What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's wrong with the Knights?

blaine train

Juniors
There seems to be alot of talk about the New Zealand Knights being kicked out of the A-League. Who else thinks that this won't happen? Especially with a brand new, multi-million dollar investor, and it also seems the FFA regard them as paramount to the success of the A-League.

Obviously, crowds are a major problem, but I don't know what's wrong with their football. They have some fantastic players (Buari, Gemmill, Duruz, Salley, Johnson), but just can't seem to get it together. I definetly think, given the time to gel, they'll become a formidable side.

So is there any NZ supporters on this board who can give an insight into why NZ can't get a crowd? Is it lack of success, too few NZ players in the team, not enough marketing? I think if done right, NZ can be a huge asset to the A-League, as it opens up another whole base to get TV money and the like from.

One thing I think that needs to be done before this can be achieved, however, is NZ joining the Asian confederation. It seems a bit pointless for them to be in the A-League if they can't qualify for the ultimate prize, ACL qualification. Especially down the track, it's going to be hard for them to attract players who would prefer to put themselves in the shop window that is the ACL.

So is there any NZ fans that can give some feedback on crowd issues?

shiznit

Coach
Football in NZ will continue to go down the drain as long as we keep targeting the same people.

Football in NZ is an elite sport for the rich kids where parents dont want there kids playing rugby/league because they will get hurt by the bigger polynesian boys. I had a season out of rugby and decided i would give Football a go. i found a club but i ended up quitting at the end of the season because alot of the parents didnt like me playing and i ended up being left out in the cold. my point is Football in NZ is very much an exclusive thing. mainly for white kids.

unfortunately though for them NZ tend to do really well in the sports that the more atheletic and powefull polynesian kids play like Rugby, League & Netball. Cricket falls under the same boat as Football but in crickets favour they are our main summer game and are already entrenched in the NZ. Football needs to find its feet. as soon as we start seeing lower socio-economic poly kids playing football and getting into these rep sides the knights will never get a REAL fanbase. at the moment most Knight fans are pommy or yarpy expats who live on the north shore and support any football.

to sum up... its pretty much a class thing.. the way football is in this country at all levels allienates itself from the best athletes in the country. as soon as you fix that in this country you will fix the Knights.

perth sharkie

Juniors
shiznit said:
Football in NZ will continue to go down the drain as long as we keep targeting the same people.

Football in NZ is an elite sport for the rich kids where parents dont want there kids playing rugby/league because they will get hurt by the bigger polynesian boys. I had a season out of rugby and decided i would give Football a go. i found a club but i ended up quitting at the end of the season because alot of the parents didnt like me playing and i ended up being left out in the cold. my point is Football in NZ is very much an exclusive thing. mainly for white kids.

unfortunately though for them NZ tend to do really well in the sports that the more atheletic and powefull polynesian kids play like Rugby, League & Netball. Cricket falls under the same boat as Football but in crickets favour they are our main summer game and are already entrenched in the NZ. Football needs to find its feet. as soon as we start seeing lower socio-economic poly kids playing football and getting into these rep sides the knights will never get a REAL fanbase. at the moment most Knight fans are pommy or yarpy expats who live on the north shore and support any football.

to sum up... its pretty much a class thing.. the way football is in this country at all levels allienates itself from the best athletes in the country. as soon as you fix that in this country you will fix the Knights.

Very strange this...in most parts of the world football is the working class game! And in places like England, Australia and South Africa, rugby is the elitist code!

shiznit

Coach
and thats exactly why NZ suck so badly at Football and are good at Rugby & League. its my honest opinion that if NZ were to get the Poly kids playing football we could be a very good and entertaing side. just look at our rugby and league sides. poly kids play sports with so much flair and self belief. they are big, athletic and quick... very similar to brazilians.

i heard che bunce of the all whites say when they played brazil in the lead up to the football world cup this year they were shocked at how big and athletic these guys were. i really believe football is a sport poly kids would excell in.

im not saying its exclusive to one type of race or anything.... just that when polynesian's play most sports they have a flair that ive only really seen in south americans when they play football. just look at the warriors or the kiwis when theyre playing league... absolutely stunning when they start throwing the ball around. they do it for the fun. similiar to the likes of Ronahldhinio etc... very very instinctive sort of play.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
perth sharkie said:
Very strange this...in most parts of the world football is the working class game! And in places like England, Australia and South Africa, rugby is the elitist code!

True. But don't you actually think the general trend is strange? I mean, rugby is obviously a more rugged and physical game than football and hence you'd expect it to appear more to the, ermmm, "common man".

blaine train

Juniors
novacastrian_panther said:
I think that the main problem is the small population that NZ have (4 mill).

Auckland has a larger population than the likes of Gosford and Newcastle, and while those places have large surrounding areas, so does Auckland.

Also, just wondering shiznit, do the Knights attract any support from elsewhere on the north island?

Dragooner

Bench
I don't think they will be kicked out of the comp.

I heard that NZ can't be kicked out of the A-League for several years because they had an agreement with the FFA stating that they can't be dropped from the A-League. I don't know how true this is but.

I personally think that the A-League should keep NZ in the comp and bring in some other teams like a Wollongong and Darwin team. This would extend the competition and even more fans would get involved. This would even give NZ a better chance of winning a game.

shiznit

Coach
blaine train said:
Auckland has a larger population than the likes of Gosford and Newcastle, and while those places have large surrounding areas, so does Auckland.

Also, just wondering shiznit, do the Knights attract any support from elsewhere in the north island?

not that i know of... maybe in sections of wellington and in the south island perhaps. but you wouldnt know because the knights dont premote the game very well outside of auckland... theres no easy fix for the knights.

they need to win reguarly and make a finals run. and they need a star player who the public recognise. they also need to be led by a kiwi. Ryan Nielsen of blackburn would be good. but hes got it good at the moment in the premier league and would be crazy to give up a starting spot in the premier league for the A-League.

but rovers are tipped by many to drop at seasons end so he could be tempted to become a marquee player for nz. hes led DC united to the MLS title a few times in the USA and hes captained nz. hes also captained blackburn in the FA Cup so he will bring not only experience to the knights but will also bring credibility.

AuckMel

Bench
Would a team of Kiwi players be any worse than this rabble?

Probably, but at least it "might" help the game.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
blaine train said:

We (The Jets) also struggle for crowds..

Blaze

Juniors
I don't want to state the obvious here but what they are crying out for is someone with a f**king brain to take over the show... hopefully with a lot of cash behind him and he needs to recruit quality players!

This is our last chance... I seriously hope that someone with a bit of ability takes over and turns this around.