What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What mark will confirm that Melbourne have 'made it for keeps' in the NRL?

yakstorm

First Grade
phonetic said:
News limited teams don't sit well with me, now matter how many they pull through the gate.

I'd love to see a strong Victorian side, just get rid of News and fight the good fight. That's my 2 cents.

Until that happens, the Storm will only be an NRL plaything to me.

A very fair call, and its why its a positive move that steps are being made to make the Storm a sustainable entity without News. Naturally many of these things are reliant on the Storm getting their new stadium, but at least the steps are being taken.

Increasing gates, a strong and growing sponsorship portfolio, plus growing recognition in the Melbourne market are all helping the club turn from a loss making entity into something self-sufficent in the future.

Honestly as a Storm fan I'd love to eventually see the Storm as a profitable entity with a significant shareholder being the VRL, similar to the Raiders where their local league has a significant share of the club. Whether that will happen or not, only time will tell, but it would be great to see.

Ice777

Bench
BuffaloRules said:
I would say they have made it when they can average 20K crowds in a year when they dont make the 8...

Why is it that the Storm need to get 20K to "make it" yet not one Sydney team even got close to that this year whether they finished inside or outside the 8? Please don't give me the ridiculously simplistic line of "Melbourne are a one team town so they should get 20K"

That's just like saying the Swans are expected to get a higher average crowd than every AFL club in Melbourne which is impossible. As it stands the Swans beat 4 Melbourne sides which is a good effort but still way off the pace when it comes to the big Melbourne sides.

As mentioned no Sydney team got close to 20K finishing in or out of the 8 yet we're expected to have 20K to finally say we've made it when we finish in the bottom half of the draw? The last time a Sydney team drew that were the Dogs in 2003 but they finished 3rd not out of the 8 so as you can see it's hardly a common occurance in the rugby league heartland let alone a largely AFL obsessed heartland.

Who knows? We could very well get close to those numbers down the track but regardless of if we do or not i think you're drawing a very long bow and being a bit unrealistic when you look at the rugby league climate in regards to crowd figures and gauge whether we're a success or not on just that one criteria.

Quidgybo

Bench
I think there are two distinct questions here. Firstly, when can we declare the Storm are here for good; and secondly, when can we declare that Rugby League has made it in Melbourne.

In my opinion the Storm have already confirmed their place in the competition or have done so at least as much as any club. Whether it be News Ltd, a Leagues club or a private millionaire, every club's tenure in the competition is only as secure as the capacity/interest of their financial backer to keep funding them. If Cronulla Leagues Club strikes hard times and can no longer pay the shortfall in the football club then the Sharks are in trouble. If Max Delmege loses interest and pulls out of Manly then the Sea Eagles are in trouble. And both the local Leagues Club and the private millionaire are significantly more susceptible to the way the wind blows from one year to the next than a billion dollar multi-national. There is little doubt about News Ltd's capacity to keep funding the Storm, the only questions are their interest and whether anyone else would consider stepping in if News Ltd ever pull out.

The Storm have two major advantages over every other team in the comp. They are based in Melbourne - Australia's second biggest city (by some distance). And they have a monopoly on selling the product of Rugby League to that city. That alone makes them an attractive *long term* investment for any number of corporate and private businesses. For News Ltd specifically a presence in Melbourne translates to increased subscribers to their Foxtel/Fox Sports investments, increased corporate sponsorship for their NRL Partnership investment and perhaps even increased sales of their Herald-Sun newspaper investment. If a presence in both of Australia's financial heartlands means' that Telstra pays a couple of million more to sponsor the premiership and AAMI pay more to sponsor the ref's and Bundy Rum pays more to sponsor MNF etc then that's all money that balances the costs of running the Storm. If the presence of the Storm adds 10,000 subscribers for Foxtel in Melbourne (or about $12m per year) then that's profit that balances the costs of running the Storm The reality is it almost doesn't matter how much red ink the Storm runs up. In comparison to the benefits to their other significantly larger investments, it's pocket money for a company like News Ltd. Ten years on, the Storm are here to stay.

The second question, when will Rugby League have made it in Melbourne, is completely in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion, Rugby League will not have made it in Melbourne until we have two NRL teams based in the city, each drawing average crowds around 20,000 per game or higher and we have equal or near equal free to air television coverage with average ratings at least equal to Brisbane (a smaller city). This may seem a huge ask and it is quite a few decades away at the earliest but only when we reach that point can we claim to be anything but a fringe interest in a city as big as Melbourne. It doesn't mean we won't still live in the shadow of the AFL but only then will we have a place in the entire city's heart and consciousness in our right. That's the sort of thing that takes generations to achieve but just as importantly it's the sort of thing that takes generations to undo. *That's* when RL will have made it. Until that day we must remain vigilant in pushing the game and stubbornly holding onto our beachhead in the southern capital. The long term rewards for Rugby League of the situation I've just described are more than worth the effort and expense. But until the above situation is achieved any retreat or resting on our laurels could see decades of pain and tens (even hundreds) of millions of dollars of investment go to waste in mere months.

Leigh.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What shows me they have made it?

Crowds that are on par with most of the rest of the NRL - Yep
Attracting decent TV audiences for RL events - Yep
A stadium that is up there with the best - soon to be
A team that is competitive - yep

Areas they need to improve as mentioned are junior development to get some Vic players in the squad and financial improvement to cut loose the News Ltd apron strings.

All in all Melbourne are doing a fantastic job in an aggressive non RL area and as the only "true" expansion team in the NRL should be congratulated.