What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where do you see us in 5 years

Illusion

Bench
Dragons cleanout needed
You have to feel for poor Dragons fans after another woeful performance from their team in Townsville.

Ben Hunt - backing up from Origin duty 48 hours earlier - was the only Dragon to make any impression whatsoever against the well-drilled Cowboys defence.

Twelve Cowboys players ran for over 100 metres in the game - in contrast not a single Dragons forward reached three figures.

Dragons centre Zac Lomax butchered a flick pass and Cowboys winger Murray Taulagi pounced, swooping on the ball and scoring.
Zac Lomax - considered one of their better players in recent seasons, made five individual errors - and plenty of other Dragons also looked embarrassingly off the pace.

The young Cowboys schooled an ageing Dragons side - and reinforced the message that the Dragons need a massive cleanout.

Sadly, it's a message the coach and officials don't seem to grasp.

denis preston

First Grade
Fellas, I agree that the future looks glum atm but do any of us know what is going on behind the scenes .? This information ( salary cap position, future signings , Boards tolarence of coaches & Harans performance ) are some of the issues we don’t have a clue about. The caustic response to the performance of excellence question is an example of good news but sarcastic comment about it, hence why I believe this thread question only brings out the frustrations of a decade of shittyness from all of us!!

BBTB

Juniors
Dragons cleanout needed
You have to feel for poor Dragons fans after another woeful performance from their team in Townsville.

Ben Hunt - backing up from Origin duty 48 hours earlier - was the only Dragon to make any impression whatsoever against the well-drilled Cowboys defence.

Twelve Cowboys players ran for over 100 metres in the game - in contrast not a single Dragons forward reached three figures.

Dragons centre Zac Lomax butchered a flick pass and Cowboys winger Murray Taulagi pounced, swooping on the ball and scoring.
Zac Lomax - considered one of their better players in recent seasons, made five individual errors - and plenty of other Dragons also looked embarrassingly off the pace.

The young Cowboys schooled an ageing Dragons side - and reinforced the message that the Dragons need a massive cleanout.

Sadly, it's a message the coach and officials don't seem to grasp.
Couldn't watch all the Cowboys game it was a disaster. Turned the game off. We looked like a coachless side with no idea
what so ever. Couldn't tackle,
couldn't pass the ball, and didn't want to run straight.
I think this team is a total basket case, and coaching staff are out of their depth &
going by the results should be sacked immediately.

Illusion

Bench
Fellas, I agree that the future looks glum atm but do any of us know what is going on behind the scenes .? This information ( salary cap position, future signings , Boards tolarence of coaches & Harans performance ) are some of the issues we don’t have a clue about. The caustic response to the performance of excellence question is an example of good news but sarcastic comment about it, hence why I believe this thread question only brings out the frustrations of a decade of shittyness from all of us!!
Mate I don't understand why you have picked out this thread as being negative and frustrating there have been other threads that have been worst, Sack Mary, Sack Hook, All I have asked is where do you see us in 5 years ......

Dragon David

First Grade
Couldn't watch all the Cowboys game it was a disaster. Turned the game off. We looked like a coachless side with no idea
what so ever. Couldn't tackle,
couldn't pass the ball, and didn't want to run straight.
I think this team is a total basket case, and coaching staff are out of their depth &
going by the results should be sacked immediately.
Will this be the same in 5 years time? I don't think so. Five years is a reasonable time but from 2017 to 2022, the journey hasn't been great and the time has passed quickly. 2027 will be on us quicker than you can imagine and in that time much will of course happen which might have great effect on the NRL, who knows.

Given that there is no catastrophic occurrence from now to 2027 and that I'm still around, I see us in a far better position but not a really great one. The current coaches will have long gone and the new ones' deals coming close to either being renewed or mutually ended.

Top 8 finishes in 3 of those future years and of those, maybe 1 top 4.

There, that is how I see us in 5 years time.

Illusion

Bench
Will this be the same in 5 years time? I don't think so. Five years is a reasonable time but from 2017 to 2022, the journey hasn't been great and the time has passed quickly. 2027 will be on us quicker than you can imagine and in that time much will of course happen which might have great effect on the NRL, who knows.

Given that there is no catastrophic occurrence from now to 2027 and that I'm still around, I see us in a far better position but not a really great one. The current coaches will have long gone and the new ones' deals coming close to either being renewed or mutually ended.

Top 8 finishes in 3 of those future years and of those, maybe 1 top 4.

There, that is how I see us in 5 years time.
Mate lets make sure we are all around in 2027 and still giving our opinions , whether we agree or disagree ......

denis preston

First Grade
Mate I don't understand why you have picked out this thread as being negative and frustrating there have been other threads that have been worst, Sack Mary, Sack Hook, All I have asked is where do you see us in 5 years ......
The positive in me says the Pathways program is a massive success and we are at least top 4 and threatening. The negative in me has doubts the present coaching staff will improve nothing & their employers will react too slow as usual. I hope pathways wins !

