What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When we were kids

L

legend

Mine was much the same Roopy. I was about five or six when I saw my first game and I thought all the sides used to play together on the same ground. That means the field would be filled with 156 players at one time. What a game that would be.

imported_Kaon

Juniors
I started playing football at school when i was about 5 or 6. One day my parents happened to be walking past the playground where we were playing and my dad came up to me and smacked me in the head.

Because my parents are from India, they thought i was in a fight. I can't actually remember that but my mum tells me that's what happened.

L

legend

Haha, what a crackup. I can just imagine it. A little kid running around and then his old man comes in and smacks him in the head and is probably lead home by the ear.

T

tigger

Legend - I must congratulate you on this site, i hope it stays small but solid. This site will be awesome if there is only 100 members, but everyone contributes instead of lurking....

This may well be like the WORL when i first joined.

Bronco started this discussion before, i think it got 5 replies before being sent into the abyss by Girdler posts.

I presume we have a no girlder post policy here? If not, i suggest it gets through parliament ASAP!

L

legend

I think it would be unanimous that Girdler groupies would be outlawed if they decided to come across. It's like a sexual revolution. Hopefully they are happy where they are and wouldn't feel the need to come over. We're all too ugly anyway.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Big Bopper, I have to admit that the first game of footy I saw was on the pitch and not on TV.
Apart from the goings on at the local Wheat Park, my Dad thought it was time to educate into the ways of being a Newtown supporter when I was 'about' 6 years old.

Unfortunately for my ol' man, he took me to see Newtown play St George.
My Dad and his mates were pointing out all the great Newtown players and even pressed the point that Johnny Raper used to play for the Bluebags.
Buton this particular day I saw Johnny King skirt down the sideline and score one the greatest solos tries you could ever hope to see.
No kidding, I can't remember much more about that day, or that year for that matter but I do remember that try and the flashy red vee of the St George jumper.
My Dad has never lived it down and has been careful to steer his grand kids clear of any Broncos matches. :)

T

The Dawson Twins Minus 1

Aha! I knew it! I always thought you were too well-bred to be a Saints supporter...

Your Dad & his mates didn't add Poppa Clay to their list, did they? Yet another filched from the 'Bags by the Red & White behemoth....

Still, could have been worse - I was born in Newtown and my folks moved at an early age to Arncliffe - therefore grew up a 'Bags supporter in the St George area in the sixties. Sigh.

Remember dreading the question from other kids in the playground: "who do you support?"

As soon as the word "Newtown" left my lips I knew what was coming:
"We've just won 11 premierships on the trot... blah, blah, blah..."

Scarred me for life.

Still, at least I don't have to rub shoulders with the Skull at home games...

Regards,
TDT-1

You know Dawson you summed up Willow to perfection there, he's still incessantly bragging about the 77 GF, eventells all his neighbours. I bet he was one of those kids in the schoolyard :eek:)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
TDT-1: Good to see you here mate.
Yes, I come from very high class stock!
What can I say? You picked me in one.
But when I was a kid, I knew the difference between a winner and loser. Unfortunately, I don't recall ever seeing Poppa Clay play but you're right on that point as well. Another bloke who could boast a fine heritage.
Needless to say, I will always hold the Bluebags close to my heart for showing me the light.

Rasputin, It's been a long time in between drinks so you'll have to let me brag about something. :eek:)
twenty-two-to-nil.

Willow,
You finked on your Dad's team! You are obviously too young to understand loyalty.
It was a bit different with me. My parents didn't follow footy until I got them hooked on Souths - they both remained devoted Bunnies for the rest of their lives.
Cheers
Bigbopper Â

H

Hass

At least no-one has done what I did (or at least I hope I'm the only one). After winning this footy game in about U/12's we decided it would be a good idea to roll down the hill adjacent to the ground.

Being pretty enthusiastic about the victory I led the charge................and after rolling over, let's say about 35 times I got to the bottom and realised I was completely covered in Bindies. Let me put it this way- no-one else was silly enough to roll down that hill.

P.S. Yes, it hurt!

Cheers.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Bopper:
Finked on my Dad's team? Loyalty? Hmmm, I take that as tongue in cheek.

