What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's wrong with the Warriors this year?

One Warrior

Bench
So where do Warriors fans rate that win? Top 5 at least.

They had good shape in attack despite a host of injuries. Put on 22 against the best defensive team of the century. Forwards and senior players all stood up.

Their run to the grand final starts here.
I'd probably rate it as the bravest win in Warrior's history, down 7 players from our probable best 13, losing our captain two days before the game and Egan 10 minutes into the game, two others go off for HIA's and against the reigning premiers, given the slump we were in, arguably our greatest regular season win.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I'd probably rate it as the bravest win in Warrior's history, down 7 players from our probable best 13, losing our captain two days before the game and Egan 10 minutes into the game, two others go off for HIA's and against the reigning premiers, given the slump we were in, arguably our greatest regular season win.
Funnily enough the other one is rate up there was also against the Panthers, it was at Penrith a decade or two ago and we won with somethibg like 30% possession and a host of dodgy refereeing decisions.

captainwarrior

Juniors
Funnily enough the other one is rate up there was also against the Panthers, it was at Penrith a decade or two ago and we won with somethibg like 30% possession and a host of dodgy refereeing decisions.
Remember that game. Was 2010, and we won 12-6 after defending our line for majority of the second half. From memory Manu scored a good try from a bomb too.

Leber

Bench
Remember that game. Was 2010, and we won 12-6 after defending our line for majority of the second half. From memory Manu scored a good try from a bomb too.
Yup. They were on our line continuously for the last 12 minutes.

I wonder if there are highlights somewhere.

firechild

First Grade
So, after reading the last 4 pages, it's good to finally see a consensus in LU. Seems we all agree that it was karma for SJ's dive.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yea man, and it’s become an eyesore. We used to laugh at footballers for this shit.
Don’t disagree there. The problem is the rules are black and white now. “Head high” used to mean forceful contact with the head, if it was an inconsequential stray hand they let it go. Now it’s picked apart on video and ruled strictly on point of contact. Same with other offences.

MKCS

Juniors
The injury toll definitely hurts the Warriors but even on their best day I think they've got players they don't necessarily need and a few positional issues.

Shaun Johnson for example, he had a great 2023 which was a surprise but lets face facts, the bloke is 33 years old, players struggle at that age and they're still relying on him as a key marquee half when he just isn't really that anymore. Maybe if they had a genuine young marquee half and Johnson joining them in the halves they'd have a chance but I don't see a 33 year old Johnson steering a side to a comp.

RTS is another one, maybe it's just nostalgia but I remember him being so dangerous at fullback and just tearing teams apart, now he's a decent centre? Doesn't make sense in even having him on the roster if he isn't going to play fullback if you ask me. Klokstad will be okay playing centre or in the halves or off the bench.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yea man, and it’s become an eyesore. We used to laugh at footballers for this shit.
Yeah, it sucks. Most players don't indulge in it, but some are recidivists. DWZ is one who loves a lay down for a penalty. I'd say that the Bunker has to see it in real time and then they can look quickly to try to disprove it, otherwise play on.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Now that we have kept the magic going for consecutive weeks of unlikely wins with patchwork teams, I'm wondering if it has just been too many players trying to play through injury (hence the month of "slow motion" footy prior to Magic Round) and Webby not necessarily trusting the less experienced players to step up until forced to?

Probably a bunch of other variables, but the spark of energetic enthusiasm this past fortnight has been plainly obvious to see, and makes for much more enjoyable viewing.

Hoping there is now more trust and confidence around the team, for star players to rest when needed, knowing the young'uns can step in and play well.

Team naming post bye will be interesting.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Now that we have kept the magic going for consecutive weeks of unlikely wins with patchwork teams, I'm wondering if it has just been too many players trying to play through injury (hence the month of "slow motion" footy prior to Magic Round) and Webby not necessarily trusting the less experienced players to step up until forced to?

Probably a bunch of other variables, but the spark of energetic enthusiasm this past fortnight has been plainly obvious to see, and makes for much more enjoyable viewing.

Hoping there is now more trust and confidence around the team, for star players to rest when needed, knowing the young'uns can step in and play well.

Team naming post bye will be interesting.
Yeah pretty much this I think. Webster is still a rookie coach and he was probably overly reluctant to rest core players (SJ and Tohu particularly) and knowing those two they probably wanted to play on as well.
With any luck once they come back to full fitness this whole period will result in a much stronger side overall- it’s certainly proven our depth and as better than we realised.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Injured/tired players and a tired and predictable game plan.

Having all these players out has actually played to Webster’s strengths - relying on a team effort, backs against the wall attitude and squeezing the most out of players’ limitations. Still yet to see whether he can actually stay ahead of the competition when trying to make a good team great.

Latest posts