What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What team will improve from 2004?

parra_princess

Juniors
The Way I See It said:
Parra are chokers and the coach is too predictable.

How can you call a team with a different line up never tried or seen before 'predictable'.

Eels and Warriors to improve but don't expect them to set the world on fire in the first few rounds.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Innsaneink,

Please post a copy of last seasons NRL Table and point out what position on the ladder did the NZ Warriors sit? Much obliged ;)

NZ had the same amount of competition points as Souths (16), granted, though they had a better points difference and "secured" 14th ( :lol: ) position which is what I stated in my post.

Cheers

Dragon_psa

First Grade
The Warriors, Parra, Tigers, and Saints to be the biggest improvers this year. The Raiders would IMO be a dark horse. I do tend to agree with eelavation as to this year being potentially the most even yet.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
thanks for the kiss of death shirt-lifter!

Since when is picking us to be big improvers the "kiss of death"??? You're not that superstitious are ya?

And coming from someone with a picture of Zippy the shirtlifter comment is rather pot and kettle-ish (have you seen the SCRIPTS from that show????)

innsaneink

Referee
Broncodroid said:
Innsaneink,

Please post a copy of last seasons NRL Table and point out what position on the ladder did the NZ Warriors sit? Much obliged ;)

NZ had the same amount of competition points as Souths (16), granted, though they had a better points difference and "secured" 14th ( :lol: ) position which is what I stated in my post.

Cheers

No need for formalities, call me ink.

IMO, a team that loses 18 games should be lower on the table than a team that loses 17, regardless of draws, comp points and differentials.

Souths 5 wins and 2 draws = 7 occasions unbeaten
Warriors 6 wins and 0 draws= 6 occasions unbeaten

I think Souths results were better than the Warriors (not including F/A) particularly when you look at how draws come about in todays golden point environment.

IMO.

dodge said:
It's a scary thought but I can see our Doggies improving. Some of the training they've been doing and opinion gathered from it only suggests a bigger and better Bulldogs to go back 2 back for 2005.

Other improvers - Parra, Saints, Warriors & Manly.

Having O'Meley and Mason out early could benefit the Dogs more then people think too.

The Warriors will be the improvers in 2005. Wiki and Price will add what Cleary and Campion used to. Jones needs to get his old enthusiam back and if he does they will be a premiership threat.

Canberra for mine are the side that could fall the most and I think are value at there quote of $21.00 for the spoon.

Souths will improve but not enough to get away from 15th or 14th spot.

Wests Tigers will be around the same as this season.

Parramatta have bought in good players but good players do not necessarily a good team make.

Iafeta

Referee
Tommy Smith said:
I believe there will be a number of improvers next year which bodes well for an exciting season.

The Warriors have the potential to be the biggest improvers on the basis that they were the biggest underachievers...in other words we all know they have the talent to turn it on especially with the new additions to their forward pack. You can never underestimate what the addition of one experienced, hard-head can do to a team. And the Warriors have gone out and bought two of the best in the business in that regard. Wiki and Price will lead the way very well with the likes of Iafeta Palaeasomething, Villasanti and Faumina making up a skillful and powerful pack. Latu and the young Andseron fella who looks the goods will also provide alot out of dummy half which they seriously lacked last year. Obviously alot will come down to the halves for the Warriors. Jones needs to stay fit and regain the form of 2002 because i dont rate Leuluai. If he does then i wouldnt be surprised to see the Warriors make the GF. Toddy Byrne will help provide the attacking edge they need as well. :p :lol:

Parra have the potential to improve a hell of a lot as well. They bought really well (FOR ONCE!) and have the potential to make the top 6. The only question mark is over their halves. They bought enough hookers over the off-season to open a brothel, but didn't invest in a seasoned half back. So while i've no doubt they will improve, their level of improvement will depend on how the no.7, and 6 for that matter, perform for them. Unless you've got Reg Gasnier there's no good going out and buying centres/wingers (Tahu) if they aren't going to get quality ball.

It goes without saying that the Knights will improve if Joey stays fit. With him they can win the comp but i dont think that's a big secret to many (although it would appear that not too many on here rate the Knights at all for this year). Manly may also surprise a few this year. If they add some consistency to their game and turn up committed to play every week instead of every second week, then they will go close to making the 8. The Sharks as usual are abit of an enigma. They are an outside chance to make the 8 although they are just as likely to finish as wooden spooners.

