What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the hell is lawrence doing out there?

He has cost us here. I admire his bravery but there's not much point in having him out there if he can't tackle. Honestly, he has conceded about 4 linebreaks on his own.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Hopefully he will be more confident next week because we can't carry that sh*t against the dragons

R2Coupe

Juniors
Confidence and timing. He'll be back next week. Better for the game.

Ayshford has stepped up and you have to think if there is a smokey for a Kangaroo jersey, he may be it.

Perth Tiger

Bench
He was very average in defence but will be better for the run and I expected a better performance next time

I agree Lawrence timing was out with a couple of costly errors that may have had something do with his confidence but whats Lui's excuse,in one set he missed 3 in a row.

I should have prefaced my first original post by acknowledging that Lawrence is an excellent defensive centre, however it was apparent to everybody tonight that he was anxious to avoid contact. We were carrying Fitzy on the bench as a backup for Lawrence and he should have been introduced into the game at halftime.

Lawrence is a great defensive centre normally. He appeared gun shy for mine especially in the 1st half. He made a brave come-back but seiously I would have him do some very heavy contact drills at training this week to get his confidence back.

Lawrence,Lote and Ellis on the left hand side attack could cause the Dragons massive problems especially since they hide Soward on that wing and Gasiner has never been a great defender. I think we will win next week by attacking that side of the field.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Just on the Lui comments - I suppose all those crucial one on one tackles he made late in the second half when we were defending our line with a slim lead were atrocious.....

As for Lawrence, a poor game defensively but was also let down once or twice by his inside man (Galloway on one occassion). Will be better for the run. As for avoiding contact, he put on a few big hits so I don't think that was the case, just more he didn't have his legs.

ucantseeme

Juniors
Lui definately has to do more defensively next week. Either hide on the wing in defense or put on the head gear and do what Alan Tongue does.

macnaz

Staff member
Hawk.. Overall Lui's defence IS atrocious. Yes he does make some good tackles but i lost count of all the missed ones... So many times he gets knocked aside and comes back to finnish the tackle after someone else has stopped him, thus id imagine his miss tackle stats would show less than he actualy misses. Also he is so slow to react to a break getting made he is never there to make the tackle. Needs to improve on a major scale.

Stagger eel

Staff member
he's a classic spot defender isn't he? I think Tim Smith is a better defender than Lui.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
I don't think he's sensational but geez I thought he saved a good two tries late in that game but getting up strong on much bigger blokes - considering we won by 2 points that's pretty crucial IMO.

He's a long way to go but he is clearly improving, not just defensively but overall. All you can ask for really.

Lawrence is far from a great defensive centre. His defence is well below average.

1) He was playing with a broken jaw last night.

2) Disregard his performances earlier in his career and look at anything over the past two years and you might have to change your opinion. He went from being a liability to one of our strongest defenders, behind only Ellis and Gibbs. Last night was an aberration and I put it entirely down to his injury and lack of match fitness.

Latest posts