What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When are we saying goodbye to GB?

Sun_Down

Juniors
I know that someone in the RFL said a few months ago that they would be splitting up GB. But what date was assumed?

DIEHARD

----
I believe they will split for the 2008 World Cup and from then on be seperate, at least that was Richard Lewis' idea.

I don't want to lose the Lions. I hope they remain for tours at least! We can't surrender the Lions brand to Union, we had it first!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think its a good idea to have them seperate just for WC, and maybe other internationals. But Great Britain is a MUST.

England and Wales have strong sides, but Ireland and Scotland dont have as much depth as the other two. Thats why its best to keep them as one country.

aussies1st

Staff member
Would be interesting seeing how England go alone. The GB tour is still cheerished so wouldn't make much difference if GB is keep or not after the WC.

ledzep

Bench
i dont see what the problem is keeping them as GB, seeing that is the actual country, and they are much stronger as GB

DIEHARD

----
roosterbooster1 said:
i dont see what the problem is keeping them as GB, seeing that is the actual country, and they are much stronger as GB

I think it has to do with the financial carrot offered by Sports England to represent as "England".

screeny

Bench
Also you have so much development work going on in the HNs and Ireland that the sport needs to reward their effort by giving them independent status. The sport wins in the long run with independently operating Irish, Welsh and Scottish RLs, doing their own development work, running their own domestic championships, playing each other etc.

PARANoIR

Bench
I agree in having them separate for the WC, but that's where it should stop, they should play as GB for everything else.

ozboy

Juniors
There are not enough decent players for GB to split permanently into England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland and remain at a fairly competitive level.

bender

Juniors
ozboy said:
There are not enough decent players for GB to split permanently into England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland and remain at a fairly competitive level.
1. Wellens
2. Pryce
3. Senior
4. Gleeson
5. Raynor
6. McGuire
7. Long
13. Seinfield
12. Peacock
11. Sculthorpe
10. Fielden
9. Diskin
8. Morley

How is this side not "as competitive" as GB?

ozboy

Juniors
What were the scores the last time GB played Australia, both home and away.

While you are at it, type out the Scotland, Ireland and Welsh teams and show us how competitive these teams would be.

Ozboy....I think bender does have a point.

I mean....how can those 13 players he named which are not as good as last years GB side that was thrashed by 40 points at home......how can they now be called competitive! :D

bender

Juniors
ozboy said:
What were the scores the last time GB played Australia, both home and away.

While you are at it, type out the Scotland, Ireland and Welsh teams and show us how competitive these teams would be.

Isnt that the whole point I made? Which Scottish, Irish and Welsh players are so much better than their English counterparts to suggest that taking them out of the Great Britain team will effect the English's chances of winning in any way. Put Simply, Great Britain (you can argue the percentage) have a 25% chance of beating Australia, and England have a 25% chance of beating Australia.

And by the way, Wales have made the semi-finals of the last 2 world cups held. that is a lot better than France, Lebannon, PNG, Samoa and Tonga (with their NRL stars) etc. And these are the teams that the HOme nations other than England will play. It is unlikely that they will regularly play Australia. History, also shows that Ireland and Scotland have competed at a decent level, when given the chance and when they draw on all of their players.

griff

Bench
Going into 2012, there will be much more emphasis on GB as a sporting brand, so to move away from it now would be stupid

bender

Juniors
nospam49™ said:
JUST as the GB Lions were getting some brand recignition...they get rid of them.

STUPID! :x

No, but when they do tour (every 4 or 8 years) it will be a huge event and they will get massive crowds. In theory at least.

SalfordRedsWA

Juniors
Sun_Down said:
I know that someone in the RFL said a few months ago that they would be splitting up GB. But what date was assumed?

Its a completely rediculous idea and hope pressure causes it to be abandoned. GB is my nation, not 'england' or 'Wales'. I for one would protest.

screeny

Bench
SalfordRedsWA said:
Its a completely rediculous idea and hope pressure causes it to be abandoned. GB is my nation, not 'england' or 'Wales'. I for one would protest.

Would you rather all the development that's been done in the HNs and Ireland be scrapped, or greatly reduced, as the volunteers there believe they're wasting their time?

We owe it to the sport of RL to embrace as much development as possible, and by sticking with GB we will ostracise the HNs. Look at the Irish league, 13 clubs and growing, the Welsh league as won the RLC for the past three years, and the Scots do so much foreign development touring work.

If these countries were told 'sorry, we're sticking with GB' they'd pack it in......