What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where do we really stand so far this season?

Chachi

Bench
Well, we've made it to our bye round with 4 wins from 9 games. We've shown some good form against the likes of Newcastle and Penrith and have also held our own against Melbourne.

Of our 5 losses, 3 have been against the top 2 teams, however the other two were very poor performances against Parramatta and Cronulla. On the other hand, we are yet to beat any of the premiership contenders (IMO).

On the upside we've seen Dobbo show glimpses of why he could be the man to lead the team for years to come. On top of that we've also had Zillman, Milne, Tilse, Goodwin, Hinchcliffe and Picker show us they could all have an outstanding future with us. Purtell has also been solid (if not spectacular) at centre and we've even seen the likes of Mogg express a desire to return 'home'. Tongue has been mister consistency and is the glue that holds this young team together. I think he's hardly been off the park for one minute this season - extraordinary performance from our new Dean Lance. He's an outstanding leader and a dead set legend in my eyes.

Carney and Costigan have taken the mantle as young leaders of our team, despite their off-field indescretions, and are both starting to show more consistency in their performances. I think we can all see the matchwinning quality in both of these fellas.

Logan has been the buy of the season for us so far IMO. We have looked our most dominant with him and Costigan firing in the middle.

On the downside we've had a serious injury to Graham in his rep debut and have also seen key recruits Bickerstaff, Irwin and Dunemann spend long periods on the sideline. Not to mention Weyman, Chalk, TLL and Thommo. The big losses to Cronulla and Parramatta were also clear indications we're still not up there with the contenders right now, and the capitulation to Manly was a harsh learing experience.

We've also had the releases of Lomu, Pamatangi and Frawley (finally), as well as the dropping of Howell, Dobson and Best for poor form. Learoyd-Lahrs has also been inconsistent as has Withers and Thompson although we are slowly seeing better form from all three as the season progresses.

On the whole, a mixed start to the season as a 4-5 record would suggest. Having said that I've been loving every minute of it so far. In each new game I can see areas of improvement and although we've played some pretty poor footy at times, we've also shown that we can put it together like the green machine of old on our day too.

The Dragons game is set to be a blinder and could become a season defining one for us if we manage to crack a 50% record for the first time this season.

Sorry about the monster post, but I just had to get it out there! It's hard not to get excited with so many freakishly talented young players coming through at once. They all seem to want to play and succeed with us long term and I just hope we can hold onto them.

I'm lovin' this team!

mongoose

Coach
I watched the souths game again and although we played terribly i thought we were always in control. If we make the finals which is highly possible and have a bit of momentum i seriously think we could be a contender this year.

Chachi

Bench
Yeah, I agree with the momentum thing. With this young team it's all about confidence. I thought our first 20 minutes against souths also showed a great deal of patience and maturity - which we also showed in the last 10 minutes. That and the defensive effort are the two things I've had doubts about and they have now proven to me that they're capable of it.

Doing it consistently for 80 minutes is another matter - but after 10 years the pieces of the puzzle are finally coming together again.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I think we're in a very a good position to make a charge at the 8. For a young team that had to gel quickly I think they've achieved alot.

The back half of the season should see consitency kick in and I think more wins than losses. We'll get the 2 points from the bye and should hopefully knock off the Dragons next Friday which will put us in good stead and possibly the 8.

For a season with no expectations I've really enjoyed watching this side grow.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I said at the start of the season that i would be estatic if we had won 4 of our first 10 games
we've done it in 9, add the bye and we are 50% for a team picked to easily win the spoon, thats top shelf

add to that our run over the next few weeks is ok, we could easily win 3-4 on the trott if we play anywhere near our best.

We will come home with a wet sail, if we are within 2 wins of the top 8 coming into round 16, we'll get there imo, we're only going to get better and more consistant as the weeks roll on and the last 10 games is when you will see us hit us straps for his season, which might be good enough for a top 8 spot. But at the least it will be a great launching pad for season 2008

jed

First Grade
Our form's still too erratic for my liking. When we're playing well (against Storm, Knights, Roosters, Panthers) we are looking like top 8 material, but when we're bad (Eels, Sharks, Manly) we're diabolical, and look like genuine contenders for the spoon.

That said, I can see we're building to something, and our players are starting to find their feet in a (mostly) new team, under a new first-time coach, and I am excited to see what the future holds.

sydraider

First Grade
jed said:
Our form's still too erratic for my liking. When we're playing well (against Storm, Knights, Roosters, Panthers) we are looking like top 8 material, but when we're bad (Eels, Sharks, Manly) we're diabolical, and look like genuine contenders for the spoon.

That said, I can see we're building to something, and our players are starting to find their feet in a (mostly) new team, under a new first-time coach, and I am excited to see what the future holds.

Spot on Mr Jed!

Raiding Dazz

Juniors
im going to put money on them next week at 7/1 for the eight,that is awesome odds.
it might drop though if it works out we are ninth by next week which is very possible.

dubby

Bench
Good post Chachi.

I concur with jed. There is still too much inconsistency for my liking, up one game and waaayyy down the next. However, considering the number of injuries to the team and our lack of depth in the backs, I am happy to be on 4 wins.

The inconsistency thing really stems from having a very young and what I believe to be a halves pairing that still struggles to come to grips on organising and running a team it this level. It is not an easy thing to do, but I forget that nearlly all our backline is under 100 games per player in the NRL! I havent checked, but I bet most are under 50! So we are yet to see the best out of Dobbo, Carney, Zillman, Milne, Turtell and Chalk.

That is an exciting prospect.

