What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where do the Top 14 get all their money?

PaddyBoy

Juniors
I had a look over the Top 14 the other day and they have an 8.7 million Euro salary cap, yet their TV deal is smaller than the one the NRL has now, get smaller crowds (on average and overall) and only a few teams can play in the Heineken Cup each year.

Where is all the money coming from? The TV deal is $US228 mil over 5 years (just under 100 mil less than the SANZAR deal), not even enough for close to half the salaries of the players :crazy:.

shiznit

Coach
i often winder that too... i suppose each club would be different... but they are privately run clubs... so they do have the option of having rich owners to prop them up.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
i often winder that too... i suppose each club would be different... but they are privately run clubs... so they do have the option of having rich owners to prop them up.

To that extent? That has to artificially distort the international player market to a ridiculous extent.

If we snagged a billion dollar tv deal it would be the equivalent of having a $40 Million salary cap!

Why doesn't the IRB place restrictions on this stuff, no wonder Australia is losing so many talented players.

Big Sam

First Grade
I know at least Toulon, Stade Francais, Racing Metro, and Perpignan are privately owned.

The two Basque clubs have a system where fans can purchase ownership in the club for a few grand similar to the 'Socio' system in Spanish football/soccer. Not sure about the rest. I guess Toulouse and Clermont would make a lot on merchandise and ticket sales as the city owns their stadium and doesn't charge much rent.

Another thing to consider is that the French RU might make a lot on TV rights for the French XV and some of that may get passed on, although they are completely separate from the LNR. I'm sure a lot of the WC money did get passed around too.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
To that extent? That has to artificially distort the international player market to a ridiculous extent.

If we snagged a billion dollar tv deal it would be the equivalent of having a $40 Million salary cap!

Why doesn't the IRB place restrictions on this stuff, no wonder Australia is losing so many talented players.

:lol:

what on earth can the IRB do??

each country is free to run there domestic competitions as they please.

the IRB run the international game.

PaddyBoy

Juniors

what on earth can the IRB do??

each country is free to run there domestic competitions as they please.

the IRB run the international game.

Similar to what UEFA is doing. Clubs can only spend a certain percentage of revenue on players to stop teams artificially warping the player market. It has a ripple effect and can send other clubs broke.

And if not the IRB then someone.

shiznit

Coach
Similar to what UEFA is doing. Clubs can only spend a certain percentage of revenue on players to stop teams artificially warping the player market. It has a ripple effect and can send other clubs broke.

And if not the IRB then someone.

UEFA??

do you even follow football??

i think your referring to financial fair play...

all the big clubs are just ignoring it... as soon UEFA starts to bring the hammer down on the big clubs the G14 will threaten to create a European Super League and UEFA will back down.

and even then RU is a different beast.... the IRB have control over the international game... so effectively they have an impact on the FFR... but the clubs have they're own union which runs the top 14... i think they're called the LNR.

if the IRB or the FFR decide to get too heavy with the french clubs... the french clubs will refuse to release they're players for international duty.

once again... what can the IRB do??

Gambass

Juniors
lnr.fr/IMG/pdf/Rapport_DNACG_2012-BD.pdf

Here, you'll find everything you need to know (p16)

subventions (grants from various public councils) : 6%
sponsoring : 41%
reversements LNR (TV rights mainly) : 13%
recettes matchs (stadium revenue) : 21%
ventes de marchandises (merchandising) : 9%
Autres produits (French RU mainly) : 5%
Transferts de charges (some magic bookkeeping trick that I don't know how to translate) : 5%

Each club is privately owned, but only Clermont and Toulouse own their respective stadium (and yes, in the other cases, cities dont charge much of a rent).

Hope it helped :)

Latest posts