What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the most controversial incident in league history?

Courtesy of Willow and Rasputin, I think that we've just had a "time machine' experience and gone back to the original way Controversy Corner used to operate in the 60's and 70's on the Channel 7 sports show. Start off with a topic and then see a couple of panelist (e.g., Rex Mossop and Ferris Ashton) go off on their own private war. Of course there were no deletions in those days.
Just on another tangent does anyone remember who was on the panels? I think Noel Kelly was a member for a while but I can't remember the others..
And let's keep the controversial incidents ocming.
Cheers
Bigbopper

imported_kier

Juniors
I don't think it's the most controversial incident.....but the Harrogan reffing in the first GB v NZ test in 1998 still annoys me.

First he allows NZ the play the ball well after the half time siren........NZ scored as the BB team were walking off the pitch.

Then, in the final minute Keith Senior is illegally tackled whilst in possesion of the ball in then NZ goal area...........Harragon give a penalty (next to the touch line) rather than the penalty try that should have been given.

GB lost by 6........

O

ozbash

i guess there are heaps of controvercial calls during the years. i have a book called
"Thats Rugby League"(new light on footballs greatest controversies)
Graham McNeice and Ian Collis.
apparently McNeice made a video of the same title.

well worth the read and the best imho is the yarn about "bumper"Farrells teeth.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yes, Bumper Farrell took off a piece of someone's ear.
I can't recall who it was that was silly enough to put their ear in Bumper's mouth. Anyone know?

O

ozbash

well , apparently bumper was a fairly big rough and ready sort of a bloke and the story goes that st geo front rower, Bill McRitchie stuck his ear somewhere in the vicinity of bumpers gnashers and lost quite a major chunk of it.McRitchie spent a few weeks in hospital recovering.
bumper was exonerated by the nsw rl general commitee by 15 votes to 12.
he reckons he left his false teeth in the dressing room

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Good ol' Bumper... the classic nibbler.
I seem to recall that Frank Farrell was Newtown cop andI think he went on to higher honours in the NSW Police Force... TDT-1 should know.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Earl Park Riot was front page news in it's day.
This extract is copied from a website:

Earl Park, 11 August 1928: Saints won a spiteful and controversial match 21-3 in front of 6000 people. The often firey match between St George & Balmain ended with scenes of crowd violence.
St George players retaliated when team mate, George Carstairs was kicked about the head by a Balmain player. An all in brawl followed and spectators got involved. Police intervened using hand cuffs, batons and fists in an effort to quell what the press have dubbed, 'the Earl Park riot'.
It appears the source of the aggravation was Referee Brannaghan who lost control of the match when he sent off St George forward Harry Flower early in the 2nd half but allowed Balmain players to stay on the field despite further acts of thuggery.
The incident with Carstairs occurred five minutes from fulltime. Earlier, Carstairs had been kicked in the face while playing the ball but on this occasion he was knocked unconscious when kickedabout the head by Balmain forward, Tony Russell.
Incredibly, Brannaghan only cautioned Russell thus bringing strong reaction from the crowd.
Following an on field brawl amongst the players, St George coach, Frank Burgh and secretary, Reg Fusedale approached Brannaghan for an explanation.
The game continued but another incident at fulltime escalated the already volatile situation.
With the match over, Balmain's George Bishop began chasing St George player, Arnold Traynor. This infuriated sections of the crowd and hundreds invaded the ground with the intention of seeking revenge on the Balmain players. St George supporters ripped off fence palings to be used as weapons and one witness reported seeing a man running around behind the grandstand with an axe.
Police arrived but not before Russell was badly beaten by the crowd. He suffered leg and head injuries and was put into the same ambulance as George Carstairs where it was reported that Russelllunged over and attempted to assault Carstairs. Ambulance officers had to intervene to restrain him.
Meanwhile police were making numerous arrests and order was eventually restored.
A week later, a NSWRL investigation blamed crowd violence and not the players for the disturbance.

Ramit54

Juniors
Bumper Farell rose to the rank of Inspector First Class in charge of the Darlinghurst station, with over 200 men under his command. He retired in 1976 and died in 1985
Cheers Retread

yeah Ozbash, i got the 'thats rugby league' video. Its brilliant, well done by Graham McNiece and pretty much talks about everything that has happened in league from 1895-1999. I recommend that anyone who hasn't seen it grabs a copy of it, ive probably watched it 4 times so far....and its a three hour movie!
Lets just leave forum issues from WORL on WORL... the squabbling that has already gone on there is sad enough, lets not bring that rubbish over here
The Fan.

Willow,
Saints had some pretty rugged teams in the late 1920's. I remember reading about one game being described as a contest between the battle-axe (Saints) and the rapier (Souths). In a few games against Saints, Souths finished with 11 or 12 players.
Cheers
Bigbopper°

Latest posts