What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats next for the Hawks?

emesssea

Juniors
In the end it all comes down to grassroots. Build an interest in the sport at the grassroots level, and the rest will develop. This is what soccer did, grant it it took close to a 100 years for soccer to finally be considered a legitimate sport, and that came with quite a few false starts.

Again this is a sport where 99% of Americans don't even know exist, so its kind of hard to convince major sponsors to fork over money with that kind of profile.

Someone mentioned getting the sport on TV, but we already have a pretty crowded sports lineup. Both national and local broadcasters have a full plate of NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS, european soccer, College football, college basketball, golf, tennis and in certain parts of the country College baseball, college hockey, and high school sports. I think currently NRL is shown randomly on Fox Sports 2, a channel which most of America doesn't get or for those who do don't even realize they have on their cable lineup, even then they usually prefer showing AFL.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, though its in my nature, but just highlighting the realities of the situation. It will be an uphill battle to gain a foothold in the US, but the rewards are immense, hence the reason why FIFA took a direct interest/role in soccer in the US. With that said maybe the RLIF (and to a lesser extent RFL and ARLC) need to take a more hands on approach in helping USARL get this league and sport off the ground. I don't think the US is going to see the need to embrace both codes, so who ever wins this pseudo-arms race will be the prominent code in the US/North America.

Choo Choo

Juniors
In the end it all comes down to grassroots. Build an interest in the sport at the grassroots level, and the rest will develop. This is what soccer did, grant it it took close to a 100 years for soccer to finally be considered a legitimate sport, and that came with quite a few false starts.

Again this is a sport where 99% of Americans don't even know exist, so its kind of hard to convince major sponsors to fork over money with that kind of profile.

Someone mentioned getting the sport on TV, but we already have a pretty crowded sports lineup. Both national and local broadcasters have a full plate of NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS, european soccer, College football, college basketball, golf, tennis and in certain parts of the country College baseball, college hockey, and high school sports. I think currently NRL is shown randomly on Fox Sports 2, a channel which most of America doesn't get or for those who do don't even realize they have on their cable lineup, even then they usually prefer showing AFL.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, though its in my nature, but just highlighting the realities of the situation. It will be an uphill battle to gain a foothold in the US, but the rewards are immense, hence the reason why FIFA took a direct interest/role in soccer in the US. With that said maybe the RLIF (and to a lesser extent RFL and ARLC) need to take a more hands on approach in helping USARL get this league and sport off the ground. I don't think the US is going to see the need to embrace both codes, so who ever wins this pseudo-arms race will be the prominent code in the US/North America.

Also, I'm not sure people realize but USA Rugby was founded in the early 1970's and it took them almost 35 years to get where they are today with sponsors, TV, etc. So as stated above we have to continue to try to get support from the grassroots level. As Spinner said, these things don't come cheap and if potential sponsors don't see an ROI, they don't want to invest. I know for the Slayers, I talk to at least 20 different people each year and the first thing they want to see is how they will benefit from a partnership. As a league, we've made great strides since we started in 2011. That's what we need to focus on and use to grow in the future.

roughyedspud

Coach
What now for the hawks??

Im still waiting for a team jersey for coming up with the name "usa hawks"

Size large ;)

Fatwing15

Juniors
ROI is huge to sponsors. The Sharks aligned themselves with the local union team and one of the benifits we try to present to our sponsors is 3 seasons of exposure/advertising per year and 12 home games as opposed to just the 4.

Latest posts