What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you do if you were Bluey?

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
ropati's stats would be worse if added to the missed tackle count was a "didn't even make an attempt while watching the opponent run right by" stat.

vvvrulz

Coach
ropati's stats would be worse if added to the missed tackle count was a "didn't even make an attempt while watching the opponent run right by" stat.

:lol: Did that plenty against the Roosters too.

If Manu was that bad (I didn't see the whole game), then there is a serious case to dump all three of them. I don't think it will happen though, at least not to Ropati. He seems to be a protected species while Inu is the possum.

vvvrulz

Coach
Yeah change of mind for me, maybe we should go easy on Manu given that he's had to deal with a shocking centre beside him.

beefstew

Juniors
Yeah change of mind for me, maybe we should go easy on Manu given that he's had to deal with a shocking centre beside him.

I didn't realize his centers made him drop the ball or miss tackles?...maybe they could be blamed for
a couple of Vatuvei's positional mistakes, but thats it.

Stats don't tell the real story. The big bloke Pavali or what's his name, ran past Johnson as if he wasn't even there, to score. Johnson just jumped out of his way, didn't lay a hand on him so it's not a missed tackle.

aargon

Ok, lets see if I can steer this thread back on course.

Here's my reasoning behind why we're performing below par thus far:

1. Our expectations are too high.
Yes, we got to the final last year, but with a new rookie coach, with practically a rookie team, I think we need to bring our expectations down a few notches. Saying anyone can simply step up to NRL level week in and week out from U20 (Toyota Cup), or coming from the ESL without slowly working your way in is amateurish at the least. Bad call by management to bring Bluey in as head coach so soon.

2. Inexperience - look at the team taking the field currently - Johnson, Henry/Hurrell,Ropati,Friend, Lousi, Mataulino,Taylor(?) - these guys are not match fit - even the likes of Friend and Ropati who have been out of the game for so long will need time to work themselves into form. That's practically 1/2 our squad who arent use to the week in week out of the NRL. Its not surprising we're now in Rd7 and wheels have fallen off.

3. Injuries - Lillyman, Luck, Rapira's. They're practically our entire forward pack. And while our subs in Packer, Matualino, Lousi have done an admirable job, the sooner our experienced forwards return, the better.

4. Bad team selection decisions - choosing Toyota Cup players ahead of Inu is just mind blowing. In fact, Lewis Brown played a large chunk of last season at center - so he's also getting over-looked by Bluey. To me, that’s just a bad call.

5. Bluey isnt giving enough respect to how tough the NRL is. I think he's definitely realising it now. Refer to point 2.

Keep the faith boys.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
You're comparing stats for a guy who has played over an extra game than Ropati too. I don't think Vatuvei has been very flash this season, had a shocker against Manly where he racked up 6 of those errors but if I wanted to defend him I could add up running metres, tackle breaks tc and be like wow look at how many more metres gained Vatuvei has made than Ropati!!!!

Lol and the best part is how you lament for missed tackles, Ropati loves to serve them up, except his missed tackles are much more costly too. Theres no doubt Vatuvei is on his last legs as winger but there are bigger problems just a position iside of him.

aargon

Look, we all know Ropati and Vatuvei are crap.

Lets just move on.....

Hopefully the last 6 games have been a good learning experience for Bluey and the team and they can start turning things round. However, if we're still in shiet when Luck, Lillyman and Rapira returns....

I feel my blood levels starting to rise again...

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Decent post, Aargon. The quicker we're able to achieve point 3, the quicker we turn our season around.

Talk to all the players (at least one first grade regular still not getting talked to)

If you're right about this, then I'm stunned. Beyond the points already made, if I was Bluey, besides giving feedback to every single player, I'd be taking feedback from them, too. They dug themselves out of a very similar hole last year. They have that experience to draw from and knowledge comes from experience. Everything needs to come to the surface that could possibly help turn the season around, not just ideas and technical things, but also players current mindsets and some honesty about their own performances and their teammates performances so far.

beefstew

Juniors
You're comparing stats for a guy who has played over an extra game than Ropati too. I don't think Vatuvei has been very flash this season, had a shocker against Manly where he racked up 6 of those errors but if I wanted to defend him I could add up running metres, tackle breaks tc and be like wow look at how many more metres gained Vatuvei has made than Ropati!!!!