Mr Mustang

Juniors
I remember as a10 year old kid moving from Melbourne to Sydney. The year 1979. Starting at a new school and one of the first questions asked was which footy team I supported. Well the kid who asked me supported the sharks and told me there was a game that weekend. Penrith V Sharks. I went for the sharks and they beat the good old chocolate soldiers.

I started playing football that year in Primary school and they gave us cards so we could attend all local penrith games. We used to go to all the local games and during the game grab old cardboard boxes and slide down the hill. I kept playing up until my late teens.

Those were the days. Since that day I have supported the Eels and have always been number 1 in my books.

Today it's different. Today's it going to a game with a few friends and on the odd occasion the family. Spending inexcess of 100 bucks and wondering where all the money went to.

I still love the game and always will. but it would be nice to see it as a kid again.

My first involvement in League was proably like a lot of other forum members. I grew up in a working class family in a working class area where league was ( and still is ) much loved. My entire family were mad Canterbury supporters and that, along with watching my brother play all the time, is where I developed my love of the game. I began playing at 5 years old and I haven't stopped to this very day. My hero was Terry Lamb, but I also had a soft spot for Ian Schubert and the Wests Magpies in the mid 80's as well.Most of my best life experiences have involved footy.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Actually Rasputin, I didn't mind being called 'too young' at all. LOL.
Ahhh yes, I remember the days when I was asked last for ID when entering a pub. Now theyask just to humour me.
Good on you Bopper. Remind me again of the petulance of youth. ;)

As a kid, my RL memories revolve around being a Steelers fan. Each weekend going to the Wollongong showground watching them getting thumped, then copping baggings from school mates for following the Sheilas instead of Parra (who all miraculously became Steelers fans in the early 90s). It was great times though, when ever there was a win it was the best thing in the world - even if it was just Wests. I even remember one year we beat Souths in round one and was top of the table on for & against. The table was cut out of the paper and stuck to my wardrobe for a couple of years !!

R

roostergirl

First taste of League was when i lived in Brissy & used to go to the local games at Brothers, Valleys, West Mitchy & Arana. Luckily the schhols I have been too were very strong at League so my love for the game kept growing.

S

stormsally

My first game of RL I was a reluctant spectator, in fact a reluctant sports spectator of any code. I was excited by the buzz of the crowd, amused by the cheer girlies, surprised by the fireworks, deafened by the music. The ground was filling fast, and there was a crowd outside trying to get tickets. Then the team came onto the ground, and I was amazed that everyone around me seemed to know what was going on. At halftime they opened the gate to let in all those stuck outside (most who had pre-paid for tickets) and they sat on the running track. Storm's first home game, and I'm sure many Storm supporters first game.

The innocence of the young doesn't die. My kids aren't sports mad (I bribed my 7yo to come to matches by buying him a pie at half time) but they have fond memories of kicking the footy up the grassed bank at OP, or rolling down it very fast. There is something to be said for grounds where there is a bit of grass and somewhere for the kids to muck around almost in sight of Mum & Dad. The first sight of Colonial my youngest asked "where's the grass?" but he still manages to find somewhere to kick the footy! At a recent Footy Day at school, my eldest donned his Essendon jumper, with a Storm top underneath, but my youngest kitted himself out in ALL the Storm gear he could get his hands on and was a real sight. Everyone in his Primary School knows who he goes for and who the Storm are!

My first 'so called' memory was going out to Penrith park in 1986 to watch the dogs go around against the panthers. I don't remember alot about the game, although it was a big family get together and from memory the dogs scratched up a win :)
MY first vivid memories of league were the days at Belmore. Probably from about 1989, going to belmore was a regular occurence. There was always a great atmosphere, no matter whether u sat on the hill or on the grandstand side. It had a real traditional atmosphere, the fans were always biased and loud, and there was always a feeling that the dogs could beat anyone under those conditions. I still have memories of Mitch Newton trying to convert a penalty goal one night and he ended up kicking one of the worst kicks...EVER! I also remember Baa's 'supposed' last game there back in 1995. It was a tremendous occasion, we thumped the cowboys on that day (66-4 from memory) and it was a great day for the blue and whites...
The Fan.