What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Would a Premiership Mean to You

King-Gutho94

Coach
Going off topic off the match i am interested to see what winning a premiership would mean to the Parra fans on here.

The journey to get this point.

Now obviously winning on Sunday won't change your everyday life too much the bills will still have to paid, work won't change, mortgages wont disappear.

But for me it would mean the world it allow at least for myself to strut around as a champion when out and about as a Parra fan. No more 1986 jokes or jokes I have never been alive for a Parramatta premiership. And that the past 23 years for myself supporting the Eels has been worth it.

It would be a special moment to witness my first one on Sunday and be an experience and moment I have been waiting my whole life for.

Having supported the Eels since i was 5 years old when my Nan bought me a season ticket in 1999 and going to all the home games i was capable of going too from that season. My first game i remember going too was the opening of the Olympic stadium in 1999 against the Dragons sitting up high behind the goal posts where over 100k fans were at. It would was a remarkable night. I had my blue Eels jersey on and was Eel for life.

2001 arrived and just thought gee how easy is this we are flogging teams every week what is so hard about supporting the Eels. Went to the 2001 GF and my memory from being just 7 years old was shock but i don't recall crying that night. I remember the train home with my Brother, Mum, Dad, Nan and was staring in the darkness outside thinking oh well its just one game we were so dominant we would be back here next year and win it. The two sayings I heard were "there is always next year and you have to lose a GF to win a GF" was sprouted. Little did i know that night that 21 years later i am still waiting.

2005 was similar to 2001 we were back to flogging to sides and there was a moment i will never forget in Round 26 against Brisbane at Parra Stadium on the Friday night to win the Minor Premiership. The Primary School i went too the League team won the PSSA competition that year and got invited to run out with the players. I couldn't play RL due to a heart condition but the 2 teachers involved knew my love and passion for the Eels they invited to run out with the players that night. It was incredible running onto the field with John Morris to hear the roar of the Eels it was a childhood dream.

Unfortunately 3 weeks later we choked against the cowboys and is the only game i recall leaving early with 15 mins to go as my parents were in absolute disgust of another big game capitulation.

2007 - Mum took me down to Melbourne to watch Preliminary Final defeat. We tried hard that day but simply the cheats were too strong and was one of the few dignified finals exits we have had. But looking back its reinforced to me what it meant to being an Eels fan that i even made the journey to Melbourne as a 13 year old hoping we made a GF.

2009 - A wild ride where i was more concerned about the Spoon until July then within two weeks we went from near the Spoon to finals smokies. And what a ride it was. It was probably the most fun being a Parra fan from being mocked by Dragons fans at school after getting beat 37-0 to giving it back the following week. Then experiencing the best atmosphere at Homebush in a pulsating Prelim final against the Dogs. It was hard to believe we made the GF. The following week was disappointing and heartbreaking but the ride we had as a fan i will never forget.

2010-2016, 2018 - Moments through this period were tough. From wooden spoons to Salary Cap scandals it was hard. There were periods i thought we would were struggling to win a game let alone make finals and make a GF again. And just moments where you go why do i bother with this. But the addiction of every game gets you through no matter how good or bad we are going.

2017-2021 - The Finals exits have been disappointing and frustrating but being perennial finalists have made us relevant again and give me this over the misery of 2010-2016 & 2018.

So we reach Sunday we are in another GF and hopefully after 23 years for myself and 36 years for some the pain ends. It's been a long journey but hopefully come 9:30pm on Sunday it would be worth the wait.

Go you Mighty Eels and lets bring home our 5th & the hardest fought Premiership.

Gronk

Staff member
Not going to lie, I am a battle hardened Eels supporter and I have learnt the hard way not to get my hopes up. I start each match not expecting miracles and merely looking forward to the possibility of being pleasantly surprised.

It would be surreal to win the comp, cos it would be so unexpected. I reckon we have a 20% chance to grab the trophy and using a golf analogy; the Pennys are teeing off in the final round 6 shots in the lead. We will need to have the round of our lives to win and they will need to shit their pants to lose.

It's f**king hard to win the comp, because you can be perfectly prepared, injury free and execute the game plan however that amounts to little if the team you're playing are just better at it than you.

It's our turn Footy Gods FFS.
fist.gif

eel01s

Bench
I think it is time the footy gods smiled down on us. After all the emotions and hard times supporting this club since 1975, and seeing other clubs break long standing droughts to win premierships, it feels like this is our time.

Yes, we go in as underdogs, and deservedly so, but I really think the team us ready to play the game of their lives and win it.

For me personally it would be a massive relief, knowing the Eels would finally shake the stigma of being chokers or not really up to being in the really big games.

the phantom menace

First Grade
I'll tell you on Sunday night/Monday - not getting ahead of myself yet...

