What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would be an acceptable result for Penrith in 2008?

Chachi

Bench
Firstly I'd like to commiserate with you all on what has transpired this season. While I admit to taking some satisfaction in Matt Elliott flopping as a coach this year, it is hard to see it happen at a club which does not deserve it.

My question is what would be seen as an acceptable finish for your team in 2008? There is no doubt you have a bucketload of talent coming through the ranks but my concern is how they will perform with the departure of key playmakers such as Gower and Priddis(?) as well as the likes of Clinton and Wallace.

In his time with Canberra, Elliott relied heavily on veterans like Schifcofske, Woolford and Smith to run our team. He forced players like Withers and Drew into halfback which led to the eventual departure of guys like McLinden and Michael Monaghan. Seeing Wallace walk out of Penrith unfortunately smacks of the same attitude.

Anyway, I'm not trying to sh!t stir or anything, I'm just an interested onlooker who actually respects your club and hopes it reaps the rewards that developing your own juniors should bring. I'm just not convinced your current coach is the one who has the ability or the attention to discipline to do it.

Dave Q

Coach
Only a few of us in the "co-alition of the willing" are ready to show Elliot the door right now, but not so much for the reasons as you have outlined.

Most of the Panther fans are still considering their position. Thats fair enough.

They blame the players for not putting in consistent efforts.

IMO theres some real truth in that assertion.

But there are also other reasons for their current issues.

I think that Elliot has not managed to communicate as well as he might have. He has other strengths.

But he has the full support of the Panther board and I'd say, most of their fans...at this time.

The Panthers have gotten used to high standards for some years now. This wonderful era is in the midst of rapid change.

Anywhere up from last place is an improvement so long as it is accompanied by graphic illustrations of good things to come.

Panthagrey

Juniors
Realistic thought: At least close to the eight
My honest Opinion:Me has had all year to work on the team and nothing seems to have worked. We have the team capable of winning the comp ,the juniors and coaching staff but we havent gone anywhere but backwards.
Yes its true the only way from the bottom is up but dont forget its still possible for the spoon next year to but hopefully better things to come.
As a supporter ME should have done wonders with the roster but failed and now we have some stagnant pond for some such reason i dont think anybody knows why so i expect heaven as a great reminder to make things better for me and to make me cheer louder and prouder than i have this year.....
Hopefully:D

Caged Panther

First Grade
Well I thought this year would be a rebuilding year but it seens more akin to one of those controlled (or maybe uncontrolled) explosive demolitions you see of old building every now and again. That would make next year the rebuiling year. Realistic expectation would be just outside the eight - hopefull of bottom half of the eight finish.

Oh and I'm glad to finally see a canberra fan come in here with a constructive post about elliott and the panthers instead of the typical haha penrith suck's, elliott suck's posts we get from most canberra supporters who come in here. Kudos to you.

Dave Q

Coach
A kind troll.

On the weekend, instead of the ugly raiders racist rubbish, us rabbitoh fans will be complaining about the number of european-backgrounders in your team!

Chachi

Bench
See that's the thing I'd be worried about with you guys. The bar has been set so low now that anywhere near the top 8 in 2008 might be seen as a "good year".

Having said that, the Raiders needed a good cleanout last year (i.e. Woolford, Smith and Croker) and we are starting to see the benefit of that even though most critics saw it as the collapse of our team. Maybe that's what was needed with the likes of Gower, Priddis and Clinton...

Time will tell I guess. You certainly have the talent to be perennial finalists in the NRL and I hope your expectation doesn't drop below that. Don't get me wrong, I hope Canberra kicks your arse next year :lol: but I hope your blokes stick it up the other clubs despite Elliotts style, because you certainly don't deserve to be where you are now.

Chin up fellas and all the best next season.

mightypanther

Juniors

I have always believed that anything less than making the finals was underachieving, but in saying that, I have also been disappointed.........a lot.

I believed the same thing for this year.......and have been more than disappointed......more like heartbroken.

But next year I will be again expecting at least the eight, and anything less than that will be a huge disappointment.

choc_soldier

Coach
To be honest, anything lower than a top 8 spot will be unacceptable - if we can obtain or develop a capable halfback and five-eighth combination..

I am willing to cut Elliott some slack this year (he did inherit a questionable culture), but next year, we will have a potentially exciting backline with speed written all over it, and a forward pack that will be up there as one of the best (Petero will be invaluable). Elliott is starting to get the team that he wants, even if it means dropping establsihed players and giving kids a go (something that wasn't exactly Lang's go during his last few seasons, which contributed towards this previously mentioned "culture").

If we can solve the "missing link" between the forwards and the backs, we might give the competition a good shake. But if not, we will not threaten the 8.

If it's the same old stuff like it is now after 6-8 rounds next year, Elliott's future at the club might be under question.

Dave Q

Coach
Based on results, and with a similar group of players, it could be argued somewhat forcefully that Lang is the better coach of the two.

