What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What really happened: Tears and anger after Rick Stone’s Newcastle sacking

Frederick

Staff member
NRL
What really happened: Tears and anger after Rick Stone’s Newcastle sacking

7 minutes ago
Nathan RyanFOX SPORTS

DANNY Buderus almost cried when he spoke to the Newcastle playing group on Tuesday morning.

He never wanted to be put in this position.

Only 18 hours earlier Rick Stone had been sacked as coach of the Knights and Buderus appointed his interim successor.

It’s a job he never rallied for, nor was it one he wanted, but he knew the club needed him.

As Buderus came to grips with what will be his new life for the next six weeks, the playing group was left in the dark.

HOW THE PLAYERS FOUND OUT

Most of the squad learned the news of Stone’s sacking via social media. Some saw tweets from news outlets and fans, while others were tagged in Facebook posts or called by friends.

They were oblivious to what was happening until 2pm on Monday when a generic group text was sent.

It read: “Decision by the board today has been too (sic) terminate Coach Rick Stone affectively (sic) immediately. You are required to attend a meeting in the theatrette at 8.00am tomorrow to be addressed by CEO Matt Gidley. Warren.”

The Warren referred to by the text message is club football manager Warren Smiles, who has been at the club for over 10 years.

A day after the text, the players gathered in the theatrette. Stone was nowhere in sight.

Many of the players were upset Stone wasn’t given the chance to say goodbye.

They were also angry they had to learn of his axing second hand.

WHY STONE HAD TO GO

In general the group was upset that Stone lost his job but, looking at the big picture, they knew it was the right decision.

Stone had lost the locker room.

Many believe he made the ideal assistant coach because he enjoyed being everyone’s friend but his failure to make the big decisions ultimately cost him his job.

There were times throughout the year he had told players they deserved to be in the first grade side but wouldn’t be picked because he couldn’t demote a player worth $450,000 to reserve grade.

That’s where he went wrong.

With the players packing out the auditorium, chief executive Matt Gidley was the first to address the group.

He said the next six weeks will be a trial period.

CEO’S POSITION IN QUESTION

Privately a small section of the playing group were starting to question how Gidley could maintain his position.

One said: “I don’t know how you can have football players running a football club when it’s a business.”

They are also upset that the decision to sack Stone was leaked to the media before they were told.

Later, a senior player addressed the playing group, furious that Stone wasn’t able to address the playing group one last time.

He also stressed that Stone cannot be used as motivation for the remainder of the season.

He said: “The poor bloke has lost his job so we can’t start playing for him now. It’s too late.”

Once Gidley finished speaking, Buderus stepped forward.

BUDERUS’ BLUNT MESSAGE

His first act as new coach was ripping a tracking chart off the wall.

It was something introduced by Wayne Bennett.

It held the results of the season and was split into five groups.

But it’s irrelevant, Buderus told the team. He said they didn’t need their past failures on display. Everyone at the club knew what a miserable year it had been for results. They didn’t need that staring them in the face.

Buderus kept things short and to the point.

I’M NOT READY TO BE HEAD COACH

With tears in the corner of his eyes, he told the playing group he was not ready to be a head coach at this point in his career but he loved Newcastle and was prepared to do anything for the club.

He told the players he wanted them to compete. If they saw a ball on the ground, he wanted to see his men diving on it.

He asked the boys to buy into his philosophy, built on work ethic.

He told them they would focus on three T’s — Toughness, Tackle and Tomorrow.

The tomorrow reference was a view to the future.

If they could restore pride in the jersey and play for each other then that was half the battle.

He said he’d had enough of sitting in these rooms and talking. It was time to act.

BEST TRAINING SESSION OF THE YEAR

It was a passionate speech which fired up the players before they headed onto the field for their first training run post-Stone.

It was the best session they’d had all year and Buderus was leading by example.

Rather than designating drills to his assistants, he ran the drills.

He called people out during the drills for slacking.