Our forwards seem to lack a bit of oompth. They are very solid but seem to lack the penetration I thought they were capable of. Logan has been outstanding and IMO is a vital cog in the pack. Tilse has been patchy, but this kid is only young, in his 1st real season as a starting prop and is coming to grips with the daily grind of the NRL. He will get better, by which I mean consistent. TLL is struggling, his try against Manly shows how strong he is when he runs hard, but big Thom is definately a shadow of himself. Weyman has rep written all over him, TOngue like Chachi said is our 21st Century Dean Lance while I like the looks of Thurling, Picker, Hinchcliffe. Young guns who bring out the best in the older guys. And how good is Costigan? A new crowd favourite in the ACT. The new Muss?

The most disappointing thing for me is the injuries to Bickerstaff, Irwin and Dunemann. APart from Irwin, the rest were to be a vital part of this team in replacing the experience lost by Toots, SHif, Germ, Smithy etc. So far they have done little. We are nearlly 1/3 of the season done and have not seen Bickerstaff. Dunny too has been injury plagued. Little value so far for the team. We could have benefited from their experience in various games.

Also, learning from a new coach (who to me has all the goods to be a brilliant coach) has been harder for the team. Thommo mentioned the differences between Elliot and Henry have been substantial, and this may effect the players.

Game wise; ball control is still awful. It is very poor sometimes. Concentration during games does lapse and I think this stems from a lack of an onfield leader who has the ability to keep his team switched on. Tonguey will grow into this I hope. Maybe the lack of experienced players has led to the periods of lethargy that creep into the games.

All in all, so far I am happy to be on 8 points. I was furious at the losses because when we lose, we lose big.

As the season goes on, I look forward to the next game more. Watch out in 2008!

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
After the first game, I said we'd lost 3 of the first 4, then win 50% of games from there.

I don't think I'll be far wrong.

skeepe

Immortal
dubby said:
It is not an easy thing to do, but I forget that nearlly all our backline is under 100 games per player in the NRL! I havent checked, but I bet most are under 50! So we are yet to see the best out of Dobbo, Carney, Zillman, Milne, Turtell and Chalk.

Last week's backline:

1. William Zillman - 11 matches
2. Bronx Goodwin - 1 match
3. Marshall Chalk - 42 matches
4. Adrian Purtell - 31 matches
5. David Milne - 6 matches
6. Terry Campese - 12 matches
7. Todd Carney - 44 matches

Total: 147 matches, average of just 21.

Other notables:

Michael Dobson - 8 matches
Brett Kelly - 4 matches
David Howell - 55 matches
Colin Best - 134 matches

BSB Raiderman

Juniors
donkey|rope said:
do we really have a player named steve irwin? and if so, is he any good?

Ex Bronco (and leading try scorer from Qld Cup 2006?) recovering from off season knee reconstruction due back soon.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/STEVE IRWIN
irwin.jpg
Date of Birth: 19/06/1983
Hometown: Bundaberg, Qld
Junior Club: Western Suburbs
Height: 185cm
Weight: 103kg
Position: Centre, wing, fullback
First Grade Debut: 2001
Raider’s debut: Yet to play NRL for the Raiders
Career Highlight: Debut
Rep Honours: Australian Schoolboys, Junior Kangaroos
Sporting Hero: Tiger Woods
Favourite Food: Steak
Favourite TV Show: The OC, Laguna Beach
Favourite Movie: Bad Boys 2
Best Memory: Getting on the Melbourne Cup winner
Song that would describe you: TNT – AC/DC
Funniest Teammate: Troy Thompson
If you could invite three people to dinner who would they be: Jessica Simpson, Will Smith, Eva Mendes
What inspires you: My Dad
One word to describe yourself: Dangerous

thickos

First Grade
I'm very happy at making it to the bye with a 4-5 record. If you were to look at that without knowing how the 9 matches panned out, at the start of the year I would have been over the moon with that. I think it has silenced the critics somewhat too. We have proven we will be in the winners' circle (hopefully) every couple of weeks or so.

Looking at the games themselves, the Manly@Canberra match could have easily made us 5-4. That one is a frustrating result but probably a good one in the long term for a young side. Hopefully the one thing they learn from that is against the top sides you can't drop your momentum at all, and at 18-6 we shut off. The Storm loss was encouraging too.

Thankfully with two road wins in a row we seem like we can score points and compete away from Canberra; player-wise some of the senior figures in the side have been disappointing but ones I wouldn't have expected have really stepped up and shone.

Travelling OK and if we can finish 12-12 for 2007 I will be rapt.

julian87

Juniors
I think Irwin will prove very valuable, look at his stats. Reminds me a lot of the signings of Graham and Mogg.

Stuart

Juniors
I pretty much agree with thickos assessment.

After the 'panic' about the ammount of experience we've lost its been really interesting how dissapointing many of our experienced players have been. Its been our young inexperiecned players who have really stepped up and lead the team. Carney and Costigan have been very impressive for us, they have really stepped up as leaders of our side, when they play well we play well.

I wouldnt be surprised if we see a number of release's at the end of the season, we've already seen the back of Frawley and if Howell and Best continue playing the way they are i wouldnt be surprised if they go as well, season's end (i hope they are released anyway, i think we should continue with the youth policy and re-sign (keep) Lelei, Sau, Thorley, Stuart, Hinchliffe, Brophy etc and have faith they will be able to step up and become FG'ers...than hang onto fringe FG'ers who will not get better)

Raider_69

Post Whore
Ill tell you now, this Michael Brophy charactor looks the goods, he has been pretty impressive from what ive seen of him, he is a solid prospect for us imo

Hallatia

Referee
yet again, Raiders are a surprise packet, I would serioulsy love to see the premiership going to Canberra this year, nothing can be established this early on and for the last five years Raiders have proved that they do have it in them when nobody believed they could do anything, based on the way other teams are going this year, it is more than possible that Raiders may challenge for the title