It takes a brave soul to stand up and say loudly that the emperor has no clothes!

Thus the penrith based "Co-alition of the Willing."

As I live in the catchment, I am willing to lead the movement.

Elliot is a good coach and a nice person. He builds footballers.

But he must take at least some responsibility for this season's woes.

And the board should be explaining to their electorate how they lost Wallace and Clinton and the treatment dished out to Priddo.

QldPanther

Juniors
I'd say top 8. Civinoceva will lead our forward pack during the year and will give us direction in the forwards. We may struggle with a quality halfback but I believe that Tighe will play five-eighth. Combined with a younger backline (Daniela, Jennings, possibly Sammut) - most coming up for their second full season in the NRL, we should win a few more games. It will be important to win home games, we've only won two or three at home this year which hasn't made CUA a "fortress" for us.

mxlegend99

Referee
Top 4 is acceptable.
Top 8 is bearable.
Outside of that... the coach and 2003 staff must go.

Many coaches would struggle with how lazy our players have been, and the injuries that have hit us. If we have a decent run with injuries, and our star signings and juniors coming through can't crack the top 8... BIG changes have to be made.

Fibroman

First Grade
We will be lucky to make the 8 without a decent halfback.

We must persist with Williams at 5/8th and move Lewis back to the wing or into the lock position.

I'm tipping Masada Iosefa will be starting hooker or perhaps even half back by mid next year.

Lime_Green

Juniors
Didn't I read Elliott in the paper a little bit back saying that he expected a top 6 finish in 2008?

The Panthers are my second favourite team, it is sad to see them struggling so, though I'm sure that Elliott has played some part.

Once Elliott has gotten ridden of the old team and filled it with more malleable types that are open to his structures I'm sure he'll be back to his usual make the 8 but can't win a finals game standard.

choc_soldier

Coach
Lime_Green said:
Didn't I read Elliott in the paper a little bit back saying that he expected a top 6 finish in 2008?

I read that article too - forgot where it was from. To be honest, with the roster that we have, we should be somewhere in the 8.

Instead, we are in dead last spot - and that is disgraceful. Sure, we've had a few injuries, but not as bad as other clubs.

Something is not right out there at the foot of the mountains? Has Elliott played a role? On face value, you would have to say yes, but will it benefit the club in the long term? Panthers management say yes - but let's see how 2008 goes before validating those claims.

panthersballboy

Juniors
I think anything less than top 8 next year is unacceptable. The coach is cleaning out the player ranks, which imo is something that had to be done. We need a new direction and with the kids coming through and a few decent signings Elliott will have a team that SHOULD make the 8. If they don't get there Panthers should throw all of the pokie profits at Greg Alexander to be head coach. He would at least get the players passionate about the club. MG could be forwards coach and Girdler coaching the backs.

Lime_Green

Juniors
panthersballboy said:
I think anything less than top 8 next year is unacceptable. The coach is cleaning out the player ranks, which imo is something that had to be done. We need a new direction and with the kids coming through and a few decent signings Elliott will have a team that SHOULD make the 8. If they don't get there Panthers should throw all of the pokie profits at Greg Alexander to be head coach. He would at least get the players passionate about the club. MG could be forwards coach and Girdler coaching the backs.

I wouldn't mind seeing Brandy coach, though it would be difficult to prise him away from his cushy Fox gig. Particularly if Nine do get Laurie Daley as is rumoured - Greg will be top of the pile then you'd imagine.

I'm fascinated to see how Elliott goes next year with a mostly young team. I thought he always struggled a bit at the Raiders when he didn't have the old heads of Schifcofske, Croker, Woolford and co to rely on. [As in 2005 when the club was hit by a serious injury crisis]

I'd predict a finish somewhere between 7th and 12th.

Kilkenny

Coach
Fibroman said:
We will be lucky to make the 8 without a decent halfback.

We must persist with Williams at 5/8th and move Lewis back to the wing or into the lock position.

I'm tipping Masada Iosefa will be starting hooker or perhaps even half back by mid next year.

I am unsure whether Masada Iosefa is playing half due to necessity ie injuries to Caldwell and Pill and or whether he is be given an opportunity to show what he can do in the position. He was a five eight in the junior reps and as far as I am aware was only moved to hooker in Flegg this season.

As for 2008, the politically correct view would be to take it one game at a time? From Kilkenny's perspective anything less than a top eight finish would be unacceptable.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Kilkenny said:
He was a five eight in the junior reps and as far as I am aware was only moved to hooker in Flegg this season.

Played a fair bit of lock when he was younger too. Very talented player, who can handle 4 positions, wouldnt that be nice coming of the bench in first grade next year :D

Fibroman

First Grade
Panther_Daz said:
Played a fair bit of lock when he was younger too. Very talented player, who can handle 4 positions, wouldnt that be nice coming of the bench in first grade next year :D

We have enough benchies. We need someone that can play the full 80mins in the #7. Masada could be the man?