What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What more can possibly go wrong in 07

Nuffy

Bench
I must admit that I'm totally over 07, we just seem unable to get a single piece of good luck this year.

17 FGers missing this week, how can that possibly be the case? The NRL has now become a lucky dip, the best teams aren't the most talent laden, but the luckiest with injuries.

We've had ANOTHER horror run with injuries, I'm starting to wonder what this club has done to endure such a continuous run of injuries and just as depressingly, extra focus hasn't made a zack of difference.

I know that we have the USTEP framework in place, but the reality is its not made a ounce of difference this year, I'm not critical of USTEP but it would seems that irrespective of preparation, conditioning and training, it still comes down to sheer dumbass luck and we just aren't a lucky club.

I'm over this year, we don't stand a chance because we can't even get even get our 2nd best team on the park, its down to the 3rd stringers and thats really starting to sh*t me no end.

2007 is a writeoff, surely our luck must change in the next 2-3 decades!

And I just can't finish without a special mention of BIHK, things weren't going too bad until he opened his big yap, I've never seen one person put a bigger mock on things than he managed to in one small comment

Nuffy

Bench
Mate, my frustration is not with the team but rather the reality that lucky teams rather than the best teams will win in the NRL.

And I'm frustrated that we seem to have been abandoned by lady luck for an extended period of time.

I agree, generally the sides with the least worries in terms of injuries will win the premiership as long as they are well placed in the top 8. All of these injuries are pis*ing me off, we have become the most injury plagued side in modern history. I have no doubts we would make the finals if we had only a few injured players, a few of the lesser players of course. Hopefully we have better luck next year

keeney

First Grade
I'm starting to wonder about our conditioning again.

Although the sheer number of Monday Night games can't be helping us.

Knightmare

Coach
Could be worse- could be running dead last. That Newcastle are still one win out of the top 8 is a testament to how the team has pulled together since Round 3. On saying that, it WOULD be nice to win more than one game in a row and have a F/A that wasn't in the red...

Knightmare said:
Could be worse- could be running dead last. That Newcastle are still one win out of the top 8 is a testament to how the team has pulled together since Round 3. On saying that, it WOULD be nice to win more than one game in a row and have a F/A that wasn't in the red...

LOL, we'll need to beat a team by 1000 to clear that one up:lol: that's one thing about us no matter how good were doing we always get annihilated at least two or three times during the season. It'd be nice if we didn't get touched up so badly.

This has been going on for three years now this injury toll. The salary cap needs to be increased to allow for more depth in clubs to cover for this. the standard of league over the last month has been ordinary across the board. I mean the game's two best players are gone for the season, Joey (retirement) and Locky (Knee), along with possibly Willie Mason as well. The game is in danger of imploding due to the strain of a long season. Corporate greed is ruining the player's careers. 25 rounds is too long a season. Gallop just sits there and does nothing. "We will look at that in the off season" is his standard reply. All marquee players are biting the dust. Benji, SBW ect. etc. It is extraordinary what has happened. The NRL needs to overhaul the games rules to better protect the players and stop eroding the hopes of league fans who literally wait for their team to fall apart at the seems with injuries. The Broncos are gone, and just when they looked ready to defend their title. What's worse is that Clint Newton is running around like the ultimate bandwagon hopper. Is there no justice?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
To be honest, I think tonight summed up our lack of luck throughout not only this year, but over the course of the last couple of years. With the boys leading by one, and looking set to cause a boilover, good old Mr Archer penalises us for something that the Roosters were guilty of doing all match as well.

Let me say this though, I'm not for one second blaming the referee for us losing, because it seems its the easy way out when your team loses ;-)

And then to compound things, with cover coming across ready to bundle (Monaghan I think it was) into touch, MacDougall slips over and the Roosters score the try. Doogs doesn't slip over, he makes the tackle, we win the game.

Jono078

Referee
What more can possibly go wrong in 07 ?