We are and should be the underdogs, and even if we aren't then the lessons of 2001 and 2005 would still lead me not to imagine a win yet.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I honestly reckon its 50/50. Im confidently nervous.
Our Eels are much more than a footy team to us. They are the background music to my life. Never far from my thoughts for the past 59 seasons. My grandchildren all know their Poppys favourite colour is Green but they no not why. My wedding was planned around the 1977 GF. My sons first Teddy Bear was named Pricey in 1982. Blue and Gold has a presence in most things in my life. Mum and then Dads caskets were adorned with blue and gold flowers and ribbons.
And some say "its just a game".
Go Parra!

WestCoastEel!

Juniors
Personally it would mean the absolute world. I grew up around the 80's success when I lived in Sydney and would always travel from Frenches Forest to Parra to watch games. Having moved to Perth in 1990 and not getting the opportunity to go to many games throughout the years have made me feel a bit isolated/an outsider compared to all of you who are able to go to games regularly, however it would mean everything if we were able to win!

As others have said i'm not getting my hopes up however win or lose I just hope we don't leave anything out on the field. We match up well against the Panthers and I think out of all the teams in the comp they fear us the most.

Either way there will be tears, hopefully tears of joy!

Let's go Parra!!

King-Gutho94

Coach
I think it is time the footy gods smiled down on us. After all the emotions and hard times supporting this club since 1975, and seeing other clubs break long standing droughts to win premierships, it feels like this is our time.

Yes, we go in as underdogs, and deservedly so, but I really think the team us ready to play the game of their lives and win it.

For me personally it would be a massive relief, knowing the Eels would finally shake the stigma of being chokers or not really up to being in the really big games.
That's the thing i get a bit jealous as we have seen in the NRL - Dragons, Souths, Cowboys & Cronulla all break long premiership droughts in there 1st GF attempt they played in since we played in our 2009 loss.

Also in the AFL - Western Bulldogs, Richmond, Melbourne have broken long premiership droughts when they got a crack at GF.

Bulldogs & Demons were 55 year plus droughts.
Richmond were 37 years.

It seems if you look at both winter footy codes only Parramatta & St Kilda are the 2 clubs from the footy codes who haven't won a thing since 1990s started.

Hoping we end that on Sunday night.

Its our time we are due.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
What would it mean to me… excellent question. Perhaps justification for all the support over the years. I was 5 when we won our last premiership. I’m from Qld and the BRL was all the rage where I grew up. My two teams were Brothers and Parramatta. Every kid here had “a Sydney team”.

I was 17 at the 1998 GF. I had tickets and was dancing around the living room watching the qualifier vs the Dogs, shouting “we’re going to Sydney, we’re going to Sydney…”. My aunt knew the full time score from the radio (Channel 9 has those games on delay back then). She didn’t have the heart to tell me about Halligan’s heroics before they unfolded.

The years that followed were hard. Losses to Melbourne… NQ. I was playing rugby in Scotland in 2001. Watched it on tv of course and turned it off the second the whistle blew for full time and pretended it never happened.

2009 I was working in Mt Isa so it was way too far to travel for the game. While I was disappointed, I felt like Melbourne were always going to win. Finding out they’d rorted the cap left an even more bitter taste.

Of course all of those spoon years and watching players that simply weren’t really NRL quality. I forced myself to watch each and every game, all the way until full time. I told myself it’ll make me even more appreciative when we are competitive again.

Now we are in the big dance. I leave for Parramatta tomorrow. I honestly feel somewhat vindicated… justified in supporting this great club. It’s no doubt caused a lot of pain and suffering over the years but I wouldn’t swap it. It just means the next premiership will be even sweeter. Let’s hope that is Sunday.

Up Parra!

Last edited:

King-Gutho94

Coach
What would it mean to me… excellent question. Perhaps justification for all the support over the years. I was 5 when we won our last premiership. I’m from Qld and the BRL was all the rage where I grew up. My two teams were Brothers and Parramatta. Every kid here had “a Sydney team”.

I was 17 at the 1998 GF. I had tickets and was dancing around the living room shouting “we’re going to Sydney, we’re going to Sydney…”. My aunt knew the full time score from the radio (Channel 9 has those games on delay back then). She didn’t have the heart to tell me about Halligan’s heroics before they unfolded.

The years that followed were hard. Losses to Melbourne… NQ. I was playing rugby in Scotland in 2001. Watched it on tv of course and turned it off the second the whistle blew for full time and pretended it never happened.

2009 I was working in Mt Isa so it was way too far to travel for the game. While I was disappointed, I felt like Melbourne were always going to win. Finding out they’d rorted the cap left an even more bitter taste.

