What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What If's

TRANSLATION

Juniors
I know we should never pre judge what will happen, especially with things that are before the courts. But, If you were a Major Sponsor and you were sitting back watching the proceedings. What do you think the Sponsors will do, if they are found Not guilty by the courts, yet the NRL take action ?

I got a feeling that no matter what, Unless a Player is terminated from his contract with the club, they will lose millions in Funding. They need a scapegoat these Sponsors, in order for them to continue their associationwith the Club

Got A Feeling Guilty or not Guilty, someone will be shown the door.

This is my opinion, but the game and the club has got extremely bad publicity out of this, and for credibility stakes, someone will pay the price.

gaterooze

Bench
You're probably right, gilla. Anyone who broke the code of conduct AND the tool who made the comments to the media about gang banging in League, which have the sponsors more worried than the actual"alleged incident".

It's the whole weekend scenario and comments that have been attributed to them since. I think they will lose a lot of sponsorship.

Also imagine how the players that aren't involved in any of the shenanigans must feel. Especially blokes like Steve Price for example or Mark O'Meley who wasn't even there.

sydraider

First Grade
Its a bad few in a bunch.
Personally i would have the board as well as the players involved accountable, after last years accusations, the players were still left to run rampant in coffs. Why had they not adressed the issue further instead of just laying out a few guidelines. The players had ignored them, just means they werent to heavily inforced IMO.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
This problem is a microscopic version of what is happening to Premier League footballers in the UK.

We have had several revelations in the press this year about gang-rapes, orgies and everything else inbetween! There was a fascinating guessing game going where it was revealed 7 players were being arrested for the rape of a girl. Every player in the game was rumoured to have done it, but eventually the girl took a large cheque and it went quiet.

Its big man syndrome at its worst this. People who would otherwise not be in the public eye are thrust there by the sport they play. With the massive wages they get comapred to 'normal' jobs like working in Maccies, and the hardman image in the sport a lot see themselves on an elevated plain from the rest of society.

The ONLY way to combat them is to hit them where it hurts. A whacking fine and club-imposed community service sentances should straighten these freaks out. Its a vital issue that needs resolving. NRL players are now highly unlikely to be singled out as good figureheads for advertising campaigns now are they.

Grantwhy

Juniors
From what i have read, one of the Bulldogs (minor) sponors are not going to renew their sponsorships when it runs out.

And both the Bulldogs and their major sponsor have the option of pulling out of the sponsorship if the other it into disrepute. (this would probable be an option with every other Club and their major sponsors)

ok - found where i read it - it's in the middle of this story

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/02/1078191327121.html

New Bulldogs sponsorship deals worth about $1 million with Bing Lee and Bradley Australia have been put on hold indefinitely, while another sponsor, Perfection Fresh Markets Australia, will discuss at a board meeting tomorrow whether to end its association with the club.

Mitsubishi Electric - whose representatives Mortimer is due to meet this week - recently extended its $1 million-per-year backing for a further two years but the contract contains a clause enabling either party to opt out if the other brings it into disrepute.

Mortimer said: "I'm going to go over on Friday and see them but they've basically said that they are going to support us until the police investigation is finalised."