What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the outcome with watching NRL online?

Paullyboy

Coach
I live in England and have decided to do what I did with NFL and buy a subscription rather than muck about with illegal sites that just ended up annoying me. So I've gone to the link from the NRL.com site (nrllive.tv) and it says they are not offering the service in 2013. Is this something related to the recent TV deal? I remember reading something about a change to online but can't remember when that came in, and more importantly, what that change would be.

Does anyone know any more about it?

cleary89

Coach
I'm the same. Premier sports is still negotiating with them too. And even then, don't have it on sky go so can't have it during the summer when I travel.

So dumb that you have to do it illegally because you cannot buy it.

Rosetta

Juniors
I live in England and have decided to do what I did with NFL and buy a subscription rather than muck about with illegal sites that just ended up annoying me. So I've gone to the link from the NRL.com site (nrllive.tv) and it says they are not offering the service in 2013. Is this something related to the recent TV deal? I remember reading something about a change to online but can't remember when that came in, and more importantly, what that change would be.

It's hard to answer the question, what we do know is IMG Media have the international rights for the next 5 years and have some guarantees in this contract.

http://www.nrl.com/new-international-television-deal/tabid/10874/newsid/70545/default.aspx

The partnership covers free-to-air television, subscription television, IPTV, mobile, in-ship, in-flight and gaming rights, as well as access to the NRL Films archive, and will provide international fans with:

• Guaranteed television coverage in key markets including the UK, USA, Asia, and Pacific;

• Access to all games in HD either through television or online platforms, as well as access to a 30-minute weekly highlights show;

• A free digital NRL Channel for international fans featuring match vision and a mobile NRL app;

• All NRL and State of Origin matches available on a live or near-live basis via television or online, mobile applications, smart TVs or other media platforms;

• International fans in regions where there is no TV or IPTV rights deals in place will be able to access matches for free on a leading web destination, such as YouTube or USTREAM.

Whether the NRL will provide it's own international online coverage as well is unknown, the AFL launched http://afltv.afl.com.au/ yesterday which is what the NRL should do as well but the IMG deal may prevent it.

Last edited:

walter3000

Juniors
I asked a similar question, I live in the USA, I got an email reply from the NRL:

We are currently in the process of finalising all international broadcast deals for the Premiership season and will have all the details on NRL.com prior to the season's commencement.

Be assured that fans in the USA will have access to all games either via television or an online platform.

Thanks for your support of Rugby League.

Clarke

Juniors

I thought you lived in Brisbane :p

Latest posts