What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What have we learnt in 2005?

thickos

First Grade
In thinking about the team for 2006, as well as those who won't be with us next season, what have we learnt with regards to the PLAYING ROSTER (let's leave the coaching staff out of this one).

IMO 2005 has shown us that:

* Phil Graham has really shown he belongs in the centres, with some dazzling performances. He has recaptured the confidence that left him in 2004, his defence has improved remarkably and when he starts getting long balls from Carney hitting him on the chest he will be a menace to opposition defences.

* Fears about Jason Smith not being up to it - totally unfounded. He's top 5 NRL players IMO. Will be a star again in 2006.

* Josh Miller is twice the player Ryan O'Hara will ever be. Heart, passion and commitment are the hallmarks of his game.

* Alan Tongue has an incredible impact on the nature of the team. He missed all bar 4 games last season and our defence was as soft as tissue paper. He's been awesome this year and seems to lift those around him. He OWNS Shane Webcke :D Having him in the team is great for team morale.

* Todd Carney was not ready at the start of this season, probably due to various reasons. But since shedding the kilos, his return to firsts has been great. Still raw but given the right preparation, he will explode in 2006. He has to, for our sake.

* Michael Weyman has every chance to be the best thing that never happened. :cry:

Your thoughts?

Evergreen

Juniors
Agree with all those points. Particularly the O'Hara/Miller comparison - I was never too sad about O'Hara leaving, but certainly any disappointment I was feeling has been quashed by Miller's performances this year.

We all knew that Flying Phil was going to prove to be something special after stringing a few games together. The ton of work he did in the off season has paid off, and I think we'll see him back bigger and even better in '06.

I too fear for Mick Weyman. The man just needs some luck to go his way, and the fact he's getting older might shake some of the brittleness, however one more serious injury and he could well be goornskis.

twistedbydesign

Juniors
Great points.

*Matt Adamson- the team has looked far more complete when he has been in the team storming onto the ball a couple of passes from the ruck. We have been lucky to have Wiki in this role for years and Matty has provided a more than capable replacement when on the field. Is there anyone in our 2006 squad that can fill this role and cause some trouble on the fringes?

woodgers

Bench
* Todd Carney was not ready at the start of this season, probably due to various reasons. But since shedding the kilos, his return to firsts has been great. Still raw but given the right preparation, he will explode in 2006. He has to, for our sake

* Phil Graham has really shown he belongs in the centres, with some dazzling performances. He has recaptured the confidence that left him in 2004, his defence has improved remarkably and when he starts getting long balls from Carney hitting him on the chest he will be a menace to opposition defences.

I agree with most of what you have said Thickos, besides this. These ones go hand in hand, Phil has only really looked decent when he is getting those balls from Carney and Smith, he certainly doesn't create his own opportunities if nothing is on. I still think Chalky should get a crack at a centre position, he runs the ball much straighter and harder than any outside back.

Todd was ready round 1, I don't believe any crap that management have sprouted otherwise. If all they can do is say that he wasn't fit then Jenno and others need a serious boot, their job is to make sure these players are fit BEFORE the start of the year, no good getting into top gear by round 15. An unfit halfback is still a better playmaker than a fit hooker and watching PL didn't seem to reveil that he was lacking the fitness that was suggested. It is no coincedence that our best footy this year has been in the past 3 weeks with 2 proper halves in those positions and we have even seen some decent attack and turned teams around with our kicking game. It took a bad suspension decision to force the hand of the coach and only now are we seeing what is possible.

What have I learnt in 2005? Same as the past 4 years, We need 2 decent halves on the park and then we may just be able to break teams down.

twistedbydesign said:
Great points.

*Matt Adamson- the team has looked far more complete when he has been in the team storming onto the ball a couple of passes from the ruck. We have been lucky to have Wiki in this role for years and Matty has provided a more than capable replacement when on the field. Is there anyone in our 2006 squad that can fill this role and cause some trouble on the fringes?

Learoyd-Lahrs.

I think Mogg has proved himself to be the biggest nuffy this year, and deserves to go to ESL. When's his contract up?

I'm also glad Hindmarsh is leaving, he's dead wood.

Boing Boing

Juniors
twistedbydesign said:
Great points.

Yes, Ben Cross. Unfortunately he won't be with us next year.

thickos

First Grade
woodgers said:
I agree with most of what you have said Thickos, besides this. These ones go hand in hand, Phil has only really looked decent when he is getting those balls from Carney and Smith, he certainly doesn't create his own opportunities if nothing is on. I still think Chalky should get a crack at a centre position, he runs the ball much straighter and harder than any outside back.

Todd was ready round 1, I don't believe any crap that management have sprouted otherwise. If all they can do is say that he wasn't fit then Jenno and others need a serious boot, their job is to make sure these players are fit BEFORE the start of the year, no good getting into top gear by round 15. An unfit halfback is still a better playmaker than a fit hooker and watching PL didn't seem to reveil that he was lacking the fitness that was suggested. It is no coincedence that our best footy this year has been in the past 3 weeks with 2 proper halves in those positions and we have even seen some decent attack and turned teams around with our kicking game. It took a bad suspension decision to force the hand of the coach and only now are we seeing what is possible.

What have I learnt in 2005? Same as the past 4 years, We need 2 decent halves on the park and then we may just be able to break teams down.

Fair points mate, I'll cop them. I guess having Smith around helps Carney a lot in this incarnation of his first grade career. I don't know if it was a weight thing, although I do think 93 kg's is too heavy for a half, despite his excellent performances in PL.

