What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What have we learnt?

Dazzling Darius

Juniors
Ok. Let's go back 12 months. Even though we exceeded expectations, us fans had set new standards due to the ripper of a season that we were having. We were in a slump at the time. We got belted by souths but then came out and absolutely smashed the eels. Our season was back on track. 2 weeks later, it was all over.
From all the post mortems that there were, the main theme was that we went too hard too early. We peaked at the wrong time of the year and just ran out of energy in the end. As Sir Wayne stated, he wanted to rest the players at the back end of the year but didn't have the luxury due to our poor form. I'm more than happy that this is happening now and is further drummed into us from the article with Hickmans today.
However, I also thought that our attacking options at the back end of the year were very predictable. We didn't change from what we were throwing at the opposition throughout the year.
Well here we are 12 months on. We are resting players. Great...
Now I am probably one of the most optimistic supporters there are.
For the past 6 weeks I have predicted that we would not show our hand until the last few rounds of the season.
Well it is now the last few rounds of the season.
I feel that we really need to start varying our attack THIS weekend.
I have seen a few variations the past few weeks that we didn't score from but I was pleased to see the boys were changing things up.
I'm just worried that if we don't start trying to get new plays and/or new combinations happening now, then we won't be able to perfect it in the finals.
We need our momentum and confidence to kick in from now.
My questions are:
Can we lift?
Do we have another gear?
Have we learnt anything?
Please tell me yes,yes and definitely yes.

rainman44

Bench
If our team has a few things saved for the finals,then we will take some stopping but if we dont it will be very tough beating sides that wont die wondering like the tigers and roosters.Im just hoping bennett has a few tricks up his sleeve.

nrlnrl

First Grade
The Dragons definitely have another couple of gears, but they've only really put the foot down when they're chasing points eg - last 10-15 v Brisbane & Canberra.

It's like having that sports car driving to work on the busiest roads in peak-hour traffic. You'll reach the intended destination ( a win ), but could do it a lot smarter & by using less petrol.

What about being creative & using a different route that allows you to utilise the accelerator more than the brake ? When the Dragons have played expansive footy they look as good as any team in the comp.

Yes, it's all about winning games to put yourself in the best position for the finals, but surely you can take the handbrake off to unleash the power at your disposal !

Sorry for the strange analogy, but I find it frustrating when the Dragons are described as "boring" & teams like the Tigers are "the most attractive in the comp." The Dragons can balance their fantastic defence with up tempo attack that has plenty of variety through numerous options. I'm more than happy with the personnel at our disposal, but let's give them some freedom !

dragonfan1

Juniors
The Dragons definitely have another couple of gears, but they've only really put the foot down when they're chasing points eg - last 10-15 v Brisbane & Canberra.

Problem is though, dragons struggle when trailing as seen in almost all matches this season which they have lost when trailing at half time.

saint06

Juniors
I don't think we have many more gears to goup to. We have some brilliant players who can do something out of the ordinary. But as a team, i don't think we have too many other gears.

We will just rely on suffocating teams in the finals. Play our sets out, find our kick, and then have some sting in defence.

Probably not the answer you wanted to hear.

Me as much as anyone would like to see us win the comp. I just don't know if we have the attack.

SilverSteeler

Juniors
We can definitely win the comp and we are in a similiar situation as that of last year. Losing to the Eels in the first round last year severely dented our confidence and then went on to lose to the Broncs. We seem like a more confident side than last year but need to mix up our attack and use surprise as a weapon to win these playoff games.

Playing to our strengths has worked again this season, our smothering defence and out-working the oppostion as Saint06. But we need something extra when this doesnt work out.

Ulysseus

Bench
Yes, they struggle when trailing, show me one team that wont.

As for the attacking ability, the team is what it is.

Think of it this way, if they win their first finals game, they are one win away from the GF.
If they win the preliminary they are then in the GF.
If they get to GF and score 18 points while the opposition has scored none, they can then continue their tactic and just hold the opposition down their own end and suffocate them out of the game.
Its simple.
Some call it boring.
But no one does it better than Saints.
That's why we love them, Saints may not have attacking spark up the ying yang, but Saints bring that "choke them to death" style to every game they play, as opposed to a team that brings their "lets try everything in attack and maybe some of it will work, god only knows its gonna cause a few handling errors in our own end" mentality to a game - it works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't.
We know if it doesn't work in the GF and that opposition is down by more than 3 converted tries at any point then they are f**ked and will just go down in a heap as the consistency machine, which has its game plan mastered and implemented, takes it up for 5 and kicks deep and holds them to mercy making them force their hand in all manner of stupidity that can only bury them deeper into a hole.

ebbedfred

Bench
Some call it boring.

I call it effective, and trust me, EVERY other team would play that way IF they thought they had the defence to back it up, but they don't.

I don't think any team in the NRL would rather lose pretty, than win ugly, ESPECIALLY at the business end of the year.

Saint 60

Juniors
Most of this talk is press talk..those flips on the telly and radio who want ratings..ehh

What ive learned is never trust News limited :)

Dragon Dave

Bench
I've learnt that finals football is a different ball game.

Ive also learnt that if St George play anywhere near their best - they can comfortably beat anyone and everyone.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I've learnt that Saints under Bennet are a different football team. Bennett is a brilliant coach and will win us the comp this year as he would have learnt alot from last year and is the type of coach who fixes any problems quick smart.

Ulysseus

Bench
its all about teamwork...........
teamwork-nazis.jpg

Dazzling Darius

Juniors
I enjoy watching the team suffocate the opposition when they are ahead, but my only concern is that we aren't building a big enough lead to do it. Can't remember the last time we got ahead by 2 tries. I wanna see them go for the kill when we are leading. The raiders game may make other teams believe that if they stay close to us for long enough they'll be able to pull away in the end.