What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Plan B?

playdaball

Bench
With regard to recruitment what is our 'plan B' after missing out on White and Matai? It also seems that Blair may stay at the Storm if / when Inglis closes a deal with the Broncs or Titans.

C'mon Mr Bell step up to the plate find us a prop and / or Centre.

PS - Not all bad with Mateo & Inu crossing the Tasman.

With all the $$$ available i would like to think there are 2 more signings to come. I think James Tamou from the Cowboys would be a great signing for the prop position. he wouldnt be that expensive so that would leave sum cash for an experianced outside back

Juju

Juniors
With all the $$$ available i would like to think there are 2 more signings to come. I think James Tamou from the Cowboys would be a great signing for the prop position. he wouldnt be that expensive so that would leave sum cash for an experianced outside back

He resigned for the cows when JT did, so he's off the market.

ozreece77

Juniors
Steve Rapira is our best signing so far this year. He will be better value than the 2 parraflakes we signed.

Martli

Coach
No point unless they're top class, otherwise lets sign up some juniors to round out the squad.

Iafeta

Referee
Steve Rapira is our best signing so far this year. He will be better value than the 2 parraflakes we signed.

Who is he going to dislodge? Ta'ai? Brown?

He's a mini-me Michael Luck and nothing more at this stage. Good tackler, but has offered nothing else in first grade.

Lego_Man

First Grade

If he was that good, the Cowboys would have locked him up longterm.

If he was Australian and his last name wasnt Rapira, we'd never have signed him.

We just want to make sure his brother is shored up in New Zealand for the future, having his brother here would help.

I don't believe Clinton Toopi is signed for next year. I'm sure he would love to come back home for a final stint with his old club and wouldn't cost much.

Scott

Bench
I don't believe Clinton Toopi is signed for next year. I'm sure he would love to come back home for a final stint with his old club and wouldn't cost much.

NO NO NO NO NO

Seriously though, if last year taught us anything it was that the past should stay in the past!
(Refering to Stacey Jones).

Iafeta

Referee
Rogers would easily be my pick. He runs really nice lines and swerves through gaps well. However, I doubt we could get him to come over to NZ at this stage of his career.

I don't know if there is a plan B as such. I think realistically we will work on tying up our current stock, including Manu Vatuvei long term, and work to insure we have a good core group of our u20s locked up as well. There doesn't appear to be a whole heap of quality out there, a lot of clubs are stockpiling fringe journeymen on their free agents listed waiting to see what the Storm outcome is. If anything, the whole Melbourne situation I think has made many clubs recruitment plans turn into nightmares.

In truth, we needed to look at props and centres, but there's just no realistic quality out there. No point going for reggies. The only other option is if a top quality pom comes onto the market. But I dare say I'm not sure how successful that avenue will be either, as I'm sure they'll be using Burgess and Ellis as a reference and I'm sure both will happily promote Sydney's prospects as a destination as opposed to Auckland. I would have hoped though Dean Bell would have used his contact list in the ESL to find us some good options. Also, remembering how we got the likes of Brown and Maloney (through Ivan Cleary contacts), it'd be interesting to see if a good talent say like a Chase Stanley who isn't a premier talent yet but very talented none the less is on the market anywhere.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
if we could get some good, young (emphasis on both) talent from the superleague, let's plunder the uk.

i'd be genuinely interested to see how some uk club academy players would do in the -20s and nsw cup, but i'm hoping for a bit much to ever expect to see it.

ozbash

Referee
Rogers would easily be my pick. He runs really nice lines and swerves through gaps well. However, I doubt we could get him to come over to NZ at this stage of his career.

I don't know if there is a plan B as such. I think realistically we will work on tying up our current stock, including Manu Vatuvei long term, and work to insure we have a good core group of our u20s locked up as well. There doesn't appear to be a whole heap of quality out there, a lot of clubs are stockpiling fringe journeymen on their free agents listed waiting to see what the Storm outcome is. If anything, the whole Melbourne situation I think has made many clubs recruitment plans turn into nightmares.

