What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What results from having idiots on boards.

Chook

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...al-football-at-parramatta-20140505-zr53s.html

He is one of Australia's most respected businessman, a Parramatta diehard prepared to lend his considerable nous to resurrecting the once proud club. But on Monday night Bill Moss was turned away.

The bloke is a financial genuis and those twits at Parra turn him away from representing a footy club he loves. :roll:

The sooner the ARLC enacts it's new funding model and boards are forced to dump idiots like the ones above who made that decision the better for clubs lilke Parra and their fans.

Chook.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
how does bunniesman's presence on league unlimited have anything to do with that?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
That is not accurate, the vote was not able to be put to the members, so whether he was wanted as an independent or not was not determined.
i think you'll find the tone of the thread is related to the decisions made by the board..

the '75% of members' refers to members of the board, not club members..

for their own political reasons, they didn't want an expert businessman to help them..

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
i think you'll find the tone of the thread is related to the decisions made by the board..

the '75% of members' refers to members of the board, not club members..

for their own political reasons, they didn't want an expert businessman to help them..

thats still not what happened at the meeting, the motion was determined to be illegal and could not be voted on, had nothing to do with what anybody wanted

it wasn't correctly worded but at the end of the day it showed our board to be fairly amateurish

High Flyers

Juniors
I don't care what they had to do to get this guy involved, its an embarrassment that we couldn't find a way to get him involved with the board. Its shows that they are all only thinking of themselves because when a candidate of this caliber comes along you find a way to get it done... but no, not at Parra.

Reminds me of the levels of geniusation involved with turning Israel Folau away...

I can't wait until the NRL changes the way they fund the clubs, hopefully then Parra will be forced to operate professionally and not like a bunch of shortsighted idiots fighting over a handbag at the boxing day sales.

Charlie124

First Grade
LOL Bitch please. Step aside, rookie.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...oardroom-blunder/story-e6freye0-1226133827198

Wayne Bennett shook hands on a deal to coach the North Queensland Cowboys in league's biggest boardroom blunder

Missed opportunity: The Dragons snatched up Wayne Bennett after the Cowboys board labelled him too old.
WAYNE Bennett has revealed he had a handshake deal to coach the North Queensland Cowboys for four seasons before he joined St George Illawarra.

In a startling interview with 2GB breakfast king Alan Jones at a private lunch on Wednesday, Bennett told a stunned gathering of businessmen how he shook hands and even planned a hit-list of new signings before the Cowboys' board rejected him for being "too old".

He ended up staying at the Broncos for another year before joining the Dragons and winning his seventh premiership.

The Cowboys rebuff will go down as one of the greatest boardroom blunders in the game's history.

It happened not long after Bennett agreed with Nick Politis to join the Sydney Roosters in 2006 on the condition the story was not leaked.

My Sunday Telegraph colleague James Hooper broke the big "Bondi Benny" story that he'd signed with the Roosters and, as threatened, the deal was off.

"They couldn't keep their mouths shut," Bennett told the audience at the Four Seasons Hotellunch.

The Dragons coach then revealed how a senior Cowboys official, who he refused to name, came to his home in Brisbane to negotiate a deal.

I've since learned it was the Cowboys CEO Peter Parr.

"We shook hands on it," Bennett said before explaining how the official had to fly back to Townsville to get final approval from the board.

The message came back a couple of days later that he was considered "past it".

Parr was so angry he handed in his resignation and stormed out of the Cowboys board meeting. Chairman Lawrence Lancini spent a week talking him into staying.

Former international forward Gorden Tallis was on the Cowboys board and was never a fan of Bennett.

They fell out not long after he retired at the Broncos.

The Cowboys eventually signed Neil Henry from the Canberra Raiders.

Jones commented to Bennett that it was a shame the interview was not being recorded for a wider audience, to which he replied: "I wouldn't be here talking if there was a tape going."

Ulysseus

Bench
What I take from that article on Bennett:

1) why the f**k was Tallis on their board?, what business acumen does he bring?
2) what an epic f**k up by the cows in general, had him and lost him within a week

BunniesMan

Immortal
This thread is dumb.

Parramatta's problems are not related to financial stuff. They begin and end with their football team. They don't need businessmen. They need people who know how to build a good team on the park. No more, no less.

gypsy

Bench
This thread is dumb.

Parramatta's problems are not related to financial stuff. They begin and end with their football team. They don't need businessmen. They need people who know how to build a good team on the park. No more, no less.

+1. Well said.

Chook

First Grade
This thread is dumb.

This thread is about why clubs fail as they are run like donkey farms instead of professional sporing clubs. As a lol @ souffs fan you should know all about that.

But hey don't take my word for it.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...uarie-bank-boss-bill-moss-20140506-zr5p2.html

A disillusioned Bill Moss believes factionalism has rendered Parramatta "dysfunctional" to the point the NRL has no choice but to step in to save the wooden spooners from themselves.

Moss, an Eels diehard and one of Australia's most respected businessman, was effectively turned away from the club on Monday night during one of the most heated annual general meetings in Parramatta Leagues Club history.

There were four special resolutions put forward on the night, the most important being for the introduction of an independent director. Former Macquarie Bank boss Moss was put forward as Parramatta chairman Steve Sharp's preference if the motion, which required 75 per cent of the members' vote, was successful. However, that ? and the other three proposed resolutions ? failed during a highly politicised meeting.
Moss was philosophical about the members' decision to oppose an eighth director, but was aghast they chose not to back a resolution seeking to bind the board to a code of conduct.

Chook.

This thread is dumb.

do you think the endless shitfights and media leaks from the board and the team getting two wooden spoons are just a coincidence?

parramatta need a united board who can work together so the team can just focus on playing without worrying about what is going on at the club

El Diablo

Post Whore
This thread is dumb.

http://global3.memecdn.com/genius-kid_o_157311.jpg

What I take from that article on Bennett:

1) why the f**k was Tallis on their board?, what business acumen does he bring?
2) what an epic f**k up by the cows in general, had him and lost him within a week

In terms of point (1), it might be he is the only one with "footy experience" on the Cowboys board?

firechild

First Grade
do you think the endless shitfights and media leaks from the board and the team getting two wooden spoons are just a coincidence?

In-fighting and media leaks aren't the whole problem, Manly was rife with these kind of things through the last 2 GF appearances. The problem is that the self interest on the board at Parramatta is at the expense of what is best for the club. In-fighting at board level is not uncommon, rugby league boards certainly aren't unique in this regard.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
I've got a question that i hope someone can answer.

Are all, or most, NRL teams run by their Leagues Club Boards? Or are most run by the Football Club Boards?? I've been wondering about this.

Gustavo

Juniors
These dinosaurs are ridiculous. Self interest kills sporting organisations, and it is painful to watch.

Am i correct, from what i read, that the Leagues club and Football club are not separate at Parra?

Chook

First Grade
I've got a question that i hope someone can answer.

Are all, or most, NRL teams run by their Leagues Club Boards? Or are most run by the Football Club Boards?? I've been wondering about this.

Depends on the club. Some have one board that overseas all aspects of both football and leagues club operations, some have overlap between the boards, meaning some people serve on both the Leagues Club and Football Club boards. I know at the Roosters we have separate boards with the Easts Leagues club board populated by voting members but we have a closed shop Football Club board meaning you only get on it via invitation from the Chairman.

Chook.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I'm sick of this attitude of we need people on the board who can win footy games

Its a joke

Does Telstra board have people who can fix phone lines ? Or smart business people who can make decisions ???