Illusion

Bench
The positive in me says the Pathways program is a massive success and we are at least top 4 and threatening. The negative in me has doubts the present coaching staff will improve nothing & their employers will react too slow as usual. I hope pathways wins !
I hope we do start to see improvement , and start our rise to the top ...... Time will tell mate .....👍

beecww

Juniors
justadragon , its not just after the loss to Cowboys , I have been feeling this since the days of Price , Mary , its nothing to do with yesterdays loss ...... Denis has come out and said it sets up negative responses , nothing to do with that , its just I haven't seen anything over the last 6 years or so to show that we are heading out of the black hole we are in ...... If people are happy to win a game here and there , then good for them and all respect ...... What frightens me most for this once Mighty Club is that the CEO , Board , Coaching staff have no idea how to get out of this ..... Hook has not worked out , and I was hopeful for us when he had taken over ..... Somebody give me some hope that we will or are heading in the right direction , because I cant see it ......
I wish I could offer some hope. I don't often write on here because I am 76 years old and I went from 10 years old to 20, without knowing what it was like to lose. Now I have gone from 66 to 76 without knowing what it is like to win. Since 2012 to 2021 our average finish has been 11th, with a 7th an 8th and 2 9ths our top finishes.
The problem that I see is a dysfunctional board. How can you have a president from one side in charge for 3 years be replaced by another from the other side for the next 3. This is not the function of a united board....this is lunacy. In this time we have recruited app over 60 players, with, in my opinion, only Ah Mau,Frizell, Dugan, Widdop, Thompson, Sims, McInnes, Graham, and Hunt, adding any benefit to our roster. My biggest gripe though, is losing Demetriou in favour of McGregor. I hear that Griffin had a lot to do with Penrith pathways. I hope so ....in 2012 they finished 15th...let there be light.

Jersey No 14

Juniors
In five years time
I will own the Dragon.
I'll be a dictator with no boards - yet a game show host with Monster chicks hanging off my hip
You guys will have your own section @ Kogarah and the gong to talk and add power to St. George way of life :and the team will be run by Flanagan and we will be looking at a 2nd comps in a row.

Welcome to the New World Order.

Dragon David

First Grade
I wish I could offer some hope. I don't often write on here because I am 76 years old and I went from 10 years old to 20, without knowing what it was like to lose. Now I have gone from 66 to 76 without knowing what it is like to win. Since 2012 to 2021 our average finish has been 11th, with a 7th an 8th and 2 9ths our top finishes.
The problem that I see is a dysfunctional board. How can you have a president from one side in charge for 3 years be replaced by another from the other side for the next 3. This is not the function of a united board....this is lunacy. In this time we have recruited app over 60 players, with, in my opinion, only Ah Mau,Frizell, Dugan, Widdop, Thompson, Sims, McInnes, Graham, and Hunt, adding any benefit to our roster. My biggest gripe though, is losing Demetriou in favour of McGregor. I hear that Griffin had a lot to do with Penrith pathways. I hope so ....in 2012 they finished 15th...let there be light.
Welcome back beecww. Wow you certainly haven't been around for a while on this Forum but what you have just said is basically what most have been saying in different ways of course.

We like to reflect back to our golden years as it just reminds us of what we had and what we achieved when we had a club just known as the St George Dragons and the head of the club was the legendary man Frank Facer -

"Facer and his staff nurtured the young talent at St George while scouting locally and internationally for talented players to keep the club competitive. The St George Dragons won twelve premierships under his management—eleven from 1956 to 1966 and another in 1977.[3] Facer was responsible for bringing many famous players to, and keeping them at the club,[4] and his recruitment was seen as a key factor in the club's success.[5] He was a highly regarded sports administrator who built a supportive environment in the club for the players and their families; demonstrated regard for the players financial welfare and who was a skilful negotiator and a balanced disciplinarian.[3] He was a member of the NSWRFL board for many years, and was awarded Life Membership of the St. George Dragons Club in 1964.[6]"

This is the real reason why we were head and shoulders better than any other club during Facer's "reign" at the St George Leagues Club. The merging of St George and Illawarra to form the joint venture club of StGeorge Illawarra Dragons has seen us win one premiership (2010) but close to two (1999). The structure with Chairpersons changing every 3 years is diabolical like playing musical chairs which is kids game and in my opinion it likens the board members to being just kids playing with their football club and not doing much else to reinvent what we had. Not even a skerrick. You useless bunch of wankers.

Oh, for another Frank Facer.

Last edited:

Walpole

Juniors
In five years time
I will own the Dragon.
I'll be a dictator with no boards - yet a game show host with Monster chicks hanging off my hip
You guys will have your own section @ Kogarah and the gong to talk and add power to St. George way of life :and the team will be run by Flanagan and we will be looking at a 2nd comps in a row.

Welcome to the New World Order.
So there's still hope!