were dead in the water.

DACSSDOWN

Juniors
What about being able to strike for the ball from marker. If you thought someone was going to scoot from dummy half you could try and get the ball away from them, but you also run the risk of giving them another set of six. For this to work properly they need to police the walking off the mark a lot more as well. Just a thought.

Rocco

Juniors
so the markers can stand offside or anywhere around the play the ball area and tackle the player at dummy half after the ball has been played? i think that would be a dum rule. leave it as it is

Boxer

Juniors
Is it any wonder the refereees are having trouble controlling the game, and missing so much during play.
With all the rule changes over the last 10 years the GAME has been changed into a bash & barge spectacular.
Leave the F.....g rules alone.
In fact, bring back policing of some of the old rules like stepping of the mark, all the rough house s..t that is going on in tackles.
Tackle completed when forward motion has ceased. None of this picking blokes up or dragging them around the field like rag dolls.
This idea the the game has to flow at a furious pace to be worth watching on TV is a nonsense.

nqboy

First Grade
Boxer said:
Is it any wonder the refereees are having trouble controlling the game, and missing so much during play.
With all the rule changes over the last 10 years the GAME has been changed into a bash & barge spectacular.
Leave the F.....g rules alone.
In fact, bring back policing of some of the old rules like stepping of the mark, all the rough house s..t that is going on in tackles.
Tackle completed when forward motion has ceased. None of this picking blokes up or dragging them around the field like rag dolls.
This idea the the game has to flow at a furious pace to be worth watching on TV is a nonsense.
You can have one or the other, not both.

Boxer

Juniors
nqboy said:
You can have one or the other, not both.

There is no both.
The rules mentioned are still in the rule book, or they were last time I looked anyway.
That wasn't all that long ago, last season if I remember rightly.
What you or I think will have no bearing on it anyway. What the NRL want they will have.

icewind

Juniors
bring back the rake, against the feed scrums, and for d/half runners 2 can be involved for a legal strip.

salivor

First Grade
I don't understand the calls to leave the rules alone. League's greatest ability has been to contstantly evolve and try to make itself a better product while other sports i.e. Union stand still.

STEVE R

Juniors
I'm all for changing the rules. . . WHEN THEY NEED IT!
Most of these are simply changing rules for the sake of it.

Dummy half running is a part of the game. If the markers are in position the dummy half is odds on to get smashed (and so he won't run).

Markers generally struggle to get in position beacuse of 2 things.
a) a fast play the ball
b) the tackled player walking off the mark

There's nothing wrong with the fast play the ball (well done attacking team).
However, I am sick to death of referees calling out "he shortened it" in reference to the 10 metres. If he "shortened" the 1 metres, he's walked off the mark. Start pinging players for that and they won't do it.

I also believe that the "Sin Bin" needs an overhaul. 5 minutes in the bin should be brought back in (for say, basic dissent). 10 minutes remain for other offences. Also, if a player is binned for a "Professional Foul", his 10 minute stint should be cut short if the other team score a try within that period. Also, perhaps the most radical of the lot, the "Sin Bin" should be a designated area in full view of the crowd, where the player must sit (maybe in something that resembles a cage), but he should not be able to see the game, nor have a shower or drink to refresh himself.

Latest posts