Lol and the best part is how you lament for missed tackles, Ropati loves to serve them up, except his missed tackles are much more costly too. Theres no doubt Vatuvei is on his last legs as winger but there are bigger problems just a position iside of him.

Say what you like, but theres just no excuse for the massive amount of errors and missed tackles Vatuvei makes. especially
for a winger, he would have been dropped long ago in any other team.

Manu's meters are good, considering most of them are front rower like hit-ups, that said, the Vulcans level winger
playing on the other wing is only 80 meters behind him in total, and they are both around the average mark for
NRL wingers.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
He would not been dropped a long time ago in any other team. There is probably at least 10 teams out there right now that would love to have him on the wing.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
1. Tell the boys to hit the line hard. Too many times The Fish slowly jogged upto their defence during a kick return

2. Tell Mannering to get some frikken leadership skills. I may cop it for this, but too many times when The Raiders or the Roosters scored in the past 2 weeks, the guys are standing around and no one is talking. Rev em up Simon!!

3. Sort out the positions. If locke is fit, he has to play. Manu and Tupou on notice. Drop ropo, bring back Inu, Bring in Hurrell, drop Benry to the bench.
1. Locke
2. Tupou
3. Inu
4. Hurrell
5. Manu
6,7,9 pick themselves
8. Lousi
10. Matulino
11. Mannering
12. Brown
13. Taylor

14. Rapira
15. Packer
16. Mateo
17. Benry

Meth

Staff member
Something needs to happen with Manu Vatuvei. But Ropati has been much worse. Anybody who can't see that is only fooling themselves.

Micistm

Bench

To be fair though, there's a lot of sentimentality in regard to Manu, he shouldn't be exempt from critique if deserving of it. Those stats were quite telling. JRos been bad, but so has Manu. Well, let's be honest, very few set the world on fire in the last two weeks.
There are a few senior players who need to pull finger a bit

JoeD

First Grade
The thing about Manu is - who have we got to replace him? If Tupou is the 2nd best wing then I don't want to see 3rd. He does nothing for me at all. Whereas there is a willing and ready replacement for JBro

Micistm

Bench
Ok, lets see if I can steer this thread back on course.

Here's my reasoning behind why we're performing below par thus far:

1. Our expectations are too high.
Yes, we got to the final last year, but with a new rookie coach, with practically a rookie team, I think we need to bring our expectations down a few notches. Saying anyone can simply step up to NRL level week in and week out from U20 (Toyota Cup), or coming from the ESL without slowly working your way in is amateurish at the least. Bad call by management to bring Bluey in as head coach so soon.

2. Inexperience - look at the team taking the field currently - Johnson, Henry/Hurrell,Ropati,Friend, Lousi, Mataulino,Taylor(?) - these guys are not match fit - even the likes of Friend and Ropati who have been out of the game for so long will need time to work themselves into form. That's practically 1/2 our squad who arent use to the week in week out of the NRL. Its not surprising we're now in Rd7 and wheels have fallen off.

3. Injuries - Lillyman, Luck, Rapira's. They're practically our entire forward pack. And while our subs in Packer, Matualino, Lousi have done an admirable job, the sooner our experienced forwards return, the better.

4. Bad team selection decisions - choosing Toyota Cup players ahead of Inu is just mind blowing. In fact, Lewis Brown played a large chunk of last season at center - so he's also getting over-looked by Bluey. To me, that’s just a bad call.

5. Bluey isnt giving enough respect to how tough the NRL is. I think he's definitely realising it now. Refer to point 2.

Keep the faith boys.

Some very fair points there...the hype building up to this years was unbelievable. I have to admit my faith in Bluey has been dropping-rapidly in the last two weeks-but there are so many in League circles that say he is a great coach. And he's there, that's not likely to change anytime soon so you just gotta hope he's a coach that can sort these things.
I still believe though, that some of those players in the last couple of weeks need the riot act thrown at them. And yes, Inu's snubbing has to stop, he's the obvious centre to go in, to cover for a senior player so badly out of form he's incapable of leading by example. That is the first and most obvious change to make- and the rest of the team to be put on notice to lift themselves.
I understand Locke's all good to go this week, so that's one less problem