What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happened to the crowds

Moffo

Referee
France/Ireland - 33,134 (22,000 short of capacity)

England/Wales - 45,000 (7,000 short of capacity)

That first crowd is a disgrace

Cheers,
Moffo

incredible_holc

Juniors
there was no where near that at the ENG WAL match!!!!

in quite a bit of the stadium it looked like it was hard stringing more than 4 people in a row, and there was hardly antone up the top, thats fudged if ive ever seen one

Moffo

Referee
incredible_holc said:
there was no where near that at the ENG WAL match!!!!

in quite a bit of the stadium it looked like it was hard stringing more than 4 people in a row, and there was hardly antone up the top, thats fudged if ive ever seen one

I thought the same, seemed a bit 'creative' to say the least :lol:

Cheers,
Moffo

thomo

Juniors
There were definitely tickets available. I got a letter in the mail today advising me that there were still great seats available to all the quarter final games.
:?: :?: :?:

Stevo_G

Juniors
you cannot be serious so 20000 people decide after buying expensive tickets they will not turn up what a load of bull shite and u know it

grayham

Juniors
AuckMel said:
The games should never have been held in Melbourne, during Cup week.

I heard of estimates that there were less than 2000 victorian residents at the quarter finals, with most of the crowd made up from overseas tourists or people from interstate.

So much for "converting" the AFL states.

dimitri

First Grade
if afl fans were ever going to convert they should at least convert to a sport where the ball is always in play, is fast, exciting and played with plenty of passion

RUGBY LEAGUE

grayham

Juniors
dimitri said:
if afl fans were ever going to convert they should at least convert to a sport where the ball is always in play, is fast, exciting and played with plenty of passion

RUGBY LEAGUE

We tried that, didnt like it.
Too slow, too stop-start, too boring.

eJay

Juniors
dimitri said:
It's a pity they've already got a game like that.

iggy plop

First Grade
grayham said:
dimitri said:

RUGBY LEAGUE

We tried that, didnt like it.
Too slow, too stop-start, too boring.

Oh you like that messy game called AFL, where things look promising when executed well, but such instances are all too infrequent. How such a pretty game on the surface can be so ugly. I love watching AFL highlights, but a full game or even a quarter, no way. There are times when players just throw or kick it for the sake of it.

dimitri

First Grade
its a poor attempt at copying gaelic football

gaelic football is much better than that cheap and nasty immitation

Mango

Juniors
wHAT HAPPENED TO THE CROWDS? At Sydney's Olympic stadium their are two crowd records....BOTH OF WHICH ARE HELD BY RUGBY. Under the original configuration the Wallabies vs All Blacks and under the new configeration it is 1. Wallabies vs All Blacks and 2. England vs France.....a rugby game not involving Australia has drawn more people than any other code....WELL MAY U ASK WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE CROWDS ...AT NON RUGBY MATCHES. :D :D 8) 8) RU NOW :oops: :oops: :oops:

grayham

Juniors
dimitri said:
its a poor attempt at copying gaelic football

gaelic football is much better than that cheap and nasty immitation

And you could count the number of gaelic games you've actually seen on one hand even if you cut all your fingers off.
Same with the number of rules you know.

Now there is only one sport I can think of that "poort attempt at copying" comes to mind.
:D

Bomber

Bench
Mango said:
wHAT HAPPENED TO THE CROWDS? At Sydney's Olympic stadium their are two crowd records....BOTH OF WHICH ARE HELD BY RUGBY. Under the original configuration the Wallabies vs All Blacks and under the new configeration it is 1. Wallabies vs All Blacks and 2. England vs France.....a rugby game not involving Australia has drawn more people than any other code....WELL MAY U ASK WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE CROWDS ...AT NON RUGBY MATCHES. :D :D 8) 8) RU NOW :oops: :oops: :oops:

Actually, Mango (or is it Womango?), the record crowd for the original configuration was at the 1999 League Grand Final. Every seat in the stadium was filled.

The record crowds you refer to are actually (merely) records for union.

Union is like a fad - it will pass.

Rooster Lozz

Juniors
I hate to say it but yes Mangoose is correct. The ground record under the original configuration was 109,874 Rugby Union 15/7/00 Bledisloe Cup 2000 Aus Vs NZ.
The NRL grand final in 1999 was 107,558, so union wins out in the we beat the world record game by 2,000 people.
Mangoose you were correct but get into the real world. This world cup has been a great success for union in Australia but they will never ever be able to throw league off the domestic mantle piece in NSW and QLD and will never throw AFL off its domestic mantle piece in the remaining states. Union will draw crowds to tri nations games and thats about it, be happy with what you've got and stop carrying on like a royal union tosser.

Bomber

Bench
Mango said:
Sorry Bomber old son. i am right and u are totally wrong. But that's normal for u. :D

:-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

Well, I'm still right in a literal sense....they are rugby union's records (even if they counted players on the field....)

What about the Olympics though? Didn't that sell out at least once?

Enjoy the World Cup Final....I'm setting my clock early for the next morning to watch a game where tries are scored.