What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats going on at Manly?

The Colonel

Immortal
Was interested to read the article in today's League Week regarding Manly withdrawing their offer for Michael Monaghan. Seems very strange when he is one of the main reasons for the turnaround both late last year and for much of this?

While they are chasing Orford could they end up without a halfback again if Monaghan receives a good offer from England or another club for that matter and Orford decides to stay in Melbourne?

Seems a strange option given all the good work they have managed to do - even a scrumbase partnership of Orford and Monaghan would be as good as any in the comp. :?

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Absolute wank...

The offer was only "pulled off the table" because Mona's manager was and still is in England atm with with other clients. The club and Monaghan did not want to sign without his manager being present.

Don't blame both parties either..

Why would we want a player back that we got rid of? Especially when he would be playing for money, not for the club like Mona's.

The guy bleeds Manly..."I couldn't be happier at Manly".

groggo

Juniors
Monaghan keen to re-sign

11 May 2005

Inspirational skipper Michael Monaghan says he hopes to re-sign with Manly this week despite speculation linking Melbourne halfback Matt Orford with the Sea Eagles.

Monaghan's manager Jim Banaghan had claimed that his charge was "devastated" after Manly withdrew its offer to the class halfback.

But Monaghan today said talks initially stalled due to Banaghan's overseas commitments but had resumed again and they hoped to finalise a new deal "this week".

"We started negotiations but my manager had to go overseas for a month so the club was basically keen to sign me before he left but we ran out of time," said Canberra-born Monaghan, who turns 25 on Friday.

"I told the club I wouldn't sign while he was away so they have taken it off the table.

"But now he's back we will start negotiations again and hopefully have it sorted out this week."

The hiccup in negotiations prompted talk that Orford - off contract at the end of 2005 - would be coveted by Manly.

Orford has also been linked with English club Warrington and the Gold Coast 16th team bid which hopes to enter the NRL in 2007.

Manly executive director Paul Cummings said he hoped talks with Monaghan would be finalised in the "next month or so".

"The manager can do what he wants for whatever reasons he wants to do it," Cummings said of Banaghan's initial claim.

"All I will say is that we see Michael as a very valuable part of our plans going forward and I am fairly comfortable in my own mind that it will sort itself out in the next month or so."

Monaghan said his future at Manly was not in doubt.

"I don't think so. The club has told me they are keen to sign and they know I am keen to stay so it was just the problem of my manager being overseas that has made it difficult," he said.

"There is talk they have spoken to him (Orford) which I can understand considering they need a halfback for next year.

"They didn't want to be left in a situation if they did lose me they were without a halfback next year and there are a couple of other halfbacks on the market, so they had to act quickly for next year."

Monaghan admitted he "couldn't be happier" at Manly, which is equal NRL leader on points and in line to make its first finals campaign since 1998.

But the Eagles captain - who took over from veteran backrower Steve Menzies just last year - wanted contract negotiations over sooner rather than later.

"The way the club is going at the moment, we still have a long way to go but the future is bright for Manly and things are only going to get better," he said.

"(But) you don't want these type of things (contract negotiations) hanging around for too long.

"We've got a pretty tough month of football coming up so I don't want to be dealing with this sort of stuff during that."

Brought to you by AAP

Gene Krupa

Referee
Just when you thought things are going well, your management pulls out the brain explosion of the year! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Way to alienate your best player this year!

t-ba

Post Whore
Gene Krupa said:
Just when you thought things are going well, your management pulls out the brain explosion of the year! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Way to alienate your best player this year!

I'd wait and see what your management does during the player buying frenzy before making comments like that:alcho:

Mzilikazi

Juniors
One of the most amusing things I've seen in a long time.

A Parammatta fan telling us how to go about recruitment. :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

t-ba

Post Whore
We're not even back to our evil best but the hatred is resurfacing nicely...

Matt M

Juniors
This is ridiculous, its was just delayed while his manager was in England, nothing more to it. Manly will still sign Monaghan for 2006.

Mzilikazi

Juniors
Where there is smoke there is fire.

Why was the manager in England? For a holiday? Puhleeeeese!!!

Methinks Monaghan might be turning into a mercenary.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Mzilikazi said:
Where there is smoke there is fire.

Why was the manager in England? For a holiday? Puhleeeeese!!!

Methinks Monaghan might be turning into a mercenary.

Tending to the needs of other clients.

Jim Branaghan has at least 4 or 5 players under his management.

Mzilikazi

Juniors
CC Eagle. So he tended to the needs of other clients and didn't mention Moanaghan? He just dropped his interests for those few weeks?????

Puhleeeeeeeeeese!!!!!!