What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What sort of "headline" is this ? Cheating Kiwis may boycott.

MKEB...

Staff member
Whoever wins this tournament will have a sour taste left in there mouth after this whole incident.

This years Tri nations now has the same emptiness for me as the 95 world cup where aussie only sent over an all ARL side instead of including super league players as well.

Bennett has got to go, first his politcal mud-slinging at Eric Watson over Warriors ownership, and now this Fiasco. He seems like he is on a kill-crazy rampage on destroying NZ Rugby league integrity.

I suggest Hang draw and courting.

JJ

Immortal
mad kiwi elloco bandido said:
This years Tri nations now has the same emptiness for me as the 95 world cup where aussie only sent over an all ARL side instead of including super league players as well.

sorry mate, but why did the world cup leave you feeling empty (as a kiwi)??

they beat us, are you saying we'd have had a better chance if the Super League players had bene there? :sarcasm:

For the record I agree with what the ARL did then, and I find Bennett laughable, and embarrassing

MKEB...

Staff member
JJ said:
sorry mate, but why did the world cup leave you feeling empty (as a kiwi)??

they beat us, are you saying we'd have had a better chance if the Super League players had bene there? :sarcasm:

Even if they did whop us with a full team, it is better to be whopped by a full strength team than to be beaten in extra time from half of the better players available.
in my opinion, what is a world cup without the best players there?

MKEB...

Staff member
Azkatro said:
You don't mean quartered? Or do you think he's got a nice arse? :lol:

Oops... I have always misheard the word as courted.

BTW have you seen his arse? Looks kind of like the north side of a south bound bus. :lol:

Nook

Bench
Selwyn strikes again, eh?

An utter farce. At the very least Fien - at worst the entire NZRL top down including the Kiwis - have conspired to cheat in a major competition. What a joke. Mascord is spot on as usual.

Bennet has to go. He dribbles crap every year, non stop. About the eligibility of guys to play for Australia, about test status for games where they can't prodcue a full team, about how hard up they are against the ARL. The bottom line is that the leadership of the NZRL is incompetent - utterly, completely - and they have no-one else to blame for any of this sh*t than themselves.

What makes it worse is that this moron is now trying to lie to everyone and say that the rules allow it. And prancing about saying they'll boycott the competition if they get punished.

If the NZRL was complicit in this, never mind about boycotts. They should be thrown out of this years competition.

I'm embarrassed on behalf of NZ and every person who slogs their guts out to get RL firing over there.

ozbash

Referee
MEDIA RELEASE

Immediate Release

31 October 2006 – Auckland, New Zealand

A meeting of the Rugby League International Federation’s Executive Committee was held via phone conference at 10.30am today (NZT).

After discussion and at the request of the New Zealand Rugby League, it was agreed that the New Zealand Rugby League would provide a written submission to the committee by 5.00pm (NZT) Wednesday 1 November.

It is proposed that the Executive Committee and the Tri-Nations Sub-Committee consider this submission and reconvenes at 10.30am (NZT) Thursday 2 November to determine the eligibility of Nathan Fien, and if it is determined that he is and was ineligible any possible consequences that may flow from that decision.

No further statement will be made until this matter has been resolved.

Peter Cordtz - NZRL

ENDS

ozbash

Referee
linny said:
Mate i've been astonished at the huge overreaction... Why ruin a great series over already murky eligibility rules...... just get on with the footy...

thats burying your head in the sand, its got to be sorted or this comp (and the rest, w/cup,ANZACS etc) have no credibility.

the ultimate for me is when a NZ team plays aussie, sometimes we win, sometimes not. its always a great competition and the sh*t invariably flies.

to win by cheating just isnt in the equation. i,d rather take up line dancing.

lockyno1

Post Whore
ozbash said:
to win by cheating just isnt in the equation. i,d rather take up line dancing.

Well said ozbash, and I don't agree with you a lot but that is well said. If it was Australia i'd feel the same way IMO.

cookie36

Juniors
So is this the second time that the kiwis have been caught cheating at an organisational level in Rugby League. Didnt they change the size of the field to be narrower than regulation to help them a couple of years ago? Concentrate on playing and they may win a few.

MKEB...

Staff member
cookie36 said:
So is this the second time that the kiwis have been caught cheating at an organisational level in Rugby League. Didnt they change the size of the field to be narrower than regulation to help them a couple of years ago? Concentrate on playing and they may win a few.

