What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

whats doing with thomo?

jc155776

Coach
Maybe a positive will be the forced healthier change to Thomos lifestyle could make him a better player?

Knowing little about diabetes im not sure whether, when properly controlled, they have a huge effect on physical ability?

Houdini

First Grade
jc155776 said:
Maybe a positive will be the forced healthier change to Thomos lifestyle could make him a better player?

Knowing little about diabetes im not sure whether, when properly controlled, they have a huge effect on physical ability?
If it is properly controlled then it shouldn't affect his ability.
But it will take some time to work out the best diet and training regime to work with his medication. Too low a blood sugar level or too high a blood sugar level could affect his performance on any given day. Thats why regular testing if sugar levels is a must.

imasharkie

Coach
Snorkleburger said:
Haemachromatosis??

Like Sheros i have this iron problem too, to go along with my diabetes.
And yes those needles are huge.
Those bloody Sharks had better win a premiership soon.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
thomo is too old to learn to deal with this. IMO
As a forward his weight is an extremely important component. He cant be fluctuating up & down while taking on the monsters of the NRL & still making an impact.
he was too light before he lost the weight. Now he has to find a way to rebuild thos 10 kegs.

I think its all over for Thomo.

You never know, it could have the reverse affect on his career & take it to a new level. But I would imagine he would have to be totally dedicated to doings so & then some.

spider

Coach
yep - i agree

to see him now is eye opening - he is so thin across the shoulders and through the chest.

i honestly cant see him playing at the ability level he had - let alone put the weight back on

Dani

Immortal
Brett Stewart is diabetic also.

Once he has a regime that works for him it wont impact on his playing ability.

Houdini

First Grade
blacktip-reefy said:
thomo is too old to learn to deal with this. IMO
As a forward his weight is an extremely important component. He cant be fluctuating up & down while taking on the monsters of the NRL & still making an impact.
he was too light before he lost the weight. Now he has to find a way to rebuild thos 10 kegs.

I think its all over for Thomo.

You never know, it could have the reverse affect on his career & take it to a new level. But I would imagine he would have to be totally dedicated to doings so & then some.
Once he gets the diabetes under control, his weight shouldn't fluctuate unless there are other issue aside from the diabetes.

But I do agree it will probably a big ask for him to gain that weight back now, especially as he will need to follow a strict diet, can't just go shovelling in the junk food and cakes

spider

Coach
Dani said:
Brett Stewart is diabetic also.

i have heard stewart tests himself anywhere up to 2 dozen times on game day - as a precaution with his adrenalin running, etc

only thing with thommo managing his condition is that he would need that 10 kegs back on his frame

U.K SHARK

Juniors
Like Brett Stewart, Steve Renouf was also a Diabetic and it didn’t affect his career.

This is a perfectly manageable condition and with a decent pre season he’ll be fine in my opinion. You have to remember that these guys have dieticians and doctors around them anyway, so I’m sure THommo will get thru this.

spider

Coach
if thommo returns to his playing weight in the off season - ASADA will set up camp in his front yard

haemachromatosis was a handy adaption back in the old days when you had to hunt for meat, and you'd go for long periods without iron . It's useless now that the only hunting you have to do is at the freezer at the local woolies, and every pie shop and hamburger joint in town.

coolumsharkie

Referee
haemachromatosis is not a word I'm familiar with but a mate of mine has to get blood taken out weekly becuase of too much iron in the blood, this would be the same or similar yes?

This guy is well into his 50's and only found out he had it a few years ago. So some part of this disease must develope through time and some part is there from birth?

Is that about right?

coolumsharkie said:
haemachromatosis is not a word I'm familiar with but a mate of mine has to get blood taken out weekly becuase of too much iron in the blood, this would be the same or similar yes?

This guy is well into his 50's and only found out he had it a few years ago. So some part of this disease must develope through time and some part is there from birth?

Is that about right?

Yep, that'd be it . It's a very common genetic disorder that is there from birth and causes iron to build up in organs that can cause heart disease, diabetes, liver cancer as secondary conditions.

Sometimes doctors only treat the secondary symptoms like diabetes. Giving blood every now and again is not nearly as serious as what Thommo has to do for the rest of his life.