What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What movies changed you?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
A couple of mine are

Lion, I am just so privileged, so many live in poverty, I hate that.

Mad Max II, never seen a man beat a snake before.

A bully can also be a good man, loved the twist as he had sand and the fuel went elsewhere.

Hence I get angry in meetings.

Full Metal Jacket, from Mary-Jane rotten crouch to me love you long time, but not you, you to big.

I avoided military.

Sadly any Father/daughter flick makes me cry. Makes me feel like I should sun tan my balls.

What movie maybe changed your mind?

axl rose

Bench
Gran Torino taught me how men talk to one another, especially the barber scene.

The Man from Earth made me realize that I need zero action in a film to be engaged and that I must be old now.

Last edited:

Wizardman

First Grade
The movie that influenced my life the most is a movie that got no academy awards and was made way back in 1971.

Fist of Fury

I first watched this movie as a six year old. To a kid like myself, the things that Bruce Lee could do on screen was absolutely incredible. I joined a martial arts school within the next few weeks from watching that movie. That movie...

*Fostered a lifelong love of martial arts movies...particularly ones from the 70s to 90s. I rewatch old movies from Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, Van Damme, Jackie Chan, Karate Kid and many others martial arts stars to this day.

*Fostered a love of the amazing aspects of watching movies....period.

*Fostered a love of martial arts and over the last ten years or so, the UFC.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Jaws. Saw it way too young and greatly influenced my relationship with the open water in a negative way for way too long
Haha my sister too, won't go in the ocean, pools only, she never shook that off. Her children love the beach and poke fun at her.
the guy whose story that that movie is based on is a mate of a mate. Pretty crazy huh
Cried like baby, the wonders of technology do change our world.

A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Things were different in the 80s with home video and older siblings / friends siblings. Ten years old and f**ked me right over. Was terrified of sleeping, beds, dark places, basements and having a bath.

Jaws did very similar to me as mentioned above. The sea is their home. I ain’t visiting. And a film called Piranha did similar for pools and rivers.

One movie that absolutely made me though was Blazing Saddles. That and MAD magazine.

Generalzod

Immortal
Cool hand Luke one of the best movies ever made. Paul Newman's performance exceptional..."What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Superman 1 and 2 also the Richard Donner cut, Love the myth of Superman. Love the theme score the tune itself tells you, you are watching Superman. You will bow before Jorel, no matter if iut takes an enternity, You will bow before me..lol

Star Wars remember my teacher at Mascot Public school took us to watch it. I Still remember watching the opening title theme and the large cruiser ship what a scene..

Last edited:

ACTPanthers

Bench

Things were different in the 80s with home video and older siblings / friends siblings. Ten years old and f**ked me right over. Was terrified of sleeping, beds, dark places, basements and having a bath.

Jaws did very similar to me as mentioned above. The sea is their home. I ain’t visiting. And a film called Piranha did similar for pools and rivers.

One movie that absolutely made me though was Blazing Saddles. That and MAD magazine.
I was a bit younger than that and it had the complete opposite effect on me - Made me love horror movies and have been a massive Freddy fan since.

Watching the Hitcher as a teen put paid to the idea I would ever pick up a hitchhiker. Rutger Hauer was just chilling in that role.

I can't watch Robocop to this day because I saw the Murphy execution scene when I was 9. I had nightmares for weeks.

Last edited:

Generalzod

Immortal
Watching the Hitcher as a teen put paid to the idea I would ever pick up a hitchhiker. Rutger Hauer was just chilling in that role.

I can't watch Robocop to this day because I saw the Murphy execution scene when I was 9. I had nightmares for weeks.

Robocop in my opinion is a perfect movie.
A bit of trivia about Robocop the board scene when the ed209 ripped apart Kenny was was very violent so was Murphy’s execution scene, the American classification board told the director to tone down on the violence or the film would have got a an x rating. The death of Murthy's was very deliberate by the director ge wanted to portray his death to Jesus and his resurrection .

Last edited:
Such a broad question really. Similar to many above I saw movies like Jaws and Elm Street way too young. Jaws in particular...I was scared to swim in the backyard pool for a month.

Dazed and Confused unfortunately came out when I was at a very impressionable age. As such, my final years of high school were not as focused on academic pursuits as they should have been. It certainly changed my outlook on life though

Wizardman

First Grade

Mad magazine, Top Secret and Kentucky Fried Movie introduced me to the wonderful world of satire. Yes, I was a good lad and skipped the "Catholic High School Girls in Trouble"....lol.