Mate, you make it sound like we are the Pakistan of Rugby League.
Come on all teams try and get away with what they can. Aussie are no different. Look at the amount of suspensions that Kiwis happen to have got before tests in years gone past...

I am not trying to stick up for us, as this is a disgrace. And thanks to these idiots in charge of things, the sport in NZ will take a big hit.
We hardly ever get any positive league spin in media as it is, and this worsens it for us.

ocko

juniors
let them boycott if they want. they shouldn't able to blackmail their way out of it.

series should then be turned into a 3 match aus-gb series.

griff

Bench
cookie36 said:

The ground was within the regulations, it just happened to be narrower than most grounds in the NRL.

This on the other hand is a disgrace and needs to be dealth with asap. I don't think Fien is blameless in all of this either.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
I really feel sorry for you Kiwi fans, but I cannot see any way out of this but for NZ to be docked the points. The review commission cannot, and must not, allow a precedent to be set whereby distant lineage is a factor in the eligibility rules - it'd be far too damaging to the international game in the long run.

Using the NZRL's interpretation of the eligibility rules, too many players gain the ability to play for more than one country, and that allows an element of cynical opportunism to enter player decisions fundamentally at odds with the spirit of the international game. The example I've used previously is of Cameron Smith and Danny Buderus. Only one of them is going to be able to make the Australian team next year - if Fien's selection is approved, the loser of their personal contest would then be able to declare himself available for Great Britain. A future Andrew Johns could decide to play for Great Britain instead of Australia because he dislikes the Australian coach, or because he's being offered more money by the British team. Do we really want the international competition to be dominated by cash or such petty spite?

NZ has to suffer some kind of penalty for Fien's selection to prevent that sort of thing ever coming to pass, and the penalty has got to outweigh any possible benefit that a given team could EVER have from illegally recruiting a player in such a manner. Hence, loss of competition points.

griff

Bench
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/417227/865260

Mt Isa-born Fien qualifies via a Wellington-born grandmother, with New Zealand coach Brian McClennan admitting even he was surprised when approached by the 27-year-old three months ago declaring his allegiance to the Kiwis.

"He got hold of me and let me know that his nana's a Kiwi and it just all went from there," McClennan recalled.

"I think he told a couple of the boys in (the Warriors side), he'd just walk past and say, `my nan's a Kiwi, was born in New Zealand' and we just went, `oh yeah - okay then'.

"Then he kept saying it more and more."

His persistence finally paid off with Fien called into the squad to replace injured hooker Dene Halatau for the second match of the Tri-Nations tournament.

Looks to me like Fien set out to deceive the NZRL from the start. Wouldn't surprise me if the NZRL asked for proof, he gave them his great grandma's birth certificate and presented as being his grandmother's. The NZRL wouldn't have bothered to check his parents birth certificate and his birth certificate.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Azkatro said:
You don't mean quartered? Or do you think he's got a nice arse? :lol:

Classic! :lol::lol::lol:

Look, dock the bloody points, and all of a sudden Wellington's test will be a corker!

ONe has to wonder about the brains involved in Kiwi league. Auckland got docked points not long after they started, the Warriors got docked points, and now possibly the national side.

Maybe we can dock Queensland points for every origin they won with Carroll, Thorn and cutie!!!!! (not to mention Lam, Inglis...)

adamkungl

Immortal
lol this whole situation is pathetic, serves them right. Its amazing to think that the Kiwi's on-field stupidity (by which i mean the high tackle in the last minute of game 2, and the pathetic start to the second half against the poms) is actually exceeded by their off-field ineptitude. Boycotting seems a reasonable excuse to escape from the whitewash that will be this series.

Nevcost

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
Classic! :lol::lol::lol:

Look, dock the bloody points, and all of a sudden Wellington's test will be a corker!

ONe has to wonder about the brains involved in Kiwi league. Auckland got docked points not long after they started, the Warriors got docked points, and now possibly the national side.

Maybe we can dock Queensland points for every origin they won with Carroll, Thorn and cutie!!!!! (not to mention Lam, Inglis...)

Thorn Hunt and Carroll played their first football in Queensland. Unlike New Zealand, Queensland doesn't need handouts.