What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where has Smith gone wrong?

K-Man

Bench
I still stand by my opinion that Smith has been good for the club. Changes needed to be made and for the most part we have looked like an improved side in terms of overall skill and forward power. Had we been one of the luckier sides in terms of the draw and Origin affecting key players, it may well have been a different story.

However, having said that I think Smith has been getting more and more things wrong lately and it is disappointing because I genuinely like the guy and want him to succeed.

Some decisions I don't understand:

1. Dureau either playing hooker or coming off the bench for the last 20 mintues. How did Smith not learn his lesson last week? He even commented on the fact we finally showed some flair at the end of the game. Well of course we did, Dureau brough some quality to the end of our sets and put a kick in for a try.
And what happened again tonight against the Dragons? Dureau comes on and immediately we start scoring our first points of the match. Too little too late.

2. Persistence with Lulia. The guy was a ticking timb bomb for mistakes, and you'd have to think some of those half breaks earlier in the year might've been finished off by Sau who looks good.

3. Inability to improve the discipline. At the start of the season we were giving away far too many stupid penalties. Smith talked about it openly and said we need to work on it. Well have we? It has continued right up until round 17 and doesn't look like stopping now. Poor, poor, poor discipline without the football and the coach does have to answer for that.

4. Wicks. Does anything else need to be said? Pathetic excuse for a first grade front-rower who just doesn't deserve to be there at all.

5. Lack of fire and intensity. I know this is hard to gauge and hard to find any individual to point the finger at, but I just get the feeling that a different style of coach would've found a way to fire the boys up a bit more for some of the crucial matches. We have scored the first try in 2 games out 15 - that is NOT just a coincidence, it's pathetic. Lethargic openings to matches have become a habit and I personally feel that the coach has a responsibility to fix that. If he can't get his players wanting to come out there and rip heads off for him (especially in must-win games), then something is wrong.

Antyhing else you can think of? Or am I being too harsh? I am in no way calling for him to be sacked or suggesting that he should never have come here in the first place. But in my opinion he has some shortcomings.

Last edited:

knights_86

Juniors
agree with most of that kman, but then again i guess our early season form had us have relatively higher expectations and then we have gone down hill since. smith has definitely made some improvements, ie defence and forwards, but like you said he has made a few bad choices. a lot of our poor form can be put down to some of the players too though, they need to take some responsibility for it.

MSKnight

Juniors
LOL @ Houston.

3 runs tonight.

LOL @ Wicks

4 runs tonight.

Thats where his gone wrong.

Burwood

Bench
Two of Wicks' runs were in the last 4 minutes when the game was well and truly out of reach. Too little, too late.

Frederick

Staff member
I can't believe he waited until the 60th to bring Dureau into the game tonight. Honestly, that was mind boggling.

Whats Doing

Bench
Smithy has been good for the club and whilst some recruits have fired, some have failed miserably. Wicks, Lulia and Ciraldo have been duds and Houston for all of his potential just has mistakes in his game in both attack and defence. Vuna has such an inconsistency in his game from brilliant to very poor. I don't believe Wes has lived up to expectations as well.

However the main problem is the consistency in performanced and that we have struggled all year in the halves. Others who have seen Dureau believe he is the answer but again consistency is not there. He went well when he went on tonight but it is a lot different to starting the match.

I think we need to start looking for next year and give Uate a chance and seeing Bailey is going next year, give Dureau a chance otherwise we need to look elsewhere.

Funny how Dureau comes onto the field and the entire momentum swing went back to us. I hate to say it, as I am one of his biggest fans, but Brian Smith is on borrowed time now. His playbook just isn't good enough at this level. The players are good but you need solid senior players to back it all up and take the reins. Simmo looks past his best to me. Tries hard but he is on far too much money. Crossy the same. Justin Poore caned us tonight. How did he miss rep selection? Close to the form forward of the comp. Our backs are hesitant and slow in decision making. MacDougall is a myth. Honestly how can they persist with this twit. His decision making is amateur. Sau is the bright light. What a player of the fututre. Four tries in three games. Makes him our top number 2 tryscorer I believe. Cory Paterson is far too lazy to start at present. He plays one side of the ruck which is the left. Tackles only when he has to. In short his effort doesn't justify the wraps. As for Wicks well at least Perry had a go. We F'ed up big time there and we should all admit as much.