I dont see any of the other non-top 8 sides making big strides this year.

Thomas Leuluai is with the London Broncos now.

Iafeta

Referee
innsaneink said:
Broncodroid said:
Innsaneink,

Cheers

No need for formalities, call me ink.

IMO, a team that loses 18 games should be lower on the table than a team that loses 17, regardless of draws, comp points and differentials.

Souths 5 wins and 2 draws = 7 occasions unbeaten
Warriors 6 wins and 0 draws= 6 occasions unbeaten

I think Souths results were better than the Warriors (not including F/A) particularly when you look at how draws come about in todays golden point environment.

IMO.

If you want to do parralel equations and ven diagrams and science experiments to come up with a theory on how the Warriors were equal last (they were 14th), then one could also argue the new invention that changes largely the result of a draw - golden point. For my thinking, the regular season is over 80 minute games, the Warriors lost 2 of theirs, the Bunnies drew 1 and won 1. If say the season was 2002, effectively the Warriors are an extra 2 points up, the Bunnies 3 points down.

Either way, the table says 14th Warriors, 15th Rabbitohs.

Iafeta

Referee
innsaneink said:
:lol: :lol:

and the table also says

___Losses___

Warriors.. 18
Souths.... 17

I don't think thats how the NRL decide who gets what place etc.

OH, thats right, they use the old tried and true method of points, and then for and against as opposed to the clutch at straws method to find a way to suit yourself. Damn, what a shame.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Iafeta said:
innsaneink said:

and the table also says

___Losses___

Warriors.. 18
Souths.... 17

OH, thats right, they use the old tried and true method of points, and then for and against as opposed to the clutch at straws method to find a way to suit yourself. Damn, what a shame.

Innsano does make a solid point thou
the warriors lost more games last year than souths, thats pretty hard to achieve... yet souths linger below the warriors :?

HevyDevy

Coach
The Warriors, Parramatta and manly for the exact reasons outlined by Tommy Smith (well done sir)

Warriors have too much class to stay where they are given their lack of experience has now been addressed

Parramatta have recruited well and although it will take a while to gel with so many new faces I see them finishing somewhere between 4th and 8th.

Manly were among the most exciting sides to watch last year and will be again in 2005. They are very difficult to contain and if the arrival of BK and Kite plus having the likes of Chad Randall fit again can help stiffen up their defence they'll be a real smokey.

Other than that Cronulla possible with Dykes and Kimmorley in the halves. That depends on fitness obviously. I think the return of Paul Mellor is a huge bonus for them and he is the perfect centre to run off Dykes given the way he likes to play.

And Newcastle will obviously improve if Joey stays healthy.

To head south - Roosters marginally, Brisbane, Canberra, Wests Tigers.

South Sydney for the spoon yet again

ByRd

First Grade
Southern rooster, im interested to know what you mean by when you say having O'Meley & Mason out early could benefit the dogs (not starting an argument, just interested to know what you mean).

I think that this might help us because opposition teams might underestimate us & it will also give our young juniours a chance early on to gain some vital experience which could be a very good should injuries strike or loss of form happen. It will help develop our depth & help for future years.

nqboy

First Grade
dog4life said:
Southern rooster, im interested to know what you mean by when you say having O'Meley & Mason out early could benefit the dogs (not starting an argument, just interested to know what you mean).

I think that this might help us because opposition teams might underestimate us & it will also give our young juniours a chance early on to gain some vital experience which could be a very good should injuries strike or loss of form happen. It will help develop our depth & help for future years.

And what a boost having those two come into the team a few round in would be. And they might be a bit fresher at the business end too.

Iafeta

Referee
Raider_69 said:
Iafeta said:
innsaneink said:

and the table also says

___Losses___

Warriors.. 18
Souths.... 17

Innsano does make a solid point thou
the warriors lost more games last year than souths, thats pretty hard to achieve... yet souths linger below the warriors :?

What he fails to tell you though in his clutching at straws mascarade is the Warriors won more games than Souths.

The Warriors were sh!thouse last year, but that theory on equal last is the equivalent of clutching at straws.

The coaching of Brian Smith is predictable.
Why does all there rising stars leave,i bet its because smith saids who gets it next and if you don't follow his rules then your benched.
[/quote]