What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the point.......

Knightmare

Coach
I started going to games and watching the Knights games each weekend on TV when I was 14. While it's true that having among the best teams to have played for us and usually winning at home (as well as getting great numbers away) helped my enthusiasm along, I also loved that even if they lost, the Knights were a good chance at putting in. They generally at least made the game a contest and made you feel proud even in defeat. Proud that you helped make the atmosphere at Marathon Stadium what it was. Proud that despite being at the enemy's home ground, so many other people made the effort to come and give as much of a shit about this team as you did- and the opposition fans noticed. Proud that, against the News Limited owned might of the Broncos or the chequebook Roosters, here was a team full of players who were not only great, but spirited- and from the very town they represented. Proud that 9 times out of 10, the team would reward you for giving a shit by giving a shit about the result themselves. Proud when the Knights would be labelled "Everyones' second favourite team". I remember being on a train in Sydney, coming back from a game against Cronulla and an opposition fan said to me that "If every teams fans followed their team the way Knights fans do, the game would be so much better". And they proved their credentials with silverware. Why wouldn't you see a point to investing your time/ emotion in that?

Fast forward to today and there are more than a few reasons (too long in detail to cover here) why the club has gone in the direction it has since 2001. Despite living interstate and only managing to go to a handful of Knights games in any given season, I find myself wondering how much I would go even if I still lived close enough to easily make their season's home fixtures? There is a different vibe about the club these days. Even at home games, there's not the same enthusiasm about the team or about their purpose. How many away teams genuinely feel any sort of intimidation about coming to our home ground? It's reflected in the decision-making at the club as well, which has been documented enough already. There is no ambition, no feeling of a real desire to be the best or at least give the fans reason to believe in showing up and making the effort. These days it's not a huge deal if I miss a game on TV- underwhelming results don't help- but even going to the game doesn't have the same buzz it used to. Surely it's not just me getting older- more often than not, attending a Knights game feels like pure tokenism. Even if they win, coming away feels less like "F**k yeah we won!" and more like "Thank f**k they didn't make me end up feeling like I wasted my time/ money." Then I look at the treatment other teams get compared to the Knights and I get the impression these days that we only exist on the outer periphery of the NRL's consciousness. We are a token presence, nothing more. They'd rather keep the same 5 or 6 clubs happy every year and it shows in the Grand Final rap sheet of the last 15 years. The NRL is in no hurry to help us towards another Premiership, so what's the point in giving a shit? Perhaps if the Knights turn it around from here and give me renewed hope, but for the moment my passion for following the team is largely running on tokenism...

rabble

Juniors
Reckon Des will be looking for a new club ( once salary cap catches up, not saying he's done anything illegal, just a similar pattern to Manly) by the time Rick's contract is up. With a new owner in place by than he'll be looking for the best coach. So what I'm saying is Des for coach 2017.

Noname36

First Grade
Des will never go to a club that isn't "privileged".

On the plus side of all of this watching the Dogs go down tonight after Mata'utia-gate was very satisfying :cool:

Alex28

Coach
If the NRL aren't sending our management off to Souths to learn how to bring your club from the depths to become the benchmark on and off the field they aren't doing the right thing by us. As our owners.

Noname36

First Grade
I am surprised how badly the dogs got found out, they really have nothing

Their whole game plan revolves around bullying the opposition through the forwards. When they came up against a superior forward pack they didn't have a response. I thought they were tough to hang in there but they're not in Souths league. I feel Souths/Roosters would have been a more balanced GF.

Nuffy

Bench
If the NRL aren't sending our management off to Souths to learn how to bring your club from the depths to become the benchmark on and off the field they aren't doing the right thing by us. As our owners.

Great point, I was thinking myself that if this wasn't the blueprint for Newcastle then nothing is.

You'd hope that Mids would be staring work tomorrow on the framework for the renaissance of the Knights but I just don't think he has it in him.

Plus we don't have a board yet to provide the necessary oversight.

Can I also say that the NRL just don't give a shit, I noticed tonight on the season summary, we didn't get a look in, seems pretty typical.

Nuffy

Bench
Their whole game plan revolves around bullying the opposition through the forwards. When they came up against a superior forward pack they didn't have a response. I thought they were tough to hang in there but they're not in Souths league. I feel Souths/Roosters would have been a more balanced GF.

They were rubbish, such a crap effort. They fluked their way into the GF.

perverse

Referee
Just an interesting fact that I observed this morning... only Canberra and Cronulla have waited longer than us for their next Grand Final appearance.

Noname36

First Grade
I don't know what's more depressing. That or the rumours that AK47m may be heading back.

TheViking

Juniors
No one flukes their way into the big one.

They were bad but the scoreline flattered South Sydney.

Exactly, the more you sit back and look at the big picture.

Hodkinson injured his knee couple weeks back. Hasn't kicked goals or in play for 2 weeks.

Reynolds popped his shoulder out in the first few minutes.

Ennis and Kasiano out, Pritchard has played 3 games in 25+ weeks.

They did very well to hang with Souths and at 50 odd minutes looked on top. The class of Inglis, Burgess, George etc just blew it out. The final 7 minutes they scored 3 trys. The fact they eliminated 3 teams to make it their shows they deserved to be there. They just weren't good enough for the Bunnies on the day.

perverse

Referee
Jeezus how depressing
Yep, esteemed company.

Of the clubs that have actually won a premiership, we're also 3rd last on the wait to the next one. Of course, that excludes the Warriors, Titans, Sharks and the Cowboys... but we're still 11th overall. The Warriors and Cowboys would have to be a better chance of winning their first before our next one I would think, too.

Exactly, the more you sit back and look at the big picture.

Hodkinson injured his knee couple weeks back. Hasn't kicked goals or in play for 2 weeks.

Reynolds popped his shoulder out in the first few minutes.

Ennis and Kasiano out, Pritchard has played 3 games in 25+ weeks.

They did very well to hang with Souths and at 50 odd minutes looked on top. The class of Inglis, Burgess, George etc just blew it out. The final 7 minutes they scored 3 trys. The fact they eliminated 3 teams to make it their shows they deserved to be there. They just weren't good enough for the Bunnies on the day.

Burgess played a whole game with a fractured cheek bone! Tyrell knocked out. The Bulldogs were destroyed by a far better side.

Latest posts