What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where should the Mid Year & Oceanic Tests be played in 2020?

KokoRugbyLeague

Juniors
View attachment 34792

Worst Scottish team in a decade vs a Samoa team which is...pretty much the same?

Where has the delusion that Samoa are any good come from? That time they went ok against NZ for 40 mins 5 years ago? They aren't worth the trip.
Whats with the anti Samoa they are a great side. They haven't lost to Scotland or any of the euro sides and one of the main reasons rugby league is even talked about at all with the Tongan rivalry because god knows england done f all. England beating samoa yeah that team that lost to png that Samoa beat. Samoa can beat England. I don't know whats up with this attitude about underestimating Samoa at your peril when England got clapped in this series. A change of coach is needed. Oi don't downplay Samoa to lift the others up. That's european teams fault for being not up to standard and england being trash.

Springs09

Juniors
Whats with the anti Samoa they are a great side. They haven't lost to Scotland or any of the euro sides and one of the main reasons rugby league is even talked about at all with the Tongan rivalry because god knows england done f all. England beating samoa yeah that team that lost to png that Samoa beat. Samoa can beat England. I don't know whats up with this attitude about underestimating Samoa at your peril when England got clapped in this series. A change of coach is needed. Oi don't downplay Samoa to lift the others up. That's european teams fault for being not up to standard and england being trash.

They've played Ireland twice and lost twice. Last time they played any European team they drew with Scotland.

yakstorm

First Grade
Samoa has lost to the European sides previously, although in fairness most of these matches were played years ago, simply because the Northern and Southern Hemisphere teams don't meet enough.

Ireland, France, England and Wales all have wins over Samoa, whilst Scotland has a draw.

Regardless, Samoa can be a force, and on paper, have a better squad than what they showed more recently against Fiji and in the 2017 RLWC. For me, Samoa's coaching staff is the issue. Multiple people have claimed now that Parish doesn't really support the players embracing their culture, and considering how they went in the 2014 Four Nations (where they also almost beat England, and from being at the match in Wollongong, were closer than the scoreline indicated), haven't really kicked on.

Anyway, from a selfish point of view, with England now almost locked in to play Samoa, I hope the match is at Bankwest, I hope SBW plays, and I look forward to being at the game.

Springs09

Juniors
I love statements that are based on a sample size of one.

And what else can we sample it on? Samoa have been shithouse since then, they got smashed by Fiji in their most recent game. Scotland since then has only played qualifiers against other Euro sides with only half their best side available if that.

But yeah Samoa is better than Scotland just because.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Samoa is probably judged on potential currently rather than their present reality. From a few reports recently the players would prefer not to play under the current coach and it may also be preventing some eligible players from coming across (not sure if Milford is in this boat but he would be a massive plus for them if he committed consistently).

The potential I mentioned, if a different coach is installed is:

SBW
RTS (Samoan born)
NAS
Milford
Papali

Add that to the existing squad and they become quite a formidable international side. I'm sure the desire is there as they watch on with envy as their great rivals Tonga achieve success beyond their wildest dreams.

adamkungl

Immortal
Here's what should happen

England - stay home and play in your own hemisphere

NZ v Tonga - Polynesian Cup, annual fixture between the 2 top ranked nations in the Polynesia sub-region. Hosted in NZ. Decided by rankings at the start of the year. Expandable to 3 games.

Samoa v Cook Islands - Polynesian Shield. ^ as above, but the 3rd and 4th ranked nations. Hosting alternates between participants or played as a curtain raise to NZ game?

PNG v Fiji - Melanesian Shield. annual fixture between the 2 top ranked nations in the Melanesia sub-region. Hosting alternates between PNG and Fiji. Decided by rankings at the start of the year. Expandable to 3 games.

^ none of these games should be included in the Oceania Cup. Separate trophies. Let the post-season be its own thing. Disjointed tournaments confuse punters and don't interest media.

Could also mirror this with a Mediterranean Cup for Italy, Greece, Lebanon, Malta. But I'm hesitant to encourage these teams playing overwhelmingly in Sydney rather than Europe, despite their NRL contingent.
If they can make money in Sydney to ensure they can play in their home countries post-season, then sure.

Latest posts