Zeb Taia getting injured and losing a game in the last minutes... Again :x

Jobdog said:
To be honest, I think tonight summed up our lack of luck throughout not only this year, but over the course of the last couple of years. With the boys leading by one, and looking set to cause a boilover, good old Mr Archer penalises us for something that the Roosters were guilty of doing all match as well.

Let me say this though, I'm not for one second blaming the referee for us losing, because it seems its the easy way out when your team loses ;-)

And then to compound things, with cover coming across ready to bundle (Monaghan I think it was) into touch, MacDougall slips over and the Roosters score the try. Doogs doesn't slip over, he makes the tackle, we win the game.

Don't forget Doogs was stranded out wide in the first place because McManus came in trying to shut down Tupou I think it was otherwise we would of had player on player.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We had a few horror runs with injury at Parra over the years - '96, '03, '04 and '06 but I don't think I've ever seen anything like what's happened to your team. It's not so much the volume but the losses of key players.

It sucks, especially when it happens mid-season and you feel like you're racing the calendar to get them back in time to make a difference.

Newie is God's Country said:
25 rounds is too long a season.

The NFL only play a 16 round regular season.

Personally I want to watch my team play twice a week all year long but I'd be happy with a shorter season and injuries playing less of a role in determining the Premiers.

I mean, whoever wins it this year, history will never know if Brisbane would've gone back-to-back because Lockyer's gone.

It's frustrating for everyone.

Serc

First Grade
McManus was trying to shut down a 3 vs 2 situation, has pulled it off 9/10 this year and a shame this was the one that didn't work :(

Ben

Bench
McManus made the right move. If Tupou was facing him he wouldve been able to wrap him up ball and all. He has been doing it all year to great effect. But this time, Tupou had his back turned due to a poor pass from Anasta, and as a result, McManus couldn't get his hands onto the ball.

Doctor

Bench
I'm not so worried about our performances because I think they're merely an extension of the player availability crisis. And it is a crisis, arguably worse than that dreaded 2005 season when we struggled to compete on the ladder and keep players on the park.

So, injuries are clearly a big factor but the next question is: why? There are two possibilities, I believe:

1. Our training regime is conducive to injuries. I'm amazed how many players seem fit after a game, only to be ruled out after a "training accident" or "injury at training". What are we doing at training that causes so many injuries? Is the person running the training the same person who brought in the alleged tackle-bags that clearly did not get much use?

2. We're picking injury-proned players and/or retaining players with chronic susceptibility to injury.

To merely put it down to bad luck is a mistake. This seems a club cultural thing, something we're resigned to copping on the chin. It's a wonder we're so competitive in some games, given the injury toll. We've gone through five or six fullbacks, three halves, three 5/8ths, three hookers and countless props. When we get Reynoldson and Snowden back, suddenly Simpson and Abraham are out. Why is it that every player seems to be injured, either with a niggling problem or long-term damage?

You know you're in trouble when your hospital list could beat your current team. The question is: why is it happening?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I think half the reason why its happening is because there are injuries which cannot be prevented no matter what you do. The problem from where I see it is that when we get players injured, its usually a handful, and then a few weeks after they get injured, another handful will. This is compounded by the fact that those who are already injured are perhaps being made to come back a few weeks earlier than they perhaps should be.

Whats Doing

Bench
I said when Walsh kicked the field goal, we would lose in the last 5 minutes down our right side defence. How true that was!!

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
We get injuries because teams dont fear us. We arent physical we havent got a physical pack and teams steam roll us 4-5 times a year because we have had a bunch of powderpuff fools as props. Perry, Woolnough, Newton, Reynoldson and Tanner does that scare you? sh*t that doesnt even scare me or my 12 year old sister. Simmo is the excpetion but he has no back up and hasn't since BK left. I have yet to see Snowden play remotely to the talent people keep saying he has White and Royal are solid PL players and nothing more. Other team play physical against us and we get pumped. But I am worried about the amount of injuries we get during training though, something is going on there.