He was defensively focused.

He emphasised the importance of pushing up on both sides of the ruck when defending.

It was all about movement off the ball.

When the ball goes left, the right side won’t be slacking off, they will be working for each other.

This was how he planned on bringing prestige back to the blue and red

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/spor...ewcastle-sacking/story-fnp0lyn3-1227461636534

slotmachine

First Grade
There were times throughout the year he had told players they deserved to be in the first grade side but wouldn’t be picked because he couldn’t demote a player worth $450,000 to reserve grade.

hahaha.

Stone was just too nice to be a first grade coach. That is how you lose your playing group. Tell a kid he can't be picked so the club does not piss off an overpaid nuffy. We all knew it.

Burwood

Bench
I wonder if Stone didnt drop players because of his own weakness, or because he had pressure from above? I don't get how he can have the courage to call out certain players in the media, but not do it when it actually came to naming the team. Add to that the leaking of Stone's sacking to the media before the players found out. There's a lot of this that doesn't make full sense to me and I still think to a degree that Midley has been trying to save his own skin by looking to be holding certain groups to account.

Joel-22

Juniors
Yep Bedsy is basically God.
My favourite player ever. Was so upset when we lost him prematurely to ESL.
In a way it's kind of fitting that his last game ended the way it did. Knocked out attempting to put one of the biggest, most aggressive players and form front rower of competition on his arse.

perverse

Referee
It's sad to read that most of what we thought the problems would be is what they did turn out as. Not dropping players because of what they're getting paid is straight up career suicide... and once the dust settles and Stone reflects on the year - I'm sure he'll see where he went wrong. Sometimes when you're too close to something, you can't see the forest for the trees.

aqua_duck

Coach
I've always been of the opinion that Stone has a depth chart he comes up with at the beginning of the year and he sticks with it for the entire season, was the same thing during his first tenure.

Apey

Staff member
Could apply to all the above really... I read it as one example of many.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/the-lurker-newcastle-knights-players-knifed-rick-stone-matt-ballin-manly-sea-eagles-wests-tigers/1ayuretgwki8u1988pb62uoolv

Forget the claims of Knights players that they had nothing to do with the sacking of coach Rick Stone - it is pure fiction.
I can report that a group of senior Knights players fronted the board recently - and their complaints about the head coach proved the final nail in Stone’s coffin.
Always quick to blame someone else when a team is going badly, the players put the Knights’ poor season squarely on Stone’s shoulders.
The group told senior board members that Stone lacked authority and had lost the confidence of the players.
That left the Knights with little choice other than to show Stone the door just 12 months into his second stint as Knights coach.
The job now appears down to two candidates - former Dragons coach Nathan Brown and Panthers lower grade coach Garth Brennan.
Both have high profile support - Brown is working under Craig Bellamy at the Storm after a stint in England and has been backed by the Melbourne coach.
And Brennan is getting a leg up from Panthers boss Phil Gould - regarded among the finest coaches of the modern era.

I dont have much faith in these gossip rags, but if this is true, its not a good sign of things to come....

If it was up to me, every one of theose players would be told to look for another club; if they can blame one coach for their own f*ckups theyll do it to the next aswell.

Swarzey

Bench
If anything it's a good sign. Stone didn't challenge the players and let mediocre talents who constantly under-performed simply walk back into the side. If I had to guess, guys like Scott, Smith and Tariq would have been the ones to approach the board; the guys who know what success is and know how a side SHOULD be ran by a coach.

Terrible wording in the third sentence as it makes it sound like those under-performing also placed the blame on Stone however, they're most likely the ones disappointed by his sacking. Plenty of players this year have had a dig and have every right to speak up if they felt Stone wasn't doing his job.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Matty Johns said it best on the Grill Team this morning. The club looks to the past to fix the future.

Paul Kent said too many players are comfortable just playing first grade.

Difficult to disagree with either comment.

Latest posts