Whats Doing

Bench
I just shook my head in disbelief when Wicks held Ryles up in goal and dead set just let him go to score. What a pea heart

Wobbygong

First Grade
Brian Smith just isn't a winner, he always falls short and will continue to do so his whole career - you blokes needed to sign a Bennett or Bellamy.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I don't think its so much what Brian Smith has done wrong persay, more so that the players who are playing week in and week out (Chris Houston, Danny Wicks, Wes Naiqama I'm looking at you) know they'll be there the next week so they don't put in as much.

KempoKnight

Juniors
I don't think its so much what Brian Smith has done wrong persay, more so that the players who are playing week in and week out (Chris Houston, Danny Wicks, Wes Naiqama I'm looking at you) know they'll be there the next week so they don't put in as much.

I think that is the problem aswell, look at Josh Perry he was pretty much given a spot each week so he played well below his best but now that he is at Manly and has to play to earn his spot he is on fire. It's time Smithy hardens up and tells the slackers that they either step up or get dropped no more second chances.

otori

Juniors
I think that is the problem aswell, look at Josh Perry he was pretty much given a spot each week so he played well below his best but now that he is at Manly and has to play to earn his spot he is on fire. It's time Smithy hardens up and tells the slackers that they either step up or get dropped no more second chances.

Best example of that is Bennet at pretty much ANY year that he coached Brisbane. Their forwards are phenomonal and half of their bench is in Origin because if you don't play well one week, you find yourself on the bench or in QLD Cup. Players like Dave Taylor who tends to be really lazy get shafted if they f**k up. Other players that aren't great but bust themselves consistently to retain their spot (Stagg) find themselves in jumpers. It's a simple equation.

Jono078

Referee
No doubt with team selections in recent times.

I mean Wicks was told to lift his game, he did a bit then went to being sh*t again, he should have been dropped as soon as that happend.

Jumping on the Bailey bandwagon when we all know he cant kick and organise, something we needed, and Dureau and Walsh were available.

Persisting with Wes at fullback after dodgy games there instead of giving a young enthusiastic player a go.

And the team is young, and we have plenty of depth so I reckon we could have allowed for a bit of 'rotation' especially within the back row and front row.

Tafua, White, Walsh, Uate probably should have had some sort of game time this year.

Stranger

Coach
The problem with our squad at the moment is we go
Tackle 1 - Hitup
Tackle 2 - Hitup
Tackle 3 - Hitup
Tackle 4 - Spread the ball straight to centre
Tackle 5 - kick.

EVERY SET. No change in play, no direction, nothing.
I haven't seen a team so desperate for a half-back since Rudder has playing as the half, even then atleast he tried to playmake. Mullen and Bailey are both sh*t playmakers IMO and together they make a pair of sh*t halves.

Put a half in there, mullo to 5/8 and i wouldn't mind to see Bailey in PL tbh.

doggone

Juniors
Sorry guys but the coach doesn't drop balls and make some pretty stupid decisions.

Not a bad effort considering the referee, which I thought was a absolute disgrace.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
The problem with our squad at the moment is we go
Tackle 1 - Hitup
Tackle 2 - Hitup
Tackle 3 - Hitup
Tackle 4 - Spread the ball straight to centre
Tackle 5 - kick.

EVERY SET. No change in play, no direction, nothing.
I haven't seen a team so desperate for a half-back since Rudder has playing as the half, even then atleast he tried to playmake. Mullen and Bailey are both sh*t playmakers IMO and together they make a pair of sh*t halves.

Put a half in there, mullo to 5/8 and i wouldn't mind to see Bailey in PL tbh.
You should be used to that Benny. Its the same boring style of play we've become accustomed to in the NRL.

I just shook my head in disbelief when Wicks held Ryles up in goal and dead set just let him go to score. What a pea heart
The big coaches hook came out after that bastard...how piss poor..and sowards try up the guts of the forwards should have been squashed like a toad

Ummm im wondering what Zeb Taia actually brings to the team.theres no attacking ability there

Latest posts