Of course all of those spoon years and watching players that simply weren’t really NRL quality. I forced myself to watch each and every game, all the way until full time. I told myself it’ll make me even more appreciative when we are competitive again.

Now we are in the big dance. I leave for Parramatta tomorrow. I honestly feel somewhat vindicated… justified in supporting this great club. It’s no doubt caused a lot of pain and suffering over the years but I wouldn’t swap it. It just means the next premiership will be even sweeter. Let’s hope that Sunday.

Up Parra!
Good stuff Brisbane Brothers won in 1987 the last BRL premiership beating the Redcliffe Dolphins 26-8 before the Broncos came in and the whole squad left to go the NSWRL comp.

Tony Rea, Mark Coyne, Joe Kilroy they had a good squad. Deserved winners that year.

DaveMc

Juniors
Good stuff Brisbane Brothers won in 1987 the last BRL premiership beating the Redcliffe Dolphins 26-8 before the Broncos came in and the whole squad left to go the NSWRL comp.

Tony Rea, Mark Coyne, Joe Kilroy they had a good squad. Deserved winners that year.
There was a really great doco released about the history of Brothers, with a big focus on the 1987 premiership, recently. I highly recommend it.

edit: DVD should be available here https://www.brotherscloseandfar.com.au/shop

The Colonel

Immortal
What would it mean?

Words can’t really describe exactly what it will mean. It’s a pain I have carried for a long time. I am tired of the jokes both at my expense and about MY club and great players who have done so much for our great club. We have come so close only to be left disappointed time and again for various reasons.

In 1986, as a thirteen year old, I and my club were on top of the heap. That feeling was f**king unbelievable. I want to taste it, if only for a little while, again.

hindy111

Post Whore
What would it mean?

Words can’t really describe exactly what it will mean. It’s a pain I have carried for a long time. I am tired of the jokes both at my expense and about MY club and great players who have done so much for our great club. We have come so close only to be left disappointed time and again for various reasons.

In 1986, as a thirteen year old, I and my club were on top of the heap. That feeling was f**king unbelievable. I want to taste it, if only for a little while, again.

You're not that old.

It will be nice to win but overall I think I enjoy watching g juniors come through the grades and develop just as much like D.Brown and Penisini. Might sound boring but I find it interesting and engaging.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
It would mean so much winning on Sunday.

I was only a 1 year old when they last won in 1986, there's a photo of me dressed in a jersey looking a little confused. It wasnt until I was maybe 5-6 I started to get into the Eels and at the time Sterlo and Kenny were still playing. Sterlo didnt play many games around the early 90s but Kenny was the captain and had a hand in some good wins, especially when they upset the Broncos at their old ground, QE2 stadium.

Around about that time my cousin who's massive Parra fan, showed me highlights of old Grand Finals and finals matches, 81, 82, 83, 85, and 86. I thought wow, Parra were so good back then but arent doing good now. Kenny and Sterlo retired and no one from the 86 side was still playing. They had struggled to make the finals

I stuck with the Eels since then no matter where they were on the ladder.

There's been some good years in the late 90s and early 2000s but just had so many missed opportunities.

Even through the dark times of coaches changing, wooden spoons, salary cap drama, I still stuck with them, knowing it would turn it around.

Ive been loyal to this club since I was a kid, Ive had so many great memories, even though I cant remember their last premiership win.

I want to actually want to remember a premiership win and share it amongst the people I love.

Its a strange feeling this week, compared to 2001 when I was super excited, 2009 they had a great run towards the GF after they were well outside the top 8 during the year. I'm a little nervous, not very confident, but looking forward to it.

If it infact we're in front, the clock is counting down then the siren goes, I dont know how I would react to be honest. I may get quite emotional of the realisation of what happened

Its amazing how far theyve got and now it comes down to one win away from a premiership win.

I dont want to get carried away at the moment but I'm so proud of the boys. I hope they put in a great game Sunday night.

Go Parra!!!

Matty Bhoy

Juniors

They sure were. I was there at Lang Park. I was there the year before when Wynnum beat Brothers too. In fact if you want a laugh, YouTube Brisbane Brothers celebrations 1987. An absolute riot that would never be allowed on the news these days :D

Matty Bhoy

Juniors

Bugger it, I’ll save you the click. Have a look for the beer cans getting tossed at Struddy. Steve Carter’s rocket fuel concoction. I used to ask for a Steve Carter haircut at the barbers… still sport one haha. Good times. Here’s hoping Sunday we create some fresh ones!

strider

Post Whore
In would mean a smile a clinched fist pump then probably off to bed and a good sleep.
Yeah similar ... though i think 2 fist pumps and a lap of the lounge room is in order.
It would be great to win, but its not gonna dramatically change my life.

Latest posts