What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whatever happens in 2012

Eels Dude

Coach
That s fair enough but I think it was about a good as it could of been.

Think about the positions we needed to improve and the players that were actually off contract and we have done as well as we could have.

Who was off contract that we didn't recruit that would have made much difference?

I agree completely. But some people are talking up that this is our best recruitment drive since we got the Canterbury 4 in '96 and that's what I disagree with. We've recruited solidly, but I don't expect the players we've signed to turn us from 1 point above the wooden spoon into a premiership force.

lingard

Coach
It's not that new - Lockyer played like this when he was a fullback, and Matt Bowen has been doing it for years.

As for Hayne, he's played the traditional fullback role before for us - the 16 games he played at fullback in '07 and '08 as well as most of the games he played during his run in 2009. It wasn't until late in that season that he started pushing in front of the halves.

That`s absolutely true. I was very puzzled with all the talk when Ricky Stuart selected Dugan at fullback for NSW. You know, that he wanted a more traditional-style fullback. And I`m like 'what the f**k? Isn`t that exactly what Jarryd Hayne is?' And people on here are like 'no he`s a five-eight' and I`m like 'whatever'.

Last edited:

Maroubra Eel

Coach
If we did happen to miss the finals for the third year running I won't be too worried. Just as long as we are competitive.
I will probably get a bit worried if we miss out on the 8 for about 5 or 6 years straight but.

Sensai Cobra

Juniors
It's not that new - Lockyer played like this when he was a fullback, and Matt Bowen has been doing it for years.

The difference is that Hayne has had no real help from his halves and has been trying to do everything, both the examples you have used these players have had some decent halves - Bowen is a good example of the sort of game Hayne should be looking to play. my comment was more about Hayne taking a step back and allowing others to set stuff up and for him to play a role rather than being at the centre of everything.

As for Hayne, he's played the traditional fullback role before for us - the 16 games he played at fullback in '07 and '08 as well as most of the games he played during his run in 2009. It wasn't until late in that season that he started pushing in front of the halves.

excactly and I guess we can assume that he did this because and our halves have been pretty much useless since than (and probably before) but we will now have a decent set of halves who can set stuff up.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That`s absolutely true. I was very puzzled with all the talk when Ricky Stuart selected Dugan at fullback for NSW. You know, that he wanted a more traditional-style fullback. And I`m like 'what the f**k? Isn`t that exactly what Jarryd Hayne is?' And people on here are like 'no he`s a five-eight' and I`m like 'whatever'.

Exactly. How stupid are people to think that just because Hayne's become one of the game's premier playmakers that he's forgotten how to run the ball.

With other players passing at the line (Sandow, Roberts) we'll go back to seeing the best of Hayne's running game, but even if nobody puts him through gaps he'll still be awesome next year because we have a couple of other dangerous runners (Tonga, Sandow) for the defence to think about.

Jarryd Hayne one-on-one with an edge defender? How long since we saw that?

It would have been some time in 2009.

Sensai Cobra

Juniors

Stuart was making most of his post selection comments up as he went...like saying He didn't select Hayne at Fullback because he thought he was a better five eigth

lingard

Coach
Stuart was making most of his post selection comments up as he went...like saying He didn't select Hayne at Fullback because he thought he was a better five eigth

I think you`re right about that. And I thought so at the time. But every man and his dog picked it up and ran with it. Funny, too, because it was never Stuart`s idea to have Hayne at five-eight; it was Daniel Anderson`s. And even then, I think it was just a way to improve certain aspects of Jarryd`s game so that he could then be a better fullback - which proved to be the case.

Wise Old Eel

Juniors
As most of you know, I was not happy with the sacking of Daniel Anderson. The whole thing was amateur hour if you ask me – all the rumours and innuendo of he said/she said (you know what I mean). In my opinion it was pathetic. No one here can confidently say “I know exactly what happened” and we may never really know the whole truth anyway. All we do know is that we must keep moving forward, not looking back.

I think sacking Kearney [if we do not make the 8 next year] would just reinforce the whole amateur hour status regarding this current administration. They made the decision to sack DA and gamble their (our) future on a rookie coach. They have to see it through now and give him the whole 3 years of his contract. Let him know his head is on the block in his final year, should the team not be performing. We cannot keep chopping and changing coaches every 2 seasons or we will indeed end up back in the dark old days of the late 80’s/early 90’s – and NO ONE wants that.

As for how I believe we will go in 2012, well I expect to see some improvement – you would hope so with the improvement in roster – but I believe we will finish somewhere between 8th and 12th. From what I have observed so far, Kearney’s philosophy seems to be copy the Storm blueprint. Personally, I think the game is changing again, as it does every 4 or 5 years. The Warriors, Broncos and Tigers showed this year where the game is heading (although I believe the Broncos will struggle in 2012 without Lockyer). The Warriors and Tigers in particular have the wood on the Storm and it won’t take long for the other teams to cotton onto how to beat them using similar tactics. So, is Kearney basing his methodology on an outdated practice? He appeared to be inflexible this season with this tactics (particularly the way he used Hayne at fullback and the interchange). Does he have what it takes to move with the times or is he just a cheap carbon copy of Bellamy? Time will tell.

Go the Eels!
WOE

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
As most of you know, I was not happy with the sacking of Daniel Anderson. The whole thing was amateur hour if you ask me – all the rumours and innuendo of he said/she said (you know what I mean). In my opinion it was pathetic. No one here can confidently say “I know exactly what happened” and we may never really know the whole truth anyway. All we do know is that we must keep moving forward, not looking back.

I think sacking Kearney [if we do not make the 8 next year] would just reinforce the whole amateur hour status regarding this current administration. They made the decision to sack DA and gamble their (our) future on a rookie coach. They have to see it through now and give him the whole 3 years of his contract. Let him know his head is on the block in his final year, should the team not be performing. We cannot keep chopping and changing coaches every 2 seasons or we will indeed end up back in the dark old days of the late 80’s/early 90’s – and NO ONE wants that.

As for how I believe we will go in 2012, well I expect to see some improvement – you would hope so with the improvement in roster – but I believe we will finish somewhere between 8th and 12th. From what I have observed so far, Kearney’s philosophy seems to be copy the Storm blueprint. Personally, I think the game is changing again, as it does every 4 or 5 years. The Warriors, Broncos and Tigers showed this year where the game is heading (although I believe the Broncos will struggle in 2012 without Lockyer). The Warriors and Tigers in particular have the wood on the Storm and it won’t take long for the other teams to cotton onto how to beat them using similar tactics. So, is Kearney basing his methodology on an outdated practice? He appeared to be inflexible this season with this tactics (particularly the way he used Hayne at fullback and the interchange). Does he have what it takes to move with the times or is he just a cheap carbon copy of Bellamy? Time will tell.

Go the Eels!
WOE

what ??

Tigers played attacking football and couldn't get past the second week of thew finals. Gee with 5 to go they were leading but still tried to score, gee how stupid are the tigers

Warriors were ok and only defeated the storm by playing like the storm !! they certainty did not throw the ball around in that game.

Yeah gee imagine the score blow outs this year if Kearney got his side to play like the eels 2009 side - we played a very structured game this year because we did not have the players to do anything else. Gee our hlaves for the last game was Reni and Burt !!!