What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What were the Round 1 crowds?

RABK

Referee
Tigers vs Dragons was the big dissapointment.

How many are they predicting for this friday night?

Should definitely get 25k+ for this Friday night's game alone...30+ would nto surprise me in the slightest...at least - not before Marshall got injured.

A few groupies/bandwagoners may drop off now..but who wants them round anyway?! :p

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
WES v STG @ Telstra 27.865
NEW v PAR @ EnergyAust 26,198
BUL v PEN @ Telstra 17,510
MAN v CAN @ Brookvale 17,135
NZW v MEL @ Ericsson 10,035
SOU v SYD @ Telstra 16,741
BRI v NQL @ Suncorp 46,229

TOTAL: 161,713
Per Match Average: 23,101
2006 Aggregate: 161,713
2006 Match Average: 23,101

Paullyboy

Coach
what is it with you sydney-siders and not knowing how to support the bloody game? Obviously the diehards on this forum go to the games, but outside of that there is just nothing.

How you could get such a piss poor crowd for the season opener between dragons and tigers is beyond me. Rugby League's home is definately in Queensland nowadays, Sydney appears to just be another whatever sports trendy city.

Eddie.

Bench
Paullyboy said:
what is it with you sydney-siders and not knowing how to support the bloody game? Obviously the diehards on this forum go to the games, but outside of that there is just nothing.

How you could get such a piss poor crowd for the season opener between dragons and tigers is beyond me. Rugby League's home is definately in Queensland nowadays, Sydney appears to just be another whatever sports trendy city.

I think thats the Wests Tigers 2nd biggest home crowd in its history.

Although it was below expectation, i would hardly call it piss poor.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
27,865? Piss poor? Given it's covered on TV throughout the state I find it a reasonable crowd.

RL's home in QLD? I think you'll find because they're not exactly spoilt for choice is one of the reasons they pack it out. There are a maximum of 14 RL Matches including SOO out of that ground each year, as opposed to an aggregate of about 80 games throughout the Sydney basin at different grounds over the year. Yes, as a season opener it should've drawn more, but I think the TV ratings will tell the story.

Alba

Coach
i was disappointed at the 17 odd thousand but was glad to see more souths than roosters .. not because i wanted the majority of the support but its good to see people gettin to homebush .. lets hope they do it every home game

Paullyboy

Coach
Thats just the point though Eddie - a subpar crowd is celebrated and talked up as 'that club's 2nd highest ever' or some crap instead of looking at the glaringly obvious stadium which was just over quarter full.

Then add the fact that Sydney has over triple the population of Brisbane and you realise that, unfortunately, Sydney can no longer truely call itself a rugby league city. Its got a lot of supporters, but you put 3 million people together anywhere and you'll find a lot of supporters of lots of things. If it wasnt for QLD, rugby league would be pretty much dead.

flamin

Juniors
Seriously the only reason I can see why a fantastic game of footy held in a world-class venue played by 2 hugely supported teams in the first match of the NRL season in a city with a population of 4 million would not get 80 000 fans is "rugby league games just don't get that much".

c_eagle

Juniors
Paullyboy said:
Thats just the point though Eddie - a subpar crowd is celebrated and talked up as 'that club's 2nd highest ever' or some crap instead of looking at the glaringly obvious stadium which was just over quarter full.

Then add the fact that Sydney has over triple the population of Brisbane and you realise that, unfortunately, Sydney can no longer truely call itself a rugby league city. Its got a lot of supporters, but you put 3 million people together anywhere and you'll find a lot of supporters of lots of things. If it wasnt for QLD, rugby league would be pretty much dead.
LOL! Talk about sensationalism. Queensland only has, on average, 1 game per week. Sydney has 9 teams to support. Ffs, lets keep it real. The 9 teams in Sydney average almost 16k, btw. 9 x 16k is 144k. Not too bad if you ask me.

t-ba

Post Whore
Paullyboy said:

B*llsh*t.

Greater Sydney has about 4.3m people. Bounded by the Hawkebury, the Macarthur and the RNP

The BBC LGA alone has 1.7m alone. Include Ipswich, Pine Rivers, Logan, Redland Bay, Caboolture & Redcliffe LGA's and you get about 2.3m people.

That'd be like Greater Sydney having TWO teams without a team in the Illawarra or the Hunter...

30,000 is p*ssweak average for a City of Brisbane's size that is apparently RL mad...

Get with the Program. Brisbane gave up pretending it was a big country town well over a decade ago...