In truth, we needed to look at props and centres, but there's just no realistic quality out there. No point going for reggies. The only other option is if a top quality pom comes onto the market. But I dare say I'm not sure how successful that avenue will be either, as I'm sure they'll be using Burgess and Ellis as a reference and I'm sure both will happily promote Sydney's prospects as a destination as opposed to Auckland. I would have hoped though Dean Bell would have used his contact list in the ESL to find us some good options. Also, remembering how we got the likes of Brown and Maloney (through Ivan Cleary contacts), it'd be interesting to see if a good talent say like a Chase Stanley who isn't a premier talent yet but very talented none the less is on the market anywhere.

pretty much bang on imo.

to hell with the big $$ 'marque' players, if our talent spotters are any good, target the U20's teams and start building a future.

joseph1

Juniors
Isnt Frank Pritchard off contract? If were aiming for the most devastating pack in the comp we might as well pick him up and knock him into shape. Lets assemble a kiwis forward pack. 8) Rapira 9) Heremaia 10) Packer 11) Mannering 12) Taai 13) Luck 14) Brown 15) Mateo 16) Matulino 17) Pritchard. Would be the best bench in the comp. Then train Locke up as fullback 1) Locke 2) Tupou 3) Inu 4) Ropati 5) Vatuvei 6) Maloney 7) John. Can get rid of Royal Henderson and Hohaia. Keep Latimore as backup prop and Seymour as backup half. Thatd be a fine squad. Long term we could get rid of Luck and Seymour and bring in Steve Rapira. Maloney is our only crucial Aussie player atm.

Last edited:

ozreece77

Juniors

glad you arent in charge of Warriors recruitment.
You would invest $$ in a player who turns 35 next February?
For what purpose? He would spend more time on the sidelines injured as he has for the titans this year. Look at Price and Wiki as reference points and have another think....

ozreece77

Juniors
Who is he going to dislodge? Ta'ai? Brown?

He's a mini-me Michael Luck and nothing more at this stage. Good tackler, but has offered nothing else in first grade.

Don't think you watched many of the early Cowboys games otherwise you wouldnt have made such an uninformed comment.
Before he got injured Rapira was probably their most penetrating forward apart from Bolton. He has tremendous power in his legs which makes him very hard to pull down. He is nothing like Michael Luck...
If he stays healthy, he will have bigger raps on him this time next year than Mateo or Inu....easily.

Iafeta

Referee
glad you arent in charge of Warriors recruitment.
You would invest $$ in a player who turns 35 next February?
For what purpose? He would spend more time on the sidelines injured as he has for the titans this year. Look at Price and Wiki as reference points and have another think....

For one season, yes. We have a shortage in the centres next season which is as clear as day. Matai was the other option for a longer term but he wouldn't commit obviously.

I would invest $$$ into a player with a view to them acting as a mentor to the young outside backs coming through the grades. He has a wealth of experience as a winger, centre and five eighth.

You would be happy with us potentially being short of utilising the cap by say $500K? Even if Rogers came for $200K, you've lost nothing but extra experience and mentoring.

Iafeta

Referee
Don't think you watched many of the early Cowboys games otherwise you wouldnt have made such an uninformed comment.
Before he got injured Rapira was probably their most penetrating forward apart from Bolton. He has tremendous power in his legs which makes him very hard to pull down. He is nothing like Michael Luck...
If he stays healthy, he will have bigger raps on him this time next year than Mateo or Inu....easily.

Rampaging penetrative forward.

Hmmmm...

46 metres a game. Very penetrative. No line breaks. Admittedly his tackle break numbers are decent, but not outstanding. Even Luck and Lillyman have higher numbers than that in terms of meterage.

Steve's best attribute easily is his hit zone in defence. He had one of the best techniques in U20s I can remember. It certainly wasn't and never was his running prowess that has attracted attention.

If he was that good, the Cowboys would have locked him up longterm.

If he was Australian and his last name wasnt Rapira, we'd never have signed him.

We just want to make sure his brother is shored up in New Zealand for the future, having his brother here would help.

Pretty much. You're 100% right. Steve was recruited to entice Sam to stay longer.

Latest posts