His confidence this time around seems a lot higher, and it is showing in his game. Amazing what a bit of faith can do.

On Phil - I still think he and Chalk are the best three-quarters we have. Sure he's looked good when getting a good ball from someone but the main thing for me is that he has a clue with the ball in hand, line running etc.

woodgers

Bench
The natural pace of 1st grade should make sure that his weight stays down or remains similar and it will be fine. Gee the dynamics of the game have changed, Laurie Daley was a big, strong 5/8 played his footy at 86kgs. Brad Fittler, Anasta and Barrett have these enormous upper bodies that are as powerful as a 2nd rower's and I just had a quick look, Fittler played at 96kgs! as does Anasta, Barrett is just behind at 92kgs. I checked a few others just to see how they stack up. John Morris at Parra is playing at 90kgs while the sensation that is John Sutton is playing 5/8 at 101kgs!

Phil will benefit from simply seeing more ball. He has quite possibly been out of touch for the past year because he rarely gets the footy. That means that besides the defending that he has been doing, it is similar to having long spells away from the game and we aren't getting the best that Phil Graham has to offer. He needs to want the footy though, watch Chalky, if he is playing out wide and not getting the ball then he will find a way to get it in his hands. Phil needs to get more involved basically.

Chachi

Bench
Yep, I also think there's been a lot of positives from this season. I'm still not sure on whether Graham is best for us in the centres, but I'd have him or Howell there any minute of any day of any year over Mogg.

I'm hoping Lomu can fill the boots of an Adamson or Wiki, but time will tell as to how much time he gets on the park and how he'll be best used.

The passion of Miller and Tongue really make this team worth watching. Throw in guys like Schif and Withers and you've got a great core of guys who look like they really want to play for us - I'll take that any day over players with too much ability who couldn't give a sh*t.

Raider_69

Post Whore
benmeyer said:
Yes, Ben Cross. Unfortunately he won't be with us next year.

:cry:

Shame. God he has been playing well the last few weeks
last week was his best in green since that imfamous Roosters game in 03

Stuart

Juniors
twistedbydesign said:
Great points.

For me that player is Lomu. Ive been very impressed with him since he came to canberra and i think Elliot bought him with that position/player type in mind.

Roy Rover

Juniors
Evergreen said:
Agree with all those points. Particularly the O'Hara/Miller comparison - I was never too sad about O'Hara leaving, but certainly any disappointment I was feeling has been quashed by Miller's performances this year.

I'm more sad about Cross leaving than O'Hara to be honest.
Tongue has been a revelation this season and Chalky has really impressed with limited oppurtunity.
Howell has proved to be a good pick up despite what most people think on here.
And Lomu also appears to be a quality addition to the side.
The jury is definitely still out with regards to Williams and Frawley.

argy-bargy

Juniors
Whenever a promising player is misteriously held back from 1st grade (carney, campo, ale), and we all start bagging elliot for being so blind in his selections. He always has the last laugh as they are usually average during those periods (dont know if i articulated that corectly but youse know what i mean)

BAY72

Juniors
agreed, '05 has shown Gaffa and Mogg need to be dropped, and Howel is not far behind. I still think Howel may hav epotential but hasn't shown it yet and maybe some time in reggies will help him find his spark.

Chalk Milne and Ale have all played well this season and I'd like to think they (with first grade experiance ) will see alot more time next year instead of Gaffa Mogg and Howel.

as for the rest, you guys have covered them well, and I too am hopeing that lomu can fill the gap left by Adamson. And fingers crossed that weyman can come back next year injury free and take crosses possition.

aussies1st

Staff member
If Howell could start running forward more often and stop the stupid decisions he would be one good winger

woodgers

Bench
aussies1st said:
If Howell could start running forward more often and stop the stupid decisions he would be one good winger

:lol: So what are you trying to say is that if he didn't play like David Howell, Didn't look like David Howell and was nothing like him, then he would be a good player?

I see you make a valid point.

twistedbydesign

Juniors
argy-bargy said:
Whenever a promising player is misteriously held back from 1st grade (carney, campo, ale), and we all start bagging elliot for being so blind in his selections. He always has the last laugh as they are usually average during those periods (dont know if i articulated that corectly but youse know what i mean)

haha Joe I can't believe you used 'articulate' and 'youse' in the same sentence.

It has taken me a while to warm to him but I think Howell is playing reasonable footy at the moment. I was looking at NRL.com's (admittedly sometimes inaccurate) linebreak stats the other day and Howell and Shif top our squad with 11 apiece. The highest avg per game was close between Shif (11 from 14) and Marshall Chalk (7 from 9).

If Gafa plays this weekend it will be his 19th attempt to break his duck for 2005.

aussies1st

Staff member
woodgers said:
:lol: So what are you trying to say is that if he didn't play like David Howell, Didn't look like David Howell and was nothing like him, then he would be a good player?

I see you make a valid point.

Im not asking that much am I? :lol: If it was Booga then I know this would be too much to ask for :lol:

Macko8

Juniors
Bobby DIGital said:
Learoyd-Lahrs.

I think Mogg has proved himself to be the biggest nuffy this year, and deserves to go to ESL. When's his contract up?

I'm also glad Hindmarsh is leaving, he's dead wood.

learoyd lahrs definetly if given the chance...i havent seen much of the kid but christ his a giant aint he 195cm 114kg, tilse another 2006 canidate for a big year 200cm 110kg....boy this forward pack looks great.

Latest posts