What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's Doing?

Narcissist

Juniors
Why is this the only forum that has so much crap on it? Every other section on LU is talking current events but all the talk in here is about the past. Dont get me wrong I am all for the history of the game but surely there are more important things to discuss than nicknames and dream teams. Seriously guys alot of you have far too much time on your hands. Please dont write back saying its just some harmless fun or we cant forget the great history of queensland rugby league talk about this stuff on weekends in the can bar.

The Sultan

Juniors
Im with u Kiwi Bob. :clap: I understand the importance of history in rugby league but the dream games etc are getting a bit much. No offence mud because your statistics and unique views of Rugby League are great to read. Just think that some people in here live in the past a bit. Totally understand that rugby league in queensland isnt the same as it was pre-broncos, and probably never will be, but IMO we should just concentrate on the state of the game now and endorsing it by talking about current issues and matters. Rather than hearing about how great the game was and how great the Wests left winger was in 1967, we should be talking about how great it is now and how great the current players are. Im sorry if i have stepped on any toes here (mud). :shock:

Sydney Carton

Juniors
I'm with you on tslking about the current era but it's not Mud's fault all the posts are about the past.

Who's stopping you guys starting topical posts about season 2004?

I've been a bit busy but will be doing so shortly.....

zulu

Juniors
Don't worry mate once the season starts, current events get a good workout.

BTW, nobody is stopping you talking about whatever u want. Feel free to get modern if you wish.

I for one love the old stuff, back when the local stuff was the biggest game in town.

It cannot be forgotton!! Back in the days when Brissie clubs weren't affiliated with Sydney clubs and all forms of media were keen for a BRL yarn.

There's a great mix of the old and new here. Just wait for the season to kick off.

If you don't like then move on to a thread that may suit your tastes. :)

I don't know about Kiwi Bob, but most of us here grew up in Brissie, hence the memories. Maybe Kiwi doesn't have any memories to share?

Anyway enough rambling...

Who was the Brothers forward sent off for head-butting Norths forward Dave Wrafter in the 1987 Woolies final at Lang Park?

oxenham

Juniors
Kiwi
If you don't find it to your tastes don't read it........like I would not read anything about wrestling.
When the season starts there is a reasonable mix.

I was there.......at a guess Steve Carter.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I'm one of the "oldies" but love nothing more than discussing this season's games and players. Desparately looking forward to seeing the green and red taking the field tomorrow for the first time in 2004.

The balance here is good. Followers of the Sydney comp have plenty of other avenues for celebrating the past - the media has frequent articles on heroes of the past. The heroes of the Brisbane comp rarely get such recognition so for the long time followers like Oxenham, Mud, myself etc, this is one of few opportunities to share such memories.

I would have thought this forum is much better balanced than all the club based forums. I've recently been having a look on Newcastle's forum for news about David Seage and find that a large number of their topics are not related to Rugby League at all. Also a bit unhealthy having most people on a forum following the one team - things can lose perspective.

mud n blood

Juniors
Let me assess this fairly ....

I visit the Sydney-based forums and they talk about things like who the best looking player is. As far as I'm concerned the Sydney comp (aka NRL) can burn in hell for a thousand years. I don't give f**k.

You get topics on tv, radio, in papers on the great games, great players, yarns stories etc ..... all Sydney stuff !!! Like there hasn't been RL anywhere but there.

This is a "QRL" forum - anything to do with RL in Qld my friends .... past, present or future - doesn't matter. I think the people here give a fair and open opinion on everything. It's a good balance of old and new, regional and city, young and elder statesmen .....

I can visit other forums that are called "The Good Old Days" .... and hundreds of posts are there doing what we do here sometimes - but its all Sydney-centric !

Anyway, more local Qld news appears here than on the QRL site, radio, tv and papers put together. In fact, we have proven on a number of occasions that the press get their news from here ....

How are you today, Mr Ricketts ..... :lol:

I think you've been given the answer - dont come here if you dont like it. Never seen either of you post here except to bag us today !!! Good-bye

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Last season is now part of the "good old days".

Will you have no interest in what happened in 2003 in twenty or thirty years time ?

Tigertread

Juniors
XXXX Cap said:
Last season is now part of the "good old days".

Will you have no interest in what happened in 2003 in twenty or thirty years time ?

Maybe we are dealing with a fast food / throwaway generation of current followers.
Just maybe I wont care in thirty years time.

Narcissist

Juniors
Off season my arse!! Maybe i could accept that as an excuse a month or 2 ago but its 2 weeks out from the season proper. Now this post is by no means a shot at all you older patrons on this forum, wisdom and age go hand in hand, but surely there is more to talk about than things that happened 20 years ago. You've had 20 years to disscuss it. Now dont say to me "well why dont you start new topics?" because im not on here every 10 minutes like some of you guys.

Big Tommy

Juniors
"Those who forget history are destined to re-live it"

Sorry Kiwi Bob - but I think you've seen from other members of this forum that we have a pretty good balance and don't share your views.

Here's an example.

I followed rugby league in Brisbane from the early 1970's until the late 1980's. Apart from watching the odd game, I didn't go near league again until I got involved with a second division club in 1999. Since that time and the re-emergence of my club, I have progressively become more involved with league in Brisbane/Qld once again - but even then only in a limited form mainly just with my team asopposed to taking a wider view of the competition and other club, in particular their players.

So at the moment, I'm pretty well unqualified to give an assessment on players; player movements; etc. Therefore many of my posts on this forum are historical until I get back my local knowledge. Using your guide, I probably should not post on this forum.

Is that really the way to go?

zulu

Juniors
oxenham said:
Kiwi
If you don't find it to your tastes don't read it........like I would not read anything about wrestling.
When the season starts there is a reasonable mix.

I was there.......at a guess Steve Carter.

Tony Elliot... and Dave Gerrad went ballistic with some of the funniest looking punches/slaps your ever likely to see in retaliation.

I think Brothers won that one 18-4.

zulu

Juniors
mud n blood said:
Anyway, more local Qld news appears here than on the QRL site, radio, tv and papers put together. In fact, we have proven on a number of occasions that the press get their news from here ....

Couldn't agree more with this statement. Living in Sydney I feel I'm more in the know about most matters QRL by coming to this forum, than I ever was whilst living in Brisbane during the 90's. This is where you come for CURRENT gossip and news as no doubt Ricketts and Westlake do on a regular basis.

If this isn't good enough for you Kiwi Bob, may I sugget you buy the Courier Mail :lol: :lol:

rugged

Juniors
Why can't we use our forum which ever way we want without a kiwi coming in to tell us what we should be saying?

Geez :evil:

oxenham

Juniors
Zu
I have been trying to think of the hookers name from Wide Bay for a long time......Dave Gerrard.....you could not get boo out of hm....good bloke :)
Did Tont Elliot have a season with brothers?
I appologise for this regression to matters beyond 2003 :lol:

stormboy

Juniors
Don't u just love living in the past ... memories are fond memories - talk